Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 06:24 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times

Advertisements

He's an 8 year old Great Dane and has the following symptoms. I haven't taken him to the vet because he seemed to be getting a little better until today.

1. Swollen upper lip that he licks a lot.

2. Lethargic. Doesn't have the energy to even jump into bed.

3. Today, he refused breakfast, which is unusual.

4. He drinks a LOT of water.

There is no obvious fever, bite marks, injuries or dental problems.

Got any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 06:51 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
insect sting or spider bite? I wouldn't hold off much more on the vet. Even if vet can't pin point it some meds might be able to treat symptoms.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:25 AM

123 posts, read 245,965 times
Check his ears to see if he has an infection. Sometimes dogs drink when they are in pain.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:30 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
The swollen lip could be an allergy and benedryl would be appropriate.

But the other symptoms are very concerning.

Dog Illness Warning Signs: Dog Care: Animal Planet

Time for the vet.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:02 AM

Yes, I agree that it's time for the vet, maybe even past time, but it's Saturday and he'll either make it to Monday at this point, or he won't. I don't have any idea what to give him to ameliorate the symptoms.

Right now, he's staying close to me and lying the floor. His breathing is regular, but shallow.

I'm thinking poison as the cause right now, but I don't have any idea what kind or where he might have gotten it. He is not allowed to run free and there's nothing on my place which could produce such symptoms that I know of.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:17 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
He's an 8 year old Great Dane and has the following symptoms. I haven't taken him to the vet because he seemed to be getting a little better until today.

1. Swollen upper lip that he licks a lot.

2. Lethargic. Doesn't have the energy to even jump into bed.

3. Today, he refused breakfast, which is unusual.

4. He drinks a LOT of water.

There is no obvious fever, bite marks, injuries or dental problems.

Got any ideas?
No ideas as I'm not a vet. But at his age he should be taken to the vet for a complete senior exam including bloodwork.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:27 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Where do you live in Texas? Surely there are veterinarian services available on Saturdays somewhere SOMEWHERE.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Where do you live in Texas? Surely there are veterinarian services available on Saturdays somewhere SOMEWHERE.
Nope, not around here that I know of...unless I want to haul him to Dallas, which is 75 miles away.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:36 AM

48,129 posts, read 22,002,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skelaki View Post
No ideas as I'm not a vet. But at his age he should be taken to the vet for a complete senior exam including bloodwork.
I know its a good idea...but...I had a lovely dog.....spaniel mix.....a real beauty and sweet sweet sweet. Hannah was her name. The vet recommended a complete senior exam.....when she got to that age. They got the results and assured me that everything was A-OK. A week later she woke up and seemed lethargic....didnt want to eat or drink....not breathing as normal.....I called the vet and described the symptoms and rapid onset there of....which seemed to advance second by second....rigidity of extremities. The vet agreed that it sounded serious and said bring her in and we can do an exploratory. I said....this girl is dying right in front of me......I am not going to pack her into the car and drive over there for you to do an exploratory. Hannah passed in my arms within the next 15 mins. I loved her so much I still tear up thinking about it.

The vet couldnt explain it other than to suggest kidney failure......and said they could do an autopsy. I didnt choose that option. It wouldnt bring her back. The vet continued to say all the tests showed a healthy normal dog.

When I hear complete senior exam.....I re-live that horror. The only thing I am glad of is that I didnt drive her to the vet .... she would have died in transit...and I wouldnt have been able to continue driving....it would have been dangerous. I got to hold her and love her and then release her, to go on ahead. (When we went on hikes she always loved to "go ahead" and then come back to find me and then go on ahead again.....she must have hiked 10 times the distance I did every time....by "going on ahead". When I get to that last twist and turn in the road.....I know Hannah will be there waiting for me....."what took you so long Daddy?"

Old 12-01-2012, 08:45 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
VET

lethargy, refusing to eat and drinking alot generally suggests kidneys or liver ith underlying infection (drinking alot typically kidney or liver or diabetes) and ANY time a dog whos normally got a healthy apotitie goes off food its time to be checked.
add to that his age and breed...dont take a chance.
the swolen lip could have nothing to do wiht any of the other symptoms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs