Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 10:34 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times

Advertisements

Does the facility have web cams you can log into to watch him?

That's what I would do.

When we go out of town, we get a house sitter. I figure if we're gone, they can at least be in their home with someone they know and keep their schedules. They are pretty attached to their schedules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 12:01 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,978,292 times
I would probably recommend against visiting him. Yes he will be happy and excited to see you but watching you walk away every time will likely cause him more stress than hanging out at the boarding facility.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:33 AM

90 posts, read 311,771 times
We were in the same situation just recently. We decided to just leave her be, because we thought she might think she was going home each time we saw her. In the end, she had a blast with the other dogs, and was a happy girl.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:50 PM

857 posts, read 2,216,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
Yes you should absolutely visit him. If you don't want to get him over-excited, make your visits very relaxing and low key. Don't go in squealing and making fast movements. He'll calm down after the initial excitement of seeing you walk in. Give him a slow massage.

Go visit him (if for no other reason) to check and make sure his area is clean, he seems to be in good health, that sort of thing. Your dog will also be given better treatment if the employees at the facility know you'll be around!! It is human nature. They'll step it up a notch knowing you will be monitoring the situation - even if they already normally do a great job.

Your dog's age, the boarding set-up you've described, and the short duration of his stay all bode well for you. This should probably work out and be a healthy part of your dog's development.
I have to agree with this.

I would want to know my dogs hygiene is being kept up and check on him/her.

Old 11-23-2012, 05:42 PM

621 posts, read 1,421,789 times
As the owner of a small kennel, my answer is NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY? Not because I am afraid of what you may see. Not because I keep a bad operation. But because your dog needs to be allowed the time to adjust, fit in, relax, eat, drink. Owners popping in and out are horrible for the dog!

Call them, every day if you wish. But when you call have good realistic questions. Ask how he is doing, is he eating, drinking and ok.

If you have him in a good place, leave him be. Don't get his anxiety level ramped up over and over and over again. The poor pooch won't know if he's coming or going. Allow him to get attached somewhat to those taking care of him without fretting about you 24/7.And you go and enjoy your trip as well!

Old 11-23-2012, 05:45 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
We never board our dog and never will. If there are no pet friendly hotels or family available we just don't go. Actually that was before, this past summer we bought a Motorhome so that issue no longer exists.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:45 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
I once boared my dog in between finding a place to live. They slept at the vet & stayed with my boss But after work & before the Vets Office closed the dogs were with ME! Cant you got get the dogs & have them with you by day? I would.

Since this is after Thanksgiving I for one would like to know what you did & how it went! UPDATE PLEASE!!

Old 11-26-2012, 09:22 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,562,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justnice View Post
We'll be staying in a hotel that does not allow pets ( we're going with several other families ).
The boarding facility was refered by the hotel, and we're renting him a 8x8 luxury suite with a tV, so he'll have planty of room to move around. Plus he'll be included in the doggy daycare where he'll get the chance to mingle with other dogs his size. We're thinking of seeing him once a day, probably in the evening, but we're wondering if that will get him too excited. Anyone had an experience like this?
Why would someone take their dog on vacation only to stick him in a boarding facility???? I'm sorry, but I don't get it. There are lots of hotels that take dogs, why not pick one of them?
I tend to think you visiting him makes a bad situation worse. Let him get accustomed to being away from you, if that what you want for him. I would hope you would make an effort to find a daycare when you get home, so he doesn't have to be alone so much. Or a friend or relative that can spend time with your dog, since you are so busy.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post
As the owner of a small kennel, my answer is NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY? Not because I am afraid of what you may see. Not because I keep a bad operation. But because your dog needs to be allowed the time to adjust, fit in, relax, eat, drink. Owners popping in and out are horrible for the dog!

Call them, every day if you wish. But when you call have good realistic questions. Ask how he is doing, is he eating, drinking and ok.

If you have him in a good place, leave him be. Don't get his anxiety level ramped up over and over and over again. The poor pooch won't know if he's coming or going. Allow him to get attached somewhat to those taking care of him without fretting about you 24/7.And you go and enjoy your trip as well!
I agree

Old 11-26-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
We never board our dog and never will. If there are no pet friendly hotels or family available we just don't go. Actually that was before, this past summer we bought a Motorhome so that issue no longer exists.
You are awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs