U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 07:31 PM

4,835 posts, read 4,819,142 times

Advertisements

I have a 3 1/2 year old mini American Eskimo...He is the love of my life and is a very sweet pup. However, he is very picky when it comes to eating and can lose weight quickly. He is healthy by the way....but so picky

Anyone know of any good food I could give him so he can fatten up a bit? Someone I know suggested eggs. I found that a bit odd!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 08:31 PM

482 posts, read 720,508 times
I am going to assume your dog is healthy, because you said he is.

Here is what I feed to add weight to my dogs:
Mix in a large bowl:
5 lbs of the cheapest 73/27 ground beef, raw
2 bricks of full fat cream cheese, softened
1 dozen raw eggs
1 large jar of peanut butter
2 cups of vegetable or canola oil

Mix together with your hands until it is all equally incorporated

Then add 1/2-1 container of quick oats. Add a little at a time. The only thing these are for is to bind the mixture together into something that can be formed into a ball.

Then, roll into balls about the size of a large scoop of ice cream, but smaller than a baseball. Lay them on a cookie sheet which has been lined with parchment paper. Put the cookie sheet into the freezer for about 1-2 hours, until frozen. Then put them into a gallon ziploc bag and keep frozen. Take out 3 at a time and feed. Frozen or slightly thawed. I make sure to feed it on the tile floor so if they pull them out of the bowl I can disinfect. As long as these balls stay completely frozen for 48 hours before feeding there will be no parasites or anything else in the raw foods.

Like I said, I'm assuming your dog is healthy. I feed these to my growing dogs who can not consume enough calories per day to keep up. I have giant breed dogs and these will put on weight in literally less than a week. I make sure to feed them after all meals are done so it does not keep them from eating regular meals. Good Luck.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:18 AM

9,570 posts, read 10,909,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonAndJulie View Post
I am going to assume your dog is healthy, because you said he is.

Here is what I feed to add weight to my dogs:
Mix in a large bowl:
5 lbs of the cheapest 73/27 ground beef, raw
2 bricks of full fat cream cheese, softened
1 dozen raw eggs
1 large jar of peanut butter
2 cups of vegetable or canola oil

Mix together with your hands until it is all equally incorporated

Then add 1/2-1 container of quick oats. Add a little at a time. The only thing these are for is to bind the mixture together into something that can be formed into a ball.

Then, roll into balls about the size of a large scoop of ice cream, but smaller than a baseball. Lay them on a cookie sheet which has been lined with parchment paper. Put the cookie sheet into the freezer for about 1-2 hours, until frozen. Then put them into a gallon ziploc bag and keep frozen. Take out 3 at a time and feed. Frozen or slightly thawed. I make sure to feed it on the tile floor so if they pull them out of the bowl I can disinfect. As long as these balls stay completely frozen for 48 hours before feeding there will be no parasites or anything else in the raw foods.

Like I said, I'm assuming your dog is healthy. I feed these to my growing dogs who can not consume enough calories per day to keep up. I have giant breed dogs and these will put on weight in literally less than a week. I make sure to feed them after all meals are done so it does not keep them from eating regular meals. Good Luck.
DON"T DO IT. IT'S A RECIPE FOR POTENTIALLY FATAL PANCREATITIS.

Please check with your vet if you don't believe me. Cooked eggs are OK as well as cottage cheese and lean meat. But do not give fat.

I have a 13 1/2 year old American Eskimo. His proper weight is about forty pounds but he's always up or down a bit. When I got him ten years ago he weighed twenty-one pounds. However, he gained weight well when he could eat away from other dogs and found a wet dog food he liked. Try some different brands; you'll find one that works.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:10 AM

16,666 posts, read 26,731,689 times
I know that when others have rescued a new dog who is underweight, "satin balls" have been recommended on this forum. This is not something that should be part of a steady diet, though, I imagine. You can google it for recipes.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:58 AM

482 posts, read 720,508 times
That recipe IS Satin Balls. People feed them every single day to dogs that need weight. I hope the OP does check with their vet. People with years and years of experience raising dogs will give you this recipe, too. They all vary slightly but mainly have the same ingredients.

Google Satin Balls for more info. Good Luck..

Old 11-27-2012, 08:00 AM

I've never seen a recipe for satin balls that have cream cheese and peanut butter. This is the one that I keep seeing:

10 lbs cheap hamburger (high fat %)
1 large box Total cereal (about 12 cups cereal)
1 large box uncooked oatmeal (about 15 cups oats)
10 raw eggs (you can leave the shell in, too)
1 15oz jar wheat germ
10 packages Knox unflavored gelatin
1 and 1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 and 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
Pinch of salt

Old 11-27-2012, 10:08 AM

22,653 posts, read 28,660,433 times
He's healthy, so leave it alone. Thin is healthy and if you keep trying to coax him to eat something better, you will turn him into a monster with food control issues.

Choose a quality food he likes, feed him twice a day. Put the food down, leave it for about 10 minutes. He eats or he doesn't. If he doesn't, take the food up without comment and do not offer anything else until the next meal.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:19 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,033,610 times
SATIN BALLS

There are different ways of making it demonstrated by our folks here.

Is he being picky or he just doesn't like the food. If he doesn't like the food its one thing but if he's being picky, tell him to suck it up butter cup. I healthy dog won't starve themselves. I agree with oregonwoodsmoke.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:22 AM

OK, I mentioned satin balls, although I never made them or fed them to Artie. Artie is a very picky guy and only eats when he's hungry. That's why I leave his food in his bowl for when he wants it. If I picked it up after 10 or 20 minutes, he'd never get to eat. His stomach's schedule is his own. Sometimes he's eaten his breakfast at 2 PM.

But as for being finicky...

This is what I do. It would drive any normal person insane, but this is what I do:

Morning
--------
- 1 cup kibble in bowl (Taste of the Wild -- either venison/bison or the fowl flavor, depending on which bag we're on)
- a sprinkling of liver dust (this is PureBites food topper, in liver flavor, that I've pulverized into dust)
- half a hamburger broken up (I've since burnt out on making hamburgers and freezing them, so I'm using Stella & Chewy's freeze-dried beef patties, and break up half of one)
- a thin layer of chicken breast, covering most of his bowl (I make a half dozen chicken breasts in the crock pot, shred them when they'e done, and separate into baggies that I freeze so I always have some on hand)

Evening
--------
- kibble (same as morning)
- liver dust (same as morning)
- one piece (bite-size) of hot dog, cut up into teeny-tiny pieces
- half of a Stella & Chewy's DUCK patty, broken up
- chicken (same as morning)
- 7-8 frozen green beans, thawed in my hand under warm water

Once per week or so (or when I remember), I'll scramble an egg for him and incorporate that into his dinner.

Yes. It's ridiculous. Otherwise, though, Artie won't eat. He has a very sensitive stomach, not food-motivated, very finicky, likes a new kibble for a few weeks then loses interest -- but show him his chicken jerky treat and he'll most likely happily take it.

I'm not suggesting that you do what I do for Artie -- the lengths that I go to are totally crazy -- but I think what works for Artie is that there's other stuff, other than kibble, in his bowl (obviously stuff that doesn't set off his sensitive tummy), so that there's variety of flavor. He's spoiled rotten and it's totally my own fault but, in all honesty, kibble alone just doesn't do it for him. Never has, since the day he came to me (and he's now 9 years old). So, I do what I have to do to keep him fed and healthy.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:45 AM

12,432 posts, read 31,483,930 times
Hes Young Healthy I will assume Active! What you want a Fat Couch Potatoe! Make sure YOU are Feeding Haeathy Foods & enough for his activity level. Try Higher concentrated foods. Higher in Protien/Carbs/etc I check into Puppy Foods or Foods designed for Sporting breeds of dogs {Active}
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or