Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2012, 10:00 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,728,822 times

Advertisements

My dog Rudy is 7 years old, and literally for all 7 years I've struggled to find the right food for him... he is SUPER picky, not to mention prone to skin allergies & stomach distress. I've tried everything from "crappy" brands like Beneful and Alpo, to the higher-end ones like Weruva and Blue Buffalo, but he'll either turn up his nose or get sick from most of them.

The other day I was at Petsmart (where I only occasionally shop), and the clerk recommended their brand called Simply Nourish. The stuff LOOKS really good, almost like human food, and she claims it's their equivalent to Blue Buffalo. I figured why not, and much to my surprise, he absolutely loves it! He gobbled down the first can, then immediately started to beg for more - so I gave him another 1/2 can. The stuff isn't really cheap @ $2/can, but since I supplement with treats and some kibble, I can swing 1-2 per day. Has anyone heard about this brand, either good or bad? It would make things a little more complicated, since I do most of my pet shopping at Pet Club or a local/independent shop... but for the sake of my boy, I'm willing to make 3 stops!

Here's a link to the brand: Simply Nourish Chicken & Beef Stew Dog Food - Food - Dog - PetSmart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 11:52 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,706,880 times
Google Whole Dog Journal" They perform on-site inspections of all brands and rate them. They are independent and have no corporate influences whatsoever. WE found "Natural Planet Organics" and they can't ever get enough. They had a weight problem that disappeared, even feeding them the same amount they maintaing their recommended body weight. Going on 3 years now and they are 14 and 12 years old.
The Journal also lists the worst, including any company that uses Chinese products - If you are not aware, thousands of dogs died with contaminated chinese ingredients several years back.
I would say that if the Petsmart is on the top list you can feel assured that it is OK for your pup.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:20 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,728,822 times
I tried using that resource, Pawporri, but it kept asking me to subscribe to read more.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:56 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,460,463 times
Try this website for info:
Simply Nourish Canned Dog Food | Review and Rating
You dont have to subscribe to anything. No PFI influence either...just the facts.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I tried using that resource, Pawporri, but it kept asking me to subscribe to read more.
Sounds like Lola's recommendation will work for you too. I do subscribe to the Journal, myself, but thought they posted that on their site w/o charge. I did look for organic info on her references but didn't see any.
Its my preference though. If what you use works and appears to be safe, don't fix it.
BTW, The Journal is not influenced by PFI or any other company, public or governmental.
Good luck with your boy.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:52 PM

8,428 posts, read 10,839,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
Try this website for info:
Simply Nourish Canned Dog Food | Review and Rating
You dont have to subscribe to anything. No PFI influence either...just the facts.
After reading what is in this food, I need to comment about something I read on another site, a while back.
The subject was dry dog food, and the people judging it stated it is high in carbohydrates, and further stated dogs do not need any carbs, and in fact intake of carbs could be dangerous.
This site you listed staes many of the ingreidents contain carbohudrates.
Not so sure that is good for any dog.
Bob.

Old 12-23-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
After reading what is in this food, I need to comment about something I read on another site, a while back.
The subject was dry dog food, and the people judging it stated it is high in carbohydrates, and further stated dogs do not need any carbs, and in fact intake of carbs could be dangerous.
Bob.
The old saw "Too much of anything is bad for you" is a good rule of thumb, IMO. We use a mix of meats for protien and organic kibble. Most all dog food today is high in corn content which contains GMO's so we don't eat it ourselves nor do we feed it to our pets. With that in mind, yes high GMO carb intake could be dangerous.
We subscribe to Whole Dog Journal because they stay on top of more of the cutting edge studies other than just focusing on a simple report on ingredients.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:02 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,948,669 times
Yes my dogs did not like it at all . It upset my one dogs stomach and so that was it . Thank God I only bought a small can .

Old 12-23-2012, 07:35 PM

8,428 posts, read 10,839,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Bob.

Boy it looks like Calguy needs spelling lessons.
Obviously I must have been rushed when I posted that post, and didn't bother to proof read it.
That is not good for someone who is involved in writing a novel.
Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs