U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 03:47 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,022,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Westies are a nice size. But like to bark. Be prepared to do bark training. And cause they are white, they can get fleas and can be allergic to flea meds.
i think he/she means that because they are white you will see the fleas easier (which is good so you can take care of em).
unless white dogs are more prone to fleas and i dont know about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 04:47 PM

2,658 posts, read 10,457,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
the Bichon Frise is a great dog, also the australian terrier. if you use frontline you
should be o k flea wise.
I second the bichon for a great dog. Grooming costs are high $45 /month.

Westies are terriers who require training, they like to dig and bark. I wanted one because they are gorgeous. Westies get flea allergies. If you want a good temperament, you need to look to a respectable breeder. That is how I would have gone.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:36 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,225,281 times
We had a Westie and a Cairn Terrier growing up. The best little dogs IMHO.
They were not barkers, and did not dig as someone else mentioned, at least our two did not.
I don't recall the Westie having a flea problem either? I guess we were lucky.
They were very easy to train and great around kids....they have awesome dispositions.
We did get them from a reputable breeder at a dog show.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:32 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,717,157 times
Thanks! Right now our dog search is on hold...but I thank you for your reply.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:26 PM

1 posts, read 9,664 times
Cool Very Good!

They are MANY pros and cons to ALL dogs. I have a Westie of my own! She is VERY lovable and sweet towards ALL dogs and people, shes even good with cats.

PROS:
very nice towards other pets/people/kids
easy to train
lovable
loves to please
has hair not fur and does not shed much at all
cute

CONS:
barks a lot(but in way of protecting)
sometimes runs off, but will come back because she misses you

My Westie was VERY easy to crate train. She loves her crate, so I sugest you crate train her/him if you get a Westie. Westies are known for dry skin, my Westie DID have dry skin and all we had to do is go to her vet and he gave us some shampoo specially made for dry skin. It worked great, and it went away. My Westie does NOT have fleas, and never has, so Westies DONT get fleas. I have found a few ticks on her before, but just in the Summer, and not very many at ALL, so I wont worry about ticks and/or fleas.
They are GREAT dogs!!!

Last edited by Kelly0318; 01-29-2008 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: Wanted to add something else.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:34 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,873,983 times
Sounds as if, like me, you have some more thinking to do. However, I did have a Westie, loved him and he was a darlin.'

And I got him by chance. Some ruffins let loose a whole herd of pedigree dogs in the middle of NYC, and a friend rang my bell when she discovered all these dogs running around--in strange colours--in the park. I got dressed, and rescued one painted with enamel blue paint. It took forever to get that paint off, but each time I worked some more off was an opportunity for us to bond, and bond we did. I called him Blue.

No crate; no training: just a perfect little man until he got too big for his britches and had a run-in at the same park with a Dobbie. It did break my heart and I haven't had a dog since.

And, yes, a family dog. Somewhere I have a photo of Blue with my youngest on a bench. I probably hid it, but it might surface as I continue to un-pack.

Good luck with whatever decision you take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Thanks! Right now our dog search is on hold...but I thank you for your reply.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:11 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,090,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
We're kicking around the idea of getting a dog. It's just the three of us (me, husband and son age 9). My son is well behaved, but a bit scared of dogs, so we think now we are 'allowed' to have one we may get a small dog.

I want a rescue dog and saw a Westie mix might be available. What sort of dog are they? I think Westies are so adorable but I want something that is not going to nip my son. (or us!).

We're pretty active people (go to parks every weekend). I walk every day and would be able to bring it to the local park (or my husband would). What do you guys think of this breed?

If not, what's a good small dog for a family? (we're only allowed a smallish dog due to our lease).
If you are going to get a dog find a good rescue and they will help you get the right dog for your family. Take the time to learn about owning a dog, proper food, shots, heart worm meds and flea and tick control. A good web site is PetEducation.com - Drs. Foster & Smith's Source for Expert Pet Information

Carrie

Old 01-29-2008, 06:42 PM

16,487 posts, read 21,012,959 times
We have a female Westie we got as a pup. She is one of the best dogs we have ever had. She is wonderful with our 4 children, smart, and well behaved. We have given her a skin/coat supplement (an oil you just add to their food) since we got her and have never had any skin problems at all. We live in a place with heavy winters so only have to use flea stuff in the Spring through Fall and no flea problems. She does bark if she hears any noises but is good about being quiet if we tell her to for the most part. I highly recommend the breed in general. Remember though that an older dog from the pound could easily arrive to you with some issues it has already formed.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:30 PM

395 posts, read 1,248,793 times
I think that they are excellent family pets! But not from personal experience.My fiance had one growing up.He was about the same age as your child.His dog was fun for him..He was very playful..they can be rough but nothing bad.They are also very sweet and very protective.I wish he could tell you all about it.Anyway I knew the dog and he was very sweet...and you could tell..even in his(the dog's) old age he loved everyone..and when he thought they may have been in danger he seemed very protective in a sweet way
Anyways I would recomend.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:41 AM

2 posts, read 12,102 times
Default Westie

Hi!
I have a beautiful westie girl aged 15 months!!
I don't know about your son, you said he is 9 years old and I'm not very sure about you getting a westie!
Westies aren't good with kids, to be honest, many westies don't even like kids. My girl almost hates children, she can be good only to kids from 6-7 years and up. When a mommy with a little child walks on the street she can pet my girl cause she is really amazing with "big people", but when her baby gets confident and approaches my dog, my girl gets upset and starts barking like a mad wolf and tries to chase off the baby by running all over our garden until the baby's usually start crying!
A westie is a very good dog though, don't hate them cause they don't like children. Most of the time, they are very loyal, friendly and good with other dogs, mine is the family cutie, everybody just has to love her, she is cute, LOVES to cuddle and finally, a miracle - NO WESTIE EXCEPT MINE ACTUALLY LIKES BEING PICKED UP!!!
It's all how you treat the dog, she was always raised up when a puppy, I believe we pick her up and cuddle in our hands surely 20-30 times per day!
They don't shed very much or stink, but you need to bath them once in a month or two and 2-3 times per year take her to a pet saloon for trimming.
Still, westies love playing and they are NOT cuddly in games!
They often bite while playing, not because of aggressive behavior, its totally by accident.
They aren't very gentle and thats another reason you shouln't keep them alone with kids, especially little.
Here's a few good and bad things I would love to tell you:
GOOD: westies trust their owners very very much and I can even pet my girl's jaws while she's EATING!!! Westies are also very loyal and great pets and if something goes wrong, they will never leave you alone and run away. I just love about westies that you can leave him alone up to 5 HOURS at home without ANYONE to pet or release it out to pee or poop.
BAD: There is just a little things I don't like about them, its only that they like cuddling, but not too much time. And the last thing, they have lots of energy and are NOT good for old people and kids, but excellent for active families and responsible parents and owners.
Finally, I say GO FOR IT AND GET A WESTIE, you won't be sorry!
But find some researches on the web and think about other breeds!
I am suggesting... a miniature or toy poodle, miniature schnauzer and the pug, they are awesome pets for children too, especially the schnauzer!
THATS IT!!
Have a nice day, I hope I helped!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or