Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 01:30 PM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times

Advertisements

Well, after Thanksgiving dinner yesterday, we decided to take what we thought would be a leisurely walk with our 2 dogs (Rinnie - mixed breed, 60 lbs, 7 years old & Yellow Dog - lab, 60 lbs, about 9 years old probably) and we (my husband, myself and our adult son with DD) had walked a couple blocks when I looked over to see two pitbulls running toward us from a yard across the street from where we were. They can run REALLY fast. They did not look to be wanting to make friends although they were terribly big and I am thinking after the fact that they must have been under a year old and beautiful dogs actually, probably they got two pups from the same litter which I would consider part of the mistake they had made. I had a knuckle blaster, a stun gun which I turned on. This has been effective in the past with other dogs because the noise and spark usually cause them to stop and think. OK, the pitbulls were not the stop and think type. I cannot remember a lot of what happened except that each time one tried to put their mouth on either dog, I touched them with the stun gun but since it was only lightly because of the movement, they would regroup but come back to get another "charge" until eventually they seemed to catch on and the owners, who were actually in the yard, managed to get them to come to them which took much longer than you would think. One of the young women had came to the street to see if we and our dogs were alright. I told her "This cannot happen again." She said that she understood and they had a pen but no one knows how they got out. The older gentleman seemed very angry with the two younger guys who I am guessing were supposed to be responsible for the dogs. I get so angry with people who have to have one of these dogs, or worse yet two and worse yet from the same litter. Pitbulls are legal here. There is a family that rides their bikes together and they have two pits that they run along side of the bikes and they are a great family including the dogs. In our previous city, no pits were allowed yet some people had them and one passed by on our sidewalk with their owner several times and the dog never paid any mind to our dog who was on the porch or walking on the same sidewalk. I let this slide and hope that they will realize how serious this could have been and get their act together. The worst incident with just Rinnie and I was when a Siberian Husky grabbed her by the neck when we were walking and that dog would not let go until the owner came for it. We had another incident with a black lab. So, I'm getting an additional stun gun with a longer reach. Yeah, I know it wasn't the dogs fault but I have every intention of protecting myself, my family and our dogs.

Old 11-23-2012, 03:21 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,268,930 times
Well, I think the lesson here is "it can happen with any breed". Irresponsible people...ugh.

Get a cattle prod. They come in various lengths and aren't too heavy. It gives you the reach and the jolt you want without injuring the other dog seriously, but they WILL think again before coming back. The only thing is that you don't get a sustained burst of shock - you have to strike, let go of the button, and then press the button and go in again...but it will do the job.

You don't deserve to be terrorized by any dog at any time for any reason. All that being said, I think I'd be avoiding the street where this happened. Clearly these folks don't have control physically or psychologically of their dogs.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:09 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,634,102 times
I agree with Sam I Am, 100%. It's the owners, not the breed (you yourself mentioned issues with other breeds). The cattle prod will do the trick and can be purchased at your local feed / general store or online. The idea is not to hurt the offending animal but protect you, your family and dogs.

Too bad you can't use the prod on the owners, of the offending dogs!

Old 11-24-2012, 09:24 AM

561 posts, read 1,512,528 times
I'm sure the pits hit the fence and went under. I have two pits and one learned early that she could hit the fence with force and slip under--and it's a chain link fence. I didn't realize this was how she got out until her second (and final) escape. Immediately I went online and found fence stakes, which worked great. I have a large yard and in a rural area, but didn't want her getting out at all! The stakes soon arrived and we pounded them in the ground and they don't budge. Yep, she thought she was so smart and tried to barrel through again, but bounced off with a look of surprise!

Of course, the problem is with the owners, not the dogs. I don't think there is a solution for irresponsible owners. If you feel comfortable speaking with them, perhaps you can mention their dogs may be going under the fence and that can be corrected. I can't stand owners who have dogs (or any other pet, for that matter) and don't spend time with them or supervise properly. Even a "fenced-in" dog can escape, and it's the owner's responsibility to ensure that does not happen.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ynot View Post
I'm sure the pits hit the fence and went under. I have two pits and one learned early that she could hit the fence with force and slip under--and it's a chain link fence. I didn't realize this was how she got out until her second (and final) escape. Immediately I went online and found fence stakes, which worked great. I have a large yard and in a rural area, but didn't want her getting out at all! The stakes soon arrived and we pounded them in the ground and they don't budge. Yep, she thought she was so smart and tried to barrel through again, but bounced off with a look of surprise!

Of course, the problem is with the owners, not the dogs. I don't think there is a solution for irresponsible owners. If you feel comfortable speaking with them, perhaps you can mention their dogs may be going under the fence and that can be corrected. I can't stand owners who have dogs (or any other pet, for that matter) and don't spend time with them or supervise properly. Even a "fenced-in" dog can escape, and it's the owner's responsibility to ensure that does not happen.

^^^Again, total agreement! My last adoptee is a three time escape artist. The last time he escaped (third time) his previous owners relinquished him to the county shelter. He sat there for six months before I adopted him.

The first two months he was with me in the backyard, he was leashed. Yes, it fenced but I had his previous record in mind and was determined NOT to let him escape on my watch.

After the two months of taking him out on the leash and working his on his boundaries, he got to go out in the backyard but with strict supervision...(me.)

This furbaby (Diesel) had zero boundaries before he came here. To him because of his size, fences are a visual barrier, not really a physical. I have seen him play linebacker with the garden fence. (You know the sleds used in football with the offensive and defensive line? Well the football players line up against the "sled" and then tackle it pushing with all their might to simulate move the opposing team.)

Well Diesel when pushing this fence looks like a linebacker trying to move the sled. He gets a running charge and if he doesn't break through, repeats the process until he makes it through the fence.

Know what he wants? A dang tree rat. Yes, the all important squirrel. It has been chattering and flicking it's tail, taunting him. Diesel believes that all squirrels (all vermin really) should be kill and destroyed. They are a health hazard to humans and canines and should not be allowed around the house or yard!!!

Thing is, I can't just let him run around the yard unsupervised. There will be no escape attempts on my watch

I adopted Diesel a year ago last July, there has not been one escape attempt.

Point being, I knew his history and took the necessary precautions to make sure history did not repeat itself. I love my furbaby and want to keep him safe. (You can go to my album and see him.) I am doing whatever it takes.

Mind you, he is my love bug of a dog! Loves people, loves dogs, HIGH prey drive...I love to watch him put his nose to the ground and track a scent! LOVE IT!!! He would not hurt you but if you saw this 80 pounds of muscle running to greet you, it would be unnerving.

Anyway, I still keep him in the house with me or in the backyard to chase his brother Spanky and do their business.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:26 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvABull.Denver View Post

Too bad you can't use the prod on the owners, of the offending dogs!
totally agree

Old 11-24-2012, 02:10 PM

25,957 posts, read 22,107,325 times
We have decided to alter our route as we live about 3 blocks from the family. I don't know them well enough and only the younger woman came to the street while probably 5 or 6 other family members were outside of the house, it appeared an angry mob as they were screaming at one another about who might have let the dogs out of the pen. I had thought about a cattle prod but wondered if it would have enough "punch".

Old 11-24-2012, 04:02 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,268,930 times
It does. I've seen it in action :-)

Amazing, isn't it, that the family will fight about who let the dogs out or let them escape, when apparently no one was in charge. People just mystify me daily.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
We have decided to alter our route as we live about 3 blocks from the family. I don't know them well enough and only the younger woman came to the street while probably 5 or 6 other family members were outside of the house, it appeared an angry mob as they were screaming at one another about who might have let the dogs out of the pen. I had thought about a cattle prod but wondered if it would have enough "punch".
Okay, let's remove a myth. Pit bulls or any "pit" dog have a high pain tolerance or don't "feel as much" pain as any other breed.

This is a myth. All dogs do the exact same thing when they step on stickers, goats' heads, thorns, etc., they immediately pick up their paw(s). It hurts!

Electricity feels funky, too and they (all dogs / animals) won't like it. Believe Sam I Am and myself when we say a cattle prod works, because it does. It will get their attention and if the owner doesn't like it, then they need to do a better job of containing their dogs / animals.

I carry a walking stick which came in handy when the Doberman across the street was visiting and not restrained.

It happen to be just Diesel that day but as we came up the street, here comes the Doberman at full speed. I think he is friendly enough but I don't know him well enough so, I blocked him with the walking stick. When he got close enough, I slammed it (walking stick) down in his path three or four times, each time with a firm "NO" and he had this deer in the headlights look. Like, how do I go around this stick? By now his people are calling him back and he retreats.

No harm, no foul. Walking stick worked

Old 11-25-2012, 11:16 AM

1,077 posts, read 3,237,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Well, I think the lesson here is "it can happen with any breed". Irresponsible people...ugh.
Funny how you never see any posts about charging Pugs though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs