Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 04:05 AM

1,179 posts, read 8,709,534 times

Advertisements

So my hubby has been on youtube for IDK the past hour or something. He found this video. Don't know if anyone else has seen it. Kind of puts a whole end to that "Pit Bulls bites are more dangerous because they have the strongest jaws" myth. Of course this is only 1 dog of the 3 breeds. I'd like to see 25 of each breed tested to get a better idea. Also if you note on the Pit Bulls first bite the guy says he doesn't even have the whole thing. This is common in APBTs, they generally bite and hold like that and it is rare to get one that does a good full mouth bite.

YouTube - Bite force competition. Pitbull, Rottweiler, and Shepherd.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:41 AM

95 posts, read 304,493 times
Wow !! Thanks for sharing

Old 10-16-2007, 06:54 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,158,197 times
But the other issue with pitbulls is their stubbornness and unwillingness to let go once they have a grip on the victim's limb. Even pepper spray won't get them to release their bite if they don't want to. It's their temperament that is also a problem with those dogs.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:50 AM

768 posts, read 2,100,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
But the other issue with pitbulls is their stubbornness and unwillingness to let go once they have a grip on the victim's limb. Even pepper spray won't get them to release their bite if they don't want to. It's their temperament that is also a problem with those dogs.
Please don't brush a whole breed with such generalizations, just as you wouldn't brush a whole race with such generalizations. It's the same thing, whether you are talking about people or about dogs--prejudice.

"Those dogs" used to be considered the best family pets, if you look back to the early 1900s. They were considered loyal, loving, and excellent companions for children. A friend of mine has one who is the most loving companion for her little boy. That poor dog has taken more rough-and-tumble abuse (boys can be tough!) and still adores him. I too have one who is nothing but absolutely devoted to me and friendly to everyone she meets.

Any toy or stick that she has a grab on, all I have to do is give the command, "Leave it!" and she releases it. It does not matter how much she prizes the item, she accepts me as her Alpha and will release it. (Obedience class, week 2 or 3.) I guess you could call a stick a "victim"... I'm sure someone will, if they are intent on blasting a breed as a whole.

My girl is devotion in a canine body. Everyone who knows her loves her. She has harmed no one. Therefore, people who talk about "those dogs" with one broad generalization come across as uninformed people who are mindlessly repeating what they've read or heard. Get to know someone's pittie and learn what the reality is, instead of following a herd that is going the wrong way.

My h grew up with a lhasa apso. The dog slept with him until one night when he was awakened by it biting him and not letting go! He could not get the dog to let go of him! After that, of course, the dog no longer slept with him, nor did my h want anything to do with it. Should my h start a movement to try to have all of that breed killed? Of course not. Blame the deed, not the breed!

Old 10-16-2007, 09:56 AM
miu

I am not anti pitbull, but many people should not be allowed to own them. The same goes for several other breeds. Pitbulls are fine dogs if trained properly, but most dog owners are passive about their dog ownership or they own them for the wrong reasons. I have no pitbulls living in my neighborhood at present and most likely there won't ever be. If you are a responsible pitbull owner, then hooray for you, but like a handgun, there is no need to promote the breed nor encourage more people to own one. Pitbulls should not be billed as some universally perfect breed to own. They should be treated like a Belgian Malinous, where it is a working breed, they needs to be socialized properly when young, trained properly and exercised regularly. Some of us want a more friendly and relaxed dog like a lab or a small loving dog like a pug. There are so many different breeds of dogs, all with different temperament. As long as you have your pitbulls trained and well socialized, then enjoy their company in peace.

One of my boyfriend's friends has told me about a pitbull that is kept chained in someone's basement. It is mean and growls at everyone. His owner loves owning such an angry fighting machine. If I knew where this guy lived, I would report him to the authorities. But I don't.

I have a female friend who lives about one hour away from me. She has an older spayed Am Staff terrier. Two years ago, I spent one month in Florida with her while my friend was convalescing. I had to walk her dog for her as she was too weak to do so. I had to wrap the leash several times around my wrist and watch out for small dogs during our walks. If I saw a small dog in the distance, I would cross the street and be ready to brace myself in case the dog tried to lunge towards it. We had some close calls. The problem was that years earlier, some little dog attacked the AmStaff and bite her lip. Ever since, she has hated small dogs.

I worked a dog rescue and one woman with several labs lived next door to a family with pitbulls. They were very friendly dogs and they often played together. What this woman noticed was that when the dogs occasionally got agitated and heated, the pits took it to the angry level a lot faster than her labs. And once the pits got mad, it took more to get them to let go of that angry attitude and calm down. Whereas her labs were much quicker to distract and get happy again.

There was a weird newstory local to me. It was in the suburbs too. Guy took his pitbull to a friends house. The dog didn't like the ~12 year old girl living there, bit her arm and wouldn't let go of it. The police came and pepper sprayed the dog. Then shot it in the rump, then finally had to kill the dog. I think that this was in Hudson, MA last spring. I don't save these stories.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:07 AM
miu

BTW you shouldn't be mad at non-pitbull owners that are wary of pitbulls, instead you should be mad at the irresponsible pitbull owners giving the breed such a bad reputation. Trying to persuade us non-pitbull owners that they aren't all bad is a big waste of time imo. Just get your fellow pit owners to do the right thing and be good dog owners. The problem is that it's not just a few bad apples, but more a decent percentage of pitbull owners that don't know how to handle the breed properly.

Maybe in addition to registering them with the animal control departments, they should also be required to be trained with an good dog obedience school and a copy of that certificate be kept on file.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:04 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,906,808 times
Quote:
If you are a responsible pitbull owner, then hooray for you, but like a handgun, there is no need to promote the breed nor encourage more people to own one.
Like a handgun......oh boy.

Quote:
One of my boyfriend's friends has told me about a pitbull that is kept chained in someone's basement. It is mean and growls at everyone. His owner loves owning such an angry fighting machine. If I knew where this guy lived, I would report him to the authorities. But I don't.
Well obviously the BF's friend does. ...chained up in a basement...what a moron (just to clarify...moron=owner of the dog)....of course it's mean and it growls. ANY dog would be if it was mistreated like that...

Quote:
I have a female friend who lives about one hour away from me. She has an older spayed Am Staff terrier. Two years ago, I spent one month in Florida with her while my friend was convalescing. I had to walk her dog for her as she was too weak to do so. I had to wrap the leash several times around my wrist and watch out for small dogs during our walks. If I saw a small dog in the distance, I would cross the street and be ready to brace myself in case the dog tried to lunge towards it. We had some close calls. The problem was that years earlier, some little dog attacked the AmStaff and bite her lip. Ever since, she has hated small dogs.
Sounds to me like the dog has never been trained properly. Shame on the owner. APBT's heel fine on leads. Mine is a prime example. TYVM.

Last edited by citybythebay; 10-16-2007 at 12:14 PM..

Old 10-16-2007, 12:08 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,906,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyDayNow View Post
Please don't brush a whole breed with such generalizations, just as you wouldn't brush a whole race with such generalizations. It's the same thing, whether you are talking about people or about dogs--prejudice.

I totally agree and very well said.
People are too quick with the judgments.
Usually resulting from the over-hyped media rags.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:16 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,171,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
So my hubby has been on youtube for IDK the past hour or something. He found this video. Don't know if anyone else has seen it. Kind of puts a whole end to that "Pit Bulls bites are more dangerous because they have the strongest jaws" myth. Of course this is only 1 dog of the 3 breeds. I'd like to see 25 of each breed tested to get a better idea. Also if you note on the Pit Bulls first bite the guy says he doesn't even have the whole thing. This is common in APBTs, they generally bite and hold like that and it is rare to get one that does a good full mouth bite.

YouTube - Bite force competition. Pitbull, Rottweiler, and Shepherd.
No, I have never seen that, thanks for posting it. Those were pretty dogs, especially the pitty!

I have read this, I don't remember where though?.. "Pit Bulls" have a 1800 PSI Jaw Pressure: Wrong again. Dr. Brady Barr of National Geographic (Dangerous Encounters: Bite Force, 8pm est 8/18/2005) – Dr. Barr measured bite forces of many different creatures. Domestic dogs were included in the test. Here are the results of all of the animals tested: Humans: 120 pounds of bite pressure Domestic dogs: 320 LBS of pressure on avg. A German Shepard, American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT) and Rottweiler were tested using a bite sleeve equipped with a specialized computer instrument. The APBT had the least amount of pressure of the 3 dogs tested.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:48 PM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
Like a handgun......oh boy.
And how can you ignore their dangerous potential in the wrong hands? They are popular dogs for entering into dog fights for a good reason.
Quote:
Well obviously the BF's friend does. ...chained up in a basement...what a moron (just to clarify...moron=owner of the dog)....of course it's mean and it growls. ANY dog would be if it was mistreated like that...
And I already said that the dog is being mistreated, but it's the breed characteristics of having high muscle mass that caused this jerk to want a pitbull, and not a golden retriever chained in his basement. Actually, the lab I own was badly abused and he doesn't growl at anybody, instead he just wants to hide from the world.
Quote:
Sounds to me like the dog has never been trained properly. Shame on the owner. APBT's heel fine on leads. Mine is a prime example. TYVM.
Yes, you are right again. However, there are too many pet owners that are really lazy or cheap about not training their dogs. You are a great pitbull owner, but unfortunately, there are a lot of bad dog owners out there.

If you knew several people or families that were looking to get a dog, would you across the board only recommend a pitbull to them? I would hope not. Just like the other thread asking about if a beagle would make a good apartment dog, the answer was no, not to get a beagle because like to run around and bark. Or every time there has been a Disney Dalmatian movie, the parents run out to buy a dalmatian to keep their kids happy. Again problems as those dogs are high energy and not good around kids. Every dog breed is specialized and too many people pick a dog for their looks, less for what they were bred to do.

Some dog breeds are more forgiving in terms of if they are not trained properly, they still can be a passably good companion. However a pitbull is not one of them. Can you disagree with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs