Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 02:25 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times

Advertisements

OK, I'll admit that I think that Artie is the funniest guy in the world but he totally outdid himself with this gem.

Last Sunday morning, we were leaving for Florida for the week. On the way to the airport, we were going to drop off Artie at his previous mama's house, which is what we have done often. He loves her, he loves her family when they visit, it's all good -- a total love-fest.

When I pack for trips like this, I always pack Artie's stuff in the same bag -- a big black duffel bag with a zipper. (The fact that MY bag was less than half the size of his is hilarious too, but that's not the best part of the story.)

So I packed his bag on Saturday night. Blankets, toys, poo bags, treats, food, a t-shirt of mine, the whole nine yards.

Sunday morning, we get up as usual, go out, have breakfast, blah blah blah, and then I go take a shower. When I step out of the shower, I see Artie leaving the bathroom (he always comes in with me) with his head down, all sheepish, like he's done something wrong. Whatever. I put stuff in my hair, wrap myself in a towel, and am about to head to my office (at home) to send some emails. Artie's bag is in my office, which is where we hang out together every day. But first I glance the other way, to the living room, and see a box of poo bags. Huh? Those are kept in a closet, except for the box that was in his duffel. What the...?

I go get the box and then go to my office. There's Artie bag -- UNZIPPED now! -- with each and every thing on the floor, next to the bag.

ARTIE UNPACKED! He unzipped his bag somehow and unpacked!!! "Nope. Not gonna go. Thanks, though." (He went. He had a great time.)

I was laughing hysterically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 04:00 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,587,684 times
Ha Ha I guess that was his way of saying that YOU should not go. Artie is a clever boy! I am glad he did enjoy his vacation even after his protest and hope you enjoyed your week too.

Old 11-24-2012, 04:02 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,021,497 times
That is really, really funny. He is a very smart dog!

Old 11-24-2012, 04:06 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,270,385 times
Artie is quite the character! I guess he wanted to celebrate the holidays at home? Or maybe he didn't feel the urge to travel quite so heavily this time...or if he left something behind maybe you'd change your mind and cancel YOUR vacation?

Artie, Artie - your mama loves you enough to put up with your antics! Now you love her back and apologize for slowing down the schedule :-)

Old 11-24-2012, 04:40 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,880 times
Ohhh Artie...what a world traveler.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:48 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,634,291 times
What a great story!!! Smart boy!

Old 11-25-2012, 03:17 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Sounds pretty typical for Artie. Hope you all enjoyed your vacation.
Tell us again why Artie is now with you and not with his original mother.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:59 AM

Thanks, guys. I figured you'd get a giggle out of his antics too. It completely cracked me up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Sounds pretty typical for Artie. Hope you all enjoyed your vacation.
Tell us again why Artie is now with you and not with his original mother.
I'm betting that Artie's vacation was even better than mine. And that's fine!

Artie's history is as follows:

He was abused as a puppy (we don't know the details and I'm happy about that) and somehow found himself in a shelter in Washington, D.C.

Melissa (his original mother; I can't count his people previous to her as human) adopted him from the shelter in 2004, when he was just under two years old, and brought him to CT where she lived.

In 2006, she and her fiance broke up and, because she travels so much for work, she couldn't keep him and rely on friends to babysit for him every other week. So she placed an ad -- on Craigslist, of all places -- but was very specific about who she'd give him to, given his "issues" of aggression, etc... I passed the test. In fact, I was the only one who responded to the ad who she granted a meeting.

I asked her if she wanted to keep in touch or if it would be too difficult for her. She said she'd like to keep in touch, if that was OK with me. It was. Being new to CT at the time, we didn't have a network of people, so the first time we wanted to go away, I asked her if she wanted to babysit for him. She jumped at the chance. Most times we go away now, I have someone stay at my house with Artie, but when the stars are aligned and she's not traveling, he goes to stay with her, which is great fun for both of them.

She's really a terrific girl and she loves him so much, so it's nice that we kept this relationship going even after we moved from CT to MA. I couldn't ask for a better situation.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 11-25-2012 at 06:04 AM..

Old 11-25-2012, 05:49 AM

48,129 posts, read 22,002,483 times
Artie turned out to be a "lucky dog" (finally) having two Mommies who love him....and a forever home that can appreciate his antics. He is not only "lucky" he is a delight and a very handsome boy.

Thanks for sharing the story....."Artie Unpacks".

Old 11-25-2012, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Artie turned out to be a "lucky dog" (finally) having two Mommies who love him....and a forever home that can appreciate his antics. He is not only "lucky" he is a delight and a very handsome boy.

Thanks for sharing the story....."Artie Unpacks".
You know what's ironic, Elston? I have his paperwork from when Melissa saved him from the shelter and his name is "Happy" on the form. I can't imagine that his first owners named him "Happy" -- I'm guessing that he was given the name when he came to the shelter. I'm also guessing that he was happier in the shelter than in his first home. And I take solace and pride that he's happiest with me. And, yes, lucky... that Melissa saved him and gave him his first taste of true happiness. I will gladly feed him happiness for the rest of his life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs