Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 09:53 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmsdove View Post
I might try some of the Animal Rescues in your area to see if they could take the dog in if you are not able to keep the dog so it doesn't end up roaming the streets again. Where do you live?
As PitBullMommie said, yes, we are in Jacksonville, Florida. I had contacted a local rescue that specializes in Pit Bull rescue, but never heard back from them, and I emailed them twice (no tel #) .

2 other posters on here came forward with contacts or offers to help find rescue if needed which I really appreciated and if I need to go that route I will definitely be using their suggestions/asking for their help.

If I can not keep her, I will be sure she is properly placed. This is a sweet dog and there's no reason she can't be in a home - mine or someone else's.

For now, I am somewhere between foster and adoption. We still have to work out relationships with my cat and my parrots. As long as she can be peaceful with everyone and no one's life is in danger, she can stay with us as her forever home .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 10:31 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,170,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
As PitBullMommie said, yes, we are in Jacksonville, Florida. I had contacted a local rescue that specializes in Pit Bull rescue, but never heard back from them, and I emailed them twice (no tel #) .

2 other posters on here came forward with contacts or offers to help find rescue if needed which I really appreciated and if I need to go that route I will definitely be using their suggestions/asking for their help.

If I can not keep her, I will be sure she is properly placed. This is a sweet dog and there's no reason she can't be in a home - mine or someone else's.

For now, I am somewhere between foster and adoption. We still have to work out relationships with my cat and my parrots. As long as she can be peaceful with everyone and no one's life is in danger, she can stay with us as her forever home .
I didn't read through all of the posts, but I could have swore I read a post saying that you were keeping her?! lol! Well, either way, she's so lucky that you found her, and either way I'm sure she will end up in a wonderful home! I actually know of two people that are looking for a dog. One is my brother, he is just as much of an animal lover as I am and he knows a lot about "pit bulls" and being a dog owner. He is definitely going to give, whatever dog he ends up getting, a wonderful, forever home! And the other person Well, people, husband and wife) we know that is looking for a dog is a good friend that use to live right next to us. They moved to the other side of town, but that's still very close! lol! Anyway, they are wonderful people and they would give a dog a wonderful, forever home as well! These are both people that we were thinking about giving Jayda to when we first took her in, but we just couldn't give her up! lol! As you know, we live somewhere between 45 and 60 or so minutes from where you are, depending on where in Jax you live, so if you need or want help finding her a home just let me know! We would LOVE to help, and we could even help to get her down here or whatever we need to do! Well, we could even see if anyone in Jax or OP is looking for a dog, pretty much everyone we know is up there! Anyway, just let me know if you want some help! Good luck!

Old 10-23-2007, 11:24 PM

Thanks PitBullMommie !

Be careful what you wish for, we get offered animals often, so I'm always trying to hook animals and people together when I can (and somehow, some of them wiggle their way in......like this little one we've been talking about ).

Yes, I am trying to see if she will fit in here, it's a day by day thing since we're so early in the process, that's why I say I'm between foster and adoption. If for some reason she could not stay (if she were too prey driven around my cat or birds, for example), then I would continue to foster her until I could place her. But right now, so far so good....it is tiring though, it's like having a new puppy in the house .

Old 10-24-2007, 06:32 AM

1,930 posts, read 10,170,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Thanks PitBullMommie !

Be careful what you wish for, we get offered animals often, so I'm always trying to hook animals and people together when I can (and somehow, some of them wiggle their way in......like this little one we've been talking about ).

Yes, I am trying to see if she will fit in here, it's a day by day thing since we're so early in the process, that's why I say I'm between foster and adoption. If for some reason she could not stay (if she were too prey driven around my cat or birds, for example), then I would continue to foster her until I could place her. But right now, so far so good....it is tiring though, it's like having a new puppy in the house .
Yeah, "pit bulls" are tiring dogs! lol! Sometimes I feel like I have three 2 year olds that have never ending energy! But it's worth every single second! They are very active dogs, but then again, they are terriers, so what can you do? But they aren't too bad. Like right now they are asleep on the sofa and they should be for the next little while. They kind of have a schedule. My husband and I will get up and drink our coffee, then when he leaves for work I take the pups for their morning walks. Then I will watch some of the Today Show and spend some time on the computer while the dogs sleep for a while. After the Today Show is over they are normally starting to get up and then they will play for what seems like forever! lol! But then they calm back down again.

I'm sure once she gets settled into her new (or maybe temporary?) home she will start to change a bit. When we first took Jayda in everything kind of changed for a while. Brooklyn and Destiny were all excited because they had a new playmate and Jayda was excited, but kind of scared because she was in a new places around new people and animals. Once she got adjusted everything calmed down and went back to normal, the only thing was that we had a third dog! Even though APBTs are terriers and working dogs they are pretty laid back half of the time. I think just about anyone that owns a "pit bull" would tell you that their dog is a couch potato half of the time! As long as she gets regular daily exercise she should start to calm down a lot!

As far as her going after your other pets, your cats and birds, I can't really say what she would do? As you know, regardless of breed, every dog is unique, every dog has their own likes and dislikes. The only other pet we have right now is a Ball Python, Jax (Can you tell I miss my home city? We were going to name him Jax or Duval! lol! ). The pups don't seem to mind him at all. They will watch him when he's in his tank sometimes, but they have never tried to get him. When we take him out of his tank they will be interested in him for a few minutes and then they are over it. They also get along very well with cats! They have only ever been around a few different cats, but they have never really cared about them. Again though, every dog is different, so you never know? I hope everything works out though! Good luck!

Old 10-24-2007, 10:03 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,019,787 times
Welcome Dubh! You're beautiful! I hope you love your new forever home and your new family.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:16 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,660,003 times
Riveree, thank you for saving this dog's life, whichever way you decide to go. I know how hard it is to introduce new dogs and you have other species involved. You've done an incredible job.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:52 PM

265 posts, read 1,292,101 times
Thumbs up Ahh the Karma!!

Riveree, I just read all posts and am feeling so heartened by all...congrats on your new lovey-dovey I hope the harmony in your homestead continues...just wanted to share a few things. We are a three-dog household, with one being a full pit who'll be 3 in January, one being a Standard Poodle who is 9 (already!), and our newest addition, an almost 4-year old Aussie. Strange mix The pit is itty bitty, aside from being the runt, she was bred the way they intended them to be, short and stout. She's under 35 lbs. Of late we've noticed lots of "scars" on her rear, which literally just showed up in the past two weeks--we discovered that when she and our Aussie boy play (oh the running and chasing and tug on toys they do!!!), apparently he "herds" her with those little nips. Being an extremely sensitive skinned dog (go figure!), she looks as though she could have been used for fighting...well, maybe that's an exag, but who knows what folks would think.

I also want to tell you that the three get along really well, despite occasional misbehavior (they really are like kids); but there have been occasions when things have escalated and started to get out of hand--i.e., our little pit tends to bite hard when pissed off (skirmish around a ball once and her refusal to back down), and, God awful, a few times when our Aussie has had seizures (yes, we discovered this about him the first weekend we'd taken him in), she attacks...apparently some kind of primal thing, the vet tells us--yet they're best of friends when his phenobarb levels are good. Anyway, I just want to caution you that there may be incidents, and your little Pit will likely challenge your (BEAUTIFUL!!!) alpha girl, because that's what dogs do. I hope all continues to go well...you're certainly earning your share of great karma!!

Best wishes, PudelPie!

Old 10-31-2007, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghead View Post
Riveree, thank you for saving this dog's life, whichever way you decide to go. I know how hard it is to introduce new dogs and you have other species involved. You've done an incredible job.
Thanks Doghead! Overall, it's getting easier day by day, at least between the dogs.

We still have a way to go with the other animals, but we've made some small progress. I've been able to observe Dubh with some other small critters in the yard (lizards, toads - we have them in spades here ), and she's curious, likes to get close, but doesn't go in for the kill (unlike another female dog I know ).

So far so good.......but I'm tired! I'm losing lots of beauty sleep !

Old 10-31-2007, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PudelPie View Post
Riveree, I just read all posts and am feeling so heartened by all...congrats on your new lovey-dovey I hope the harmony in your homestead continues...just wanted to share a few things. We are a three-dog household, with one being a full pit who'll be 3 in January, one being a Standard Poodle who is 9 (already!), and our newest addition, an almost 4-year old Aussie. Strange mix The pit is itty bitty, aside from being the runt, she was bred the way they intended them to be, short and stout. She's under 35 lbs. Of late we've noticed lots of "scars" on her rear, which literally just showed up in the past two weeks--we discovered that when she and our Aussie boy play (oh the running and chasing and tug on toys they do!!!), apparently he "herds" her with those little nips. Being an extremely sensitive skinned dog (go figure!), she looks as though she could have been used for fighting...well, maybe that's an exag, but who knows what folks would think.

I also want to tell you that the three get along really well, despite occasional misbehavior (they really are like kids); but there have been occasions when things have escalated and started to get out of hand--i.e., our little pit tends to bite hard when pissed off (skirmish around a ball once and her refusal to back down), and, God awful, a few times when our Aussie has had seizures (yes, we discovered this about him the first weekend we'd taken him in), she attacks...apparently some kind of primal thing, the vet tells us--yet they're best of friends when his phenobarb levels are good. Anyway, I just want to caution you that there may be incidents, and your little Pit will likely challenge your (BEAUTIFUL!!!) alpha girl, because that's what dogs do. I hope all continues to go well...you're certainly earning your share of great karma!!

Best wishes, PudelPie!
Wow PudelPie - very similar set-up! And everyone is still alive, huh?

Yes, I can see how there can be incidents in the future. Dubh is actually fairly mellow and tires long before my 6 year old female. So Dubh has had to tell my other female to "back off" a few times already (no one's been hurt).

I had so little preparation for this too (maybe 5 minutes? ), I'm sure that didn't help, but things are geting clearer each day, and this forum is awesome for gaining clarity ! Thank you everyone who's taken part in the thread and those who went the extra mile and helped "off thread" (DM) too, it's really made a difference .

Old 11-01-2007, 03:41 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,556,030 times
Ok, I'm joining this thread. Any new news? since yesterday?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs