Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 07:23 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,423,914 times

Advertisements

JasonandJulie SO TRUE few of the very reasons I fell in love with the breed. Both my dogs are from "stockier" lines Europe. I've had three danes in my life and will have more without a doubt even in my old age. There are so many misconceptions about the breed, but you just have to own one to know.

Although my 8 month old is fast at learning, we still working on the potty training * head desk*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 08:05 PM

482 posts, read 874,819 times
My 14 week old is potty trained! What are you doing over there?!?!? LOL!!

Danes are the world's best breed, but I am a little biased! The misconceptions I hear are that they are too big and die early. My lines should live until about 11 1/2, according to mentor. My dogs are almost all Euro, with a little American thrown in, but not more than 20%, some of my dogs are more. A lot of breeders like to keep the American in to get a little more height and less slobber shoestrings! As for me, I don't care!! I love the Euro head. Also getting that American in there helps keep some of the line breeding down because you know the dogs all go back to the same places if they are really the best lines. As soon as my female goes into heat next time, we are going to breed her. First we will use my breeder/mentor's stud but then since we will wait a couple more years to breed her again we are hoping my puppy will be suitable. My big guy is neutered. We had no idea what we were getting into when we got him! We are so lucky to have some really amazing lines in our dogs, so we are really blessed. I would love to see pics of your dogs!

Old 11-29-2012, 08:18 PM

I don't know LOL!!! He goes on command but he's only held it through the night just a handful of times since I brought him home at 8 weeks. Although in his defense he is a little thick-headed and STUBBORN!!!! LOL Even my oldest dane now as a pup was never this hard headed or testy. He's going to be handful that's for sure.

My first was American rescue and my current two are Euro full with lots of shoe strings to fling around However they are not not too overdone like some of dogs you see. I'd like my dogs to be able to move. I like the Euro heads too lol.

Once my boy finishes maturing I plan to compete and obtain a BH and Sch1 or PSA1. I'd like to see more danes in working sports as it is a working breed!!! Even thinking about some weight pull after he's done maturing.

Yeah, I get the same negative misconceptions....It does get annoying though. I'm not sure of the average lifespan in either of my boy's pedigree. I try not to worry about it they will let me know when its time.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:00 PM

One year spent with a Dane is better than 10 years with some dogs I know.

Awesome for you on the competing! I can't wait to hear about it all.

My pup was holding his pee through the night from about 8 weeks. I say through the night from about 10pm-6am. He slept in bed with me then, on a towel, I held him the whole night for the first 3 weeks. As soon as I would set him down it was like a racehorse. Now at night he sleeps in a toddler bed in my room and I always worry when I hear him get up and turn around, thinking one night I'm gonna hear him pee!

Something I do, though, is keep their water outside. It might not be an option for you, but it does make the water restricted in the evening. They have a giant horse water trough outside that they romp in. My climate is never that cold. So they go in and out off and on all day and play and drink but it keeps the water off the floor because my kids tend to slip on it. Then, they take a couple drinks when they go out for the last time at night but that's it. Are you witholding water? Where is he peeing? Is he crated?

Old 11-30-2012, 04:35 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
For the Dane lovershttp://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/531075_10151165828005922_869206767_n.jpg

Old 11-30-2012, 06:12 AM

JasonandJulie, I agree, despite the short time with us the time spent is invaluable.

Lucky you! LOL! When did get this pup he had a LONG airplane trip to the US I think he was 9 or 10 weeks when he came home. Not to mention he was the first puppy puppy I had in a while as well. I got my other boy at 8 months pretty much potty trained already. I tried everything I could think of with the water bottle, ticking clock, etc, but the think the time zones were just too in his system. I"m not too worried as I hear it is common for them not to "get it" until 10 months or so.

I rent and I have no fence so yea I can't do it, lol. However his water is restricted to pretty much at meal times before and after I come home from work. With more access on the weekends.

When I first brought him home he was going BOTH one and two in the crate. So just about everyday I was cleaning him, the crate, and myself, lol. Then after about a month or so he stopped going #2 in the crate, but he would still pee. And still continues to, to this day. So last month I brought some horse shavings and placed it in his crate. Its not really supposed to help with the problem its something I can use without him being covered in pee everyday.

No Kudzu, I LOVE the harls although I'm biased towards blues, lol. Want a harl someday but they are pretty pricy!

Old 11-30-2012, 06:38 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
I was never so in love with Great Danes until I caught wind of this:

Service Dog Project - Great Danes - Dog Bless You - explore

I spend way too much of my time watching these pups play and grow. They are so freakin' cute!

Old 11-30-2012, 07:30 AM

Wild,

Our female is a Harl and we are getting a new puppy that is full sister to my big male. She should be born in the next 7-10 days. My big male is black with white toes and a little on his chest. My puppy male is a nicely marked mantle. Anyways, we will have nicely bred Harls in the spring and then again in a couple of years, if you're ready then.

As far as pt, our situation is different. I stay home with our kids so we can take him out often and we watch him like a hawk just like you watch a toddler that is pt. I see now why it is taking longer, you have less time to work with. What color is he? I love puppies of all kinds but Danes especially. Do you use either the Halti or Gentle Leader? Mine are normally good about not pulling (haven't leash trained the puppy yet) but those things help when they see a squirrel or something along the way. I saw you feed raw, that is awesome. I heard it makes growth nice and steady.

I would love to put pics here but I am such a computer loser. Love to see yours, too.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:21 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
I thought it was a Great Dane. I asked because I remembered seeing a kitchen picture of a stockier big dog breed.

Boomer The Dog, 3 Ft. Tall & 7 Ft. Long « Pet Project

Old 11-30-2012, 09:27 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I was never so in love with Great Danes until I caught wind of this:

Service Dog Project - Great Danes - Dog Bless You - explore

I spend way too much of my time watching these pups play and grow. They are so freakin' cute!
Dawn I watched these puppies being born and hadn't seen them since. They are huge. i spent way too many hours on the labs and was afraid the same would happen with these babies. They are so cute. haven't handled a puppy or kitten in years and my maternal instincts sure do kick in when I watch these guys play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs