U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 11:42 AM
miu

17,104 posts, read 34,533,299 times

Advertisements

How soon before the new dog stops lactating? Also what about a t-shirt with your scent on it tied to the new dog's neck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 08:47 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,163,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
fence is a good idea ...but I have to ask ...does the new dog or your dogs have fence agression??? Something to consider. Also mine is nervous around new dogs if he has a leash on or in a small area. might wanna take her for a walk and see how she does w/ neighborhood dogs behind fences and on leashes first. I don't know what I would do. I honestly think I would give the dog up rather then stir up the peace, but I'm a one dog household(he's got only child syndrome)
My dogs are territorial with their boundary, and if there are dogs on the other side they do get worked up (since they can't see or get to the other dog....though if they did, they would not want to hurt it so much as play with it, I think).

Yeah, serious pangs of guilt about putting all my current animals "through this" - when I used to see other people do it, I always wondered if it was fair to do? I still don't have an answer on the fairness of it, but I'm watching closely to see if anyone gets jealous, upset, etc.

Rather than repeat the update here, I'll direct you to the original "Urgent Dog" thread where I gave an update earlier tonite. The short of it is the meet & greet was a success and the Little Pit is home with us tonite. We're going to take it day by day and see how/if she fits in .

Old 10-17-2007, 08:51 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,163,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
How soon before the new dog stops lactating? Also what about a t-shirt with your scent on it tied to the new dog's neck?
Don't know....the vet techs were not sure when I asked today, I'll have to ask the vet. The shot he gave her speeds it along, but I would guess it still takes at least a week or so???

My female noticed the breasts full of milk and sniffed a few times, but did not seem to have the bad reaction that the vet warned me could be possible - it seemed more of a curiosity than anything (and I don't think my male even noticed at all).

The encounter went well and the Little Pit is home with us tonite......sorry that I have 2 threads going (confusing), but I put the whole story on the original thread - the Urgent Dog one - in case you want to hear how it went, you might want to take a look there .

Old 10-17-2007, 08:53 PM

1,738 posts, read 7,497,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
My dogs are territorial with their boundary, and if there are dogs on the other side they do get worked up (since they can't see or get to the other dog....though if they did, they would not want to hurt it so much as play with it, I think).

Yeah, serious pangs of guilt about putting all my current animals "through this" - when I used to see other people do it, I always wondered if it was fair to do? I still don't have an answer on the fairness of it, but I'm watching closely to see if anyone gets jealous, upset, etc.

Rather than repeat the update here, I'll direct you to the original "Urgent Dog" thread where I gave an update earlier tonite. The short of it is the meet & greet was a success and the Little Pit is home with us tonite. We're going to take it day by day and see how/if she fits in .
I read it!
I think you rock! ...yay for doggies! I am so excited for you!
cody isn't aggressive either ...he just wants to meet the dog, but his body language sometimes says otherwise. he's also barking when we see dogs on walks, but once he meets them, he's happy(we make him sit or down before he meets them so he doesn't learn that barking gets him what he wants).

cody can clear a baby gate too! ...we call him Cody-Roo because he jumps like a KangaROO!

good luck! Keep us posted!
new dogs are fun!

...so does she get a real name soon? "little pit" is kinda cute tho!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or