Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 07:22 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,719,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's just going to take time. Some dogs like to feel protected. My hound loves being under covers or under furniture. When we adopted him from a rescue group, he was submissive and slightly timid. I think we've had him for 7 years and he still sneaks upstairs if my voice becomes slightly more intense in a discussion, no yelling, just more intense and he sneaks off. It's hillarious to watch him do it.

Let him have his space under the loveseat, don't go over and talk to him or pet him while he's there. He needs a place that's all his own where he can feel safe. Have your boyfriend do the toy treat praise thing another time, but not while he's under the loveseat.

Another thing I've noticed is common about dogs is that they tend to attach themselves to the person who is less interested. I'm saying this because your dog is attached to you but was bought for your boyfriend. That's so common. It's almost like dogs are like people who who want someone playing hard to get. The less you're going at them with your hands and in their face, the more comfortable they are.
Actually, he SHOULD go over there, as I said not right next to it but go over there and just sit there, silently. Let the dog see that he is NOT threatening.

Under the couch or bed is NOT appropriate for the "dog's personal space". If the OP wants to get the dog personal space, (as should anyone regardless of the dog or personality), get a crate, put in blankets and make it his and only his. The other dog does not get to go in to it, it's this particular dog's space.

Hiding under the bed or couch, NOT their personal space. This is where the dog should be coaxed out of...by being absolutely silent and just waiting. Dogs can read us a lot better than we think they can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 10:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Actually, he SHOULD go over there, as I said not right next to it but go over there and just sit there, silently. Let the dog see that he is NOT threatening.

Under the couch or bed is NOT appropriate for the "dog's personal space". If the OP wants to get the dog personal space, (as should anyone regardless of the dog or personality), get a crate, put in blankets and make it his and only his. The other dog does not get to go in to it, it's this particular dog's space.

Hiding under the bed or couch, NOT their personal space. This is where the dog should be coaxed out of...by being absolutely silent and just waiting. Dogs can read us a lot better than we think they can.
Try telling my well adjusted hound that under the furniture isn't an appropriate place for him! LMAO!

The dog already picked his place, it's under the loveseat. There's no need to be all controlling and try to dictate where the dog feels safe.

The OP's boyfriend should leave the dog alone when the dog is in his safe place. The dog should not be coaxed out of there.

There are more appropriate times to connect with this dog to gain its trust. Invading its safe space isn't one of those times.

I provided logical reasons instead of simply saying "It should be this way."

The OP can weigh our suggestions and make her own decision.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:13 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,346,941 times
Have your boyfriend play "hard to get" with this dog. Stinky treats help too, given without a word, without quick movements, and even without eye contact.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:53 AM

621 posts, read 1,421,357 times
I would put this pup on a leash and not allow it to hide under anything at all. That hiding is going to get someone bit one day.
Allow the dog to drag his lead while in the house, and don't let him get under the couch, bed, hide in a closet. He has to learn that it's safe out in the open, and the only way he will learn that is to be out in the open. When he heads for that safe spot, grab the leash and gently lead him to a dog bed, or next to the couch, anywhere else but not under something.

Agree with others who say not to force him to pay attention to anyone, he needs to be ignored and not pushed. But he can't hide either. No attention, sweet talking, treats at all unless and until he come looking for it and is calm about it. Don't shelter him.... he can grow out of this, but it going to take time and effort.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:18 AM

Read this: Why Do Dogs Hide Under the Bed?

If the OP feels this needs addressed, positive reinforcement is the only appropriate way to do it.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:46 AM

30,246 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Try telling my well adjusted hound that under the furniture isn't an appropriate place for him! LMAO!

The dog already picked his place, it's under the loveseat. There's no need to be all controlling and try to dictate where the dog feels safe.

The OP's boyfriend should leave the dog alone when the dog is in his safe place. The dog should not be coaxed out of there.

There are more appropriate times to connect with this dog to gain its trust. Invading its safe space isn't one of those times.

I provided logical reasons instead of simply saying "It should be this way."

The OP can weigh our suggestions and make her own decision.
Again, "under the couch" is not the appropriate place as "their own space". Again, if they want to set up the dog's own space, "under the couch" is not where you set that up. Sorry you don't understand.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:13 AM

1,696 posts, read 4,346,941 times
The time that it is unacceptable to allow a dog to hide under furniture is if they use that zone as an escape when they are being naughty! For example, if pup steals your dirty undies from the hamper or a used tissue from the garbage and then races under the furniture where he knows you can't follow THAT'S a problem. And the solution for that type of hiding is to BLOCK access or MOVE the furniture, NEVER drag them out by a leash or other means.

Now if a dog is FEARFUL, he WILL find a DEN-LIKE environment if that's what makes him feel safe. And really, there's nothing inherently wrong or naughty about that at all! So you'd never want to punish a dog or cause even more fear by forcibly taking away that den! What you'd do is play hard to get, let THE DOG make the decision to come to you, make being around you relaxing and rewarding, and never act desperate for your dog to like you. Think of the principle of advance and retreat. When you aggressively pursue the guy / gal you have a crush on, they are often turned off / scared away. When you play hard to get & let them pursue you, they become intrigued and can't get enough of you! (Not saying that is the case in all human relationships, just using an example to illustrate how to relate to shy dogs).

Your boyfriend might have that air of desperation dogs can always sniff out. He's got to let go of his need for this dog to bond. You'll then start seeing the dog come to sniff him. Just let the dog do this without getting all excited about it. From there you'd start with casual under the chin petting, without eye contact. Act distracted. No quick movements. Walk away from the dog instead of always approaching. Act like the kid who is too cool for school. Shy dogs can't resist that kind of attitude

Any time your dog CHOOSES to approach your boyfriend, he should give the dog a stinky treat. I'm talking about rotisserie chicken level of deliciousness, not a dry biscuit. The treat is given without a word, without petting, etc. Eventually your dog will assess the situation "Hmmm.. every time I hide under the furniture I just kind of sit there, bored, with no treats.. and every time I go say hi to dad I get a delicious piece of chicken and he makes me feel comfortable..." The right choice will become clear in time. And after a while the HABIT of hiding under furniture will be broken, treats no longer required, trust established with boyfriend. And everyone lives happily ever after.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Again, "under the couch" is not the appropriate place as "their own space". Again, if they want to set up the dog's own space, "under the couch" is not where you set that up. Sorry you don't understand.
Funny! Who made you in charge of appropriate spaces? My dog would be miserable at your house. Since he likes to be under things, I smartly put a dog bed under my bedroom nightstand, a family room end table, and my desk. (I put them there after years of him being there already. LOL) He loves those places. But he still likes to go under my high four poster bed at certain times a day too. I'm sure not going to dictate where he likes his space and private time.

He loves to burrow under covers in bed or anywhere. We keep throws on the sofa just for him to burrow under. He's also cat-like and likes to be on top of the back of the sofa. He was in heaven when one of the throws ended up on the back of the sofa because he managed to have the best of both worlds by being on the top of the back of the sofa but burrowed under at the same time.

My dog is a hound. Hounds burrow and like to be under things. It's their nature. One private space isn't good enough for him. He likes having multiple options. If I didn't want a dog that liked being under furniture, I wouldn't have rescued a hound. And, quite frankly, I didn't know this about hounds until after I rescued him, but I'm very adapable when it comes to different dog personalities.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:37 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Crate or Cage would only remind him of the Pound! You all heard of Man Caves LOL Well Behind the Couch is Dog Cave hehehehe I would leave him alone. Let him come to you or the Boyfriend in his own time. What breed/s is the dog? Some Breeds are Naturally Shy....shelties for 1.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:50 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,422,975 times
Quote:
It's just going to take time. Some dogs like to feel protected. My hound loves being under covers or under furniture. When we adopted him from a rescue group, he was submissive and slightly timid. I think we've had him for 7 years and he still sneaks upstairs if my voice becomes slightly more intense in a discussion, no yelling, just more intense and he sneaks off. It's hillarious to watch him do it.

Let him have his space under the loveseat, don't go over and talk to him or pet him while he's there. He needs a place that's all his own where he can feel safe. Have your boyfriend do the toy treat praise thing another time, but not while he's under the loveseat.

Another thing I've noticed is common about dogs is that they tend to attach themselves to the person who is less interested. I'm saying this because your dog is attached to you but was bought for your boyfriend. That's so common. It's almost like dogs are like people who who want someone playing hard to get. The less you're going at them with your hands and in their face, the more comfortable they are.
Hopes exactly my thoughts, everything is still "new." My friend just adopted a boxer who is just started to "come out her shell" some dogs adjust faster than others. I would let the dog do its own thing while having the boyfriend taking care of "basic needs" food, walks, etc. Sooner or later the dog will come around I would not force the issue. Congrats

PS about the crate that's up to you or you can try a small room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs