U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 02:56 PM

13,320 posts, read 20,099,886 times

Advertisements

I am so glad she found you. Thank you for taking care of her. How frightened she must be. To loose her pups and probably have been dropped off all in the same day ( most likely)........May she find happiness in your home or some other kind families.......
We need kind people to help, these earthly blessings.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 04:41 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,160,564 times
Default Awww!

You're all so sweet, but really, I don't feel as though I've done all that much for her yet. This is just one step in the journey for the Little Pit (no name yet ).

It's funny, driving through town earlier today, my mind slowed down a bit and it all kind of hit me. I was in panic mode for this dog before, but now I was in feeling mode and I felt so, so bad for her, it really got to me.

Dogs are resilient though, and this one will end up with a good home even if it's not with me .

So tomorrow she meets my two monsters ! I was really observing my two today and they seem so sweet.....let's hope they're in a sweet mood tomorrow! (a thousand fingers cross !)

Y'know, they are both throwaway pups themselves. We adopted my male from our local Animal Control, he was the last one in his litter left there. My female never even made it that far - she was abandoned at a warehouse when she was barely 6 weeks old herself (she was a mangy, wormy, infected mess at her little 6 weeks ). My husband's old company was in a part of town where that was common....people just dropped dogs on the loading docks thinking someone would take them home (and we did ). So maybe there's no coincedence at play? We'll have to see .

So again, thanks for the very kind words.....I'm sending them all Little Pit's way !

Old 10-16-2007, 05:22 PM

288 posts, read 1,500,740 times
Good for you guys for taking her in! Hope she gets along okay with you other dogs and lives a long and happy life with your family.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:30 PM

329 posts, read 1,331,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Thank you so much to everyone who was able to respond last night, it really helped me to think things through . I've never before dealt with a pregnant/lactating female dog, so this was all brand new to me.

Here's the update after this morning's vet visit:

It appears she is roughly 2 years old (older than I thought), no puppies inside (thank you! ), her pups - wherever they might be - are possibly as old as 6 weeks, but she was with them just recently (last 24 hours?) because she is full of milk.

My vet feels this dog was a breeder . We checked for worms and there were none of any kind (no heartworms, no belly worms). This would be unusual in a feral dog unless she was very lucky. It appears this dog was well taken care of nutritionally and medically (she's probably been getting heartworm prevention and was probably wormed for belly worms too). The scarring/bite wounds could be from being caged up with other dogs (she does not seem at all familiar with the concept of being indoors...probably caged).

Timing as it is, and the fact that she was free to travel back to her pups yesterday if they were in the vicinity (instead of running up and down my street), my vet said it's likely someone bred her, let her barely wean her pups, and then dumped her yesterday .

He said that even though 6 weeks is really too young, people who do this want the money and they usually sell the pups young. This dog looks "pit enough" to be used as a breeder, though she is very small and looking at her, you wouldn't normally think "I should breed this dog". Her pups would come out looking pit enough to sell .

THE GOOD NEWS........health-wise, she's looking quite good. She'll be spayed soon enough and he gave her a shot to dry up her milk, we'll have to watch for Mastitis. Temperment-wise, she is great, he said she would have no problem being adopted out.

FOR NOW........she is in the care of my vet for today. Tomorrow morning, we'll take my female dog to meet her there and see how they do together. My vet said since this dog is much smaller than mine, if she'll take a submissive role with my female, it might work out, but if not, we should be able to get her adopted through a rescue group - she's that sweet of a dog .

If she passes muster with my female, then she'll meet my male dog and then we'll see how she does with cats & birds........baby steps !
You and your husband are wonderful human beings to have cared so much. Thats poor thing couldn't have been dumped near better people. God Bless you both>

Old 10-16-2007, 09:24 PM

7 posts, read 30,297 times
Default Re The Lady Pit

Thank goodness! I hope she gets a good home!

PS
I was lucky today I found a white shepherd husky mix and he hopped right in my car I took him to our local animal control and his mommy showed up to get him in a couple hours VERY RARE

Old 10-16-2007, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex64060 View Post
Thank goodness! I hope she gets a good home!

PS
I was lucky today I found a white shepherd husky mix and he hopped right in my car I took him to our local animal control and his mommy showed up to get him in a couple hours VERY RARE
The planets must be aligning.........! Is it lucky dog month?

Old 10-16-2007, 09:45 PM

1,378 posts, read 5,605,248 times
What a wonderful thing you and your husband did! Thank you for being so kind and humane!

Old 10-16-2007, 10:22 PM

355 posts, read 910,310 times
It does my heart good to know there are people like you in the world.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:32 AM

3,402 posts, read 12,209,970 times
Update update! does the lil'pit get along with your 2 monsters?

Old 10-17-2007, 06:32 PM

Thumbs up *UPDATE* Things went better than expected actually!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlekitten View Post
Update update! does the lil'pit get along with your 2 monsters?
Sorry to take so long with an update, but it's been a busy, busy day .

I'm happy to say things went quite well !

Early this morning, we brought both dogs to the vet's and first did a "between the fence" greeting......good, no growling, just some licks exchanged and all tails wagging.

Next, we tried each of my dogs one at a time with Little Pit - everyone leashed of course - and just did big walks around the fenced field. All dogs seemed more interested in all the cool smells and the staff wandering around than anything else . So we considered this a success - no aggression from anyone at all. A little more between the fence close-ups, and then we ended the first visit on a good note and brought our dogs home for a few hours.

Later in the afternoon, we did visit #2. Much of the same, plus some close up on leash, one at a time. Things were getting a little more excitable now, but still good. My husband, ever the Aries , wanted to try off-leash. First we let my male run with Little Pit in the big field area. His concern was more with marking territory (peeing) than anything else, with some interaction -very mellow - with Little Pit here and there as she followed him around.......very good.

For my female, I did not want a large expanse where things could get unwieldly, so we chose the smaller fenced area (living room size) for their unleashed one-on-one. There was no out and out aggression, but there was some major domination (cornering, humping, etc.). Little Pit took it like a champ......she has no problems being dominated by another dog - lucky for her - any challenging she might have decided to do probably would have ended her chances with us, sadly. This is what we were hoping to see - total submission to the Alpha female .

Then - still in 2nd visit - we tried all three dogs together and it went well. No matter what my 2 did (my male barked in her face, loudly - he's all lungs ), she acted submissively - crawling flat on the ground, showing her belly, etc. They all got so tired with the play, everybody even laid down in the grass to rest at points.

Again, we ended on a good note and brought our 2 home to rest. My husband.....did I mention he's an Aries? ......wanted to take it to the next level (no time like the present, right?!). So, we went and picked up a few supplies and then later on brought Little Pit home .

Now things escalated a little, but not in a really bad way. The dominating and submitting thing continues, but my female is bringing it up a notch. No real aggression per se, but she did give a small growl (just once). I've been keeping the living room play sessions to no more than 10 minutes or so then we take Little Pit to "her room" (spare bedroom we've cleared out).

Right now as I type, everyone is relaxed......the cat is napping on my lap, my female was just stretched out on the sofa - belly up, as usual, my male is off in another room sleeping, so it's kind of a "normal" night. Little Pit is in her room and my husband is in there with her keeping her quiet and relaxed.

This does not of course mean that it will all work out. Little Pit has no concept of in-house living and is launching off my furniture in the weirdest way I've ever seen a dog do, she's got a lot to learn about house-living . She's shown some interest in the cat and birds, but is so distracted by the dogs that I don't know how much of a problem she'd pose for the others yet. So far, no messes in the house, but she did mess in the vet's kennel last night (just pee). Oh, and she's never seen a tv before !

Tomorrow, my husband goes back to work and I'm on my own which is going to be hard, so I don't know how much together time these dogs will get tomorrow.

Anyway, sorry for the long-windedness, but I did not know what details I could leave out, so I just let it roll .

I need to take care of a few things right now, but I'll be back online later to read any feedback anyone might have.....I'm still on the fence as to whether this could work long-term .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or