Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 11:28 AM

1,930 posts, read 10,172,729 times

Advertisements

Destiny's pink spot seems to be going away. It almost looks like it's collapsed in the center part of it. It looks like it's starting to shrivel up?? If by tomorrow it doesn't look any better than it does today, I'm definitely going to get her into the vet, but last night it looked like it was getting better and now today it looks even better than it did last night.

OMG! Brooklyn is driving me nuts, but I almost feel bad for him! He wants to get to Jayda sooo bad! He starts shaking and going crazy! I have been making him stay away from her since 7am and I finally just put him in his crate because I can't get anything done. He just threw up too! I'm sure he's not sick, I think he's just so worked up because I won't let him get to Jayda that he threw up. He will sit as close as he can get to her and just stare her down. Every now and then he will stand up to go over to her and I stand up and get right in front of him so he can't move. Then he will start to whine and shake! He's in his crate right now and he's whining and barking. I feel so bad that I have to put him in his crate, but right now I don't know what else to do. I'm scared that he might bite me! He's acting so crazy! I called the place that we want to take Jayda to and the number I got for them is disconnected, but I know where the place is, so I'm about to just drive down there. I'm really not worried about Jayda being pregnant anymore. I talked to my mom (My mom's mom bred Dobermans for years) on the phone yesterday and I explained what all happened and she said the same thing that APBT_Samara said. She said that there really wasn't enough time for anything to happen. I was away from them for maybe 3 minutes and when I walked back in the room Brooklyn was just looking all crazy and sniffing her. But, just to be on the safe side and to get Brooklyn to leave her alone, I want to get her spayed right now! We have to get Jayda spayed and Brooklyn neutered anyway, I guess it's good that this happened, I obviously needed some motivation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 11:40 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
When we got Desy spayed, we ended up with a $508.42 vet bill! As long as we can get Brooklyn and Jayda each done for $200 or less we can get them both done at the same time, or as close together as the vet can get them in. I'm calling a few different places tomorrow and once we decide which one we should go with I'm going to make both appointments for as soon as possible!
I know you're somewhere out near Clay county or you visit Clay county?

Just my own experience, but we have not had good luck with the Clay County Humane Society.

They botched a mouth surgery on one of our cats years back....forgot to close the wound! The cat was living with another family member at the time, so we were not there for the surgery, but by the time we took the cat in a year or two later, the botched job was discovered as an abcess had developed in the spot . There was also a cremation that went awry.

My husband had used them for a dog neutering once though and it turned out fine, so it's not like they are terrible, but once I was in the picture, I did not like what I saw and we switched to private vets.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:51 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,270,385 times
Quote:
Destiny's pink spot seems to be going away. It almost looks like it's collapsed in the center part of it. It looks like it's starting to shrivel up?? If by tomorrow it doesn't look any better than it does today, I'm definitely going to get her into the vet, but last night it looked like it was getting better and now today it looks even better than it did last night.
PBM, my Annie has almost what you are describing from time to time - hers is actually around her nipple and eventually it will burst and leak fluid, like an impacted mammary gland. That may be what you are seeing - and when Annie's collapses or implodes or whatever it does, it collapses at the center. Have you seen any fluid come from it? Does she act like it's bothering her? I can usually tell because one of the other dogs will start licking her incessantly and sure enough, in a couple of days we'll have a spot. We had one that got huge - I won't disgust you with the gory details, but it was bad. We had some Cephalexin or some kind of antibiotic around here - I depend on my husband to tell me what to give for different things - and it cleared up. It almost looks like a boil when it starts, and I think that's what you're seeing. It may have burst without you even knowing.

Since we humans are known not to take all of our antibiotics the doctor gives us, if you have any extras around there please tell me what they are and I'll have my husband check on it for you. He's a pharmacist and works closely with our vet in deciding which antibiotics are best for what.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
I know you're somewhere out near Clay county or you visit Clay county?

Just my own experience, but we have not had good luck with the Clay County Humane Society.

They botched a mouth surgery on one of our cats years back....forgot to close the wound! The cat was living with another family member at the time, so we were not there for the surgery, but by the time we took the cat in a year or two later, the botched job was discovered as an abcess had developed in the spot . There was also a cremation that went awry.

My husband had used them for a dog neutering once though and it turned out fine, so it's not like they are terrible, but once I was in the picture, I did not like what I saw and we switched to private vets.
Well, we live in Flagler county right now. I have lived in Duval and Clay pretty much my whole life though and because we are so close to there and we still have family there we do take our pups up there sometimes. But we have never been to the Clay County Humane Society. Just out of curiosity, is it off of 220? I use to live in Eagle Harbor and I remember there being a shelter or something off of 220 towards Lake Asbury. I think it was right by Knight Box? But I don't know if that's the Humane Society or not? Anyway, we got Desy spayed in Jax, the Argyle Animal Clinic right off of Blanding and Argyle Forest. We are looking at some places in Daytona to get Jayda spayed though because it's a little closer and they do the low coast spay and neuter. I'm about to go to the Halifax Humane Society in Daytona to see if they can get her in sometime soon. If they can't then I'm going to see if ARNI in Daytona will. We might also call the ASPCA of central Florida, but only if we can't get her in anywhere else. Thanks for letting me know about the Clay County Humane Society though. We will be moving back to the Jacksonville/ Orange Park area next August (hopefully! ), so I will remember to not take my pups there!

Old 10-16-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
PBM, my Annie has almost what you are describing from time to time - hers is actually around her nipple and eventually it will burst and leak fluid, like an impacted mammary gland. That may be what you are seeing - and when Annie's collapses or implodes or whatever it does, it collapses at the center. Have you seen any fluid come from it? Does she act like it's bothering her? I can usually tell because one of the other dogs will start licking her incessantly and sure enough, in a couple of days we'll have a spot. We had one that got huge - I won't disgust you with the gory details, but it was bad. We had some Cephalexin or some kind of antibiotic around here - I depend on my husband to tell me what to give for different things - and it cleared up. It almost looks like a boil when it starts, and I think that's what you're seeing. It may have burst without you even knowing.

Since we humans are known not to take all of our antibiotics the doctor gives us, if you have any extras around there please tell me what they are and I'll have my husband check on it for you. He's a pharmacist and works closely with our vet in deciding which antibiotics are best for what.
Yeah, that sounds like the same thing. It did look like it has some puss on and around it, like it had just popped last time I looked at it. But it was just clear stuff. It's almost like a blister, you know? Like when you pop a blister, that's what it looks like now. It is right by her nipples too. It doesn't seem to bother her at all, but yesterday she was licking it alot and now today it looks like it's starting to go away. As far as meds, we don't have much. We have Tylenol and then I'm pretty sure we have some penicillin and Loratabs left over from when Serg had a toothache, but that's been a while ago now, I'm not sure if they are expired or not? And of course we have alcohol and peroxide. Let me see if we have anything else, I'll be right back.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that sounds like the same thing. It did look like it has some puss on and around it, like it had just popped last time I looked at it. But it was just clear stuff. It's almost like a blister, you know? Like when you pop a blister, that's what it looks like now. It is right by her nipples too. It doesn't seem to bother her at all, but yesterday she was licking it alot and now today it looks like it's starting to go away. As far as meds, we don't have much. We have Tylenol and then I'm pretty sure we have some penicillin and Loratabs left over from when Serg had a toothache, but that's been a while ago now, I'm not sure if they are expired or not? And of course we have alcohol and peroxide. Let me see if we have anything else, I'll be right back.
NO TYLENOL! TOXIC!! Coated aspirin only for pain and fever unless the vet gives it...No Lortab, that's for pain and is a narcotic.

If the fluid is clear I wouldn't worry about it too much - if there was any pus, it's gone and is starting to heal. She may have cleaned it herself. Penicillin is okay if you have any infected looking material coming from it, but it sounds like you're out of the woods - then again, I'm not a vet, I'm a frustrated surgeon!

You know, we get all twisted about every little thing that happens with these guys, but as my vet reminds me all the time - Mother Nature will cure a lot of things. Sounds like it's on it's way to healing...if she can lick the area, Neosporin won't do any good...you might try dabbing just a little peroxide on it to start drying it up, but not much...too much peroxide will actually kill the tissue off.

On the other issue - boy, am I glad I'm not at your house...

Old 10-16-2007, 12:32 PM

114 posts, read 343,709 times
OK, I feel like a total thread hijacker...but I just have a teeny question for Sam I Am.........My 4 yr old Lab Lace has a rash, which the Vet really hasn't been able to pin down....not any sort of flea or other bug, either it is food or environmental. Either way, my Vet suggested a short course of Prednisone for her. I put it on hold until I could do some research. I know the side effects in humans. Would you be so kind as to ask your husband whether Dogs react to it the same way? If so I really don't want to give it unless ALL other avenues have been exhausted. I completely understand if you are hesitant to ask, I will form my own conclusion in the end, I am just trying to gather info. Thanks!

Old 10-16-2007, 12:42 PM

Ah...no husband needed!

I had a boy that had erlichia and hemolytic anemia, requiring round after round of pred just to keep him alive. I am assuming this is a very short course of prednisone? No long term effects in short doses - and no real hyperactivity like humans develop. Sort of like if you take a dose pack for a sinus infection or something - as long as it's short term, no worries - it's only when they are on it day after day that you can develop problems. In our situation, our Rottie boy would have died without it - unfortunately, we'll not know the long term effects for a very long time. But I think you're all good if it's just a little bit for a short time to clear up a rash.

Kim won't mind that you hijacked her thread a little bit - we're all friends here - and bring your problems to Dr. Sam (although I really think I'd make a better back surgeon if someone would just give me my own scalpel.....)

Old 10-16-2007, 01:06 PM

114 posts, read 343,709 times
Ahhh, thanks SO much!! I really have been going round and round about this one. The cortizone cream just isn't helping her. I think I will go ahead with it, the vet said a short course, it isn't a severe situation as of yet, we are just trying to keep it from becoming one! I see the vet in a few days for my other little guy anyway, I'll give her the 'go ahead' then. Thanks "Doc"

Old 10-16-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemingway View Post
Ahhh, thanks SO much!! I really have been going round and round about this one. The cortizone cream just isn't helping her. I think I will go ahead with it, the vet said a short course, it isn't a severe situation as of yet, we are just trying to keep it from becoming one! I see the vet in a few days for my other little guy anyway, I'll give her the 'go ahead' then. Thanks "Doc"

Hemingway -

OOOOOhhhhhhh......forgot to say - it will make the pupper pee a lot - and drink a lot - so frequent trips outside are a must, and there could be a couple of accidents...if you have white carpet, you might want to set your alarm!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs