Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 08:37 AM

1,016 posts, read 4,542,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
After hearing this, I'll likely be hesitant to support any rescue organizations in the future.

An interesting question was raised on a local morning radio show today.

What if Ellen and Portia had kept the dog and a year or two from now decided to have or adopt a child? Would the rescue organization then have the right to take the dog back because there is a child under 14 in the home?

Even with children the adoption agencies don't control what happens after the adoption is legal. These people have no right to carry so much weight.
Good point! So are Ellen and Portia never allowed to have children as long as they own the dog or risk their dog being taken away from them? Where does the jurisdiction of this rescue agency end?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 08:43 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
I read that Moms and Mutts, the agency Degeneres got the dog from, has a policy that people with children under age 14 are not allowed to adopt small dogs. Since her hairdresser's daughters are 11 and 12, they are not eligible to adopt the dog themselves. If you ask me, this is a pretty dumb rule. 11 and 12-year-olds are not toddlers and should be fine around a small dog. When a rescue agencies first priority is supposed to be finding loving homes for homeless animals, why do they make dumb rules that exclude people from adopting and lessen the animal's chances at finding a home?

So Timmy couldn't adopt Lassie from Moms and Mutts?

Old 10-18-2007, 08:49 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,378,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
I think it's going to call into question the practices of many rescue groups and it's sad because I too think there is a personal issue coming into play.

Mutts & Moms lied when they claimed to be coming to do a home study when in actuality they came to reposses the dog. I would never give money or support to a group that is so undermining. If anyone, THEY are treating that pup as a possesion.
Yes they misled the family by saying they were going to do a home study but in fact showed up and grabbed the dog and called the cops. I also heard that the family did fill out adoption papers to be able to keep the dog but now the agency is upset an refused to give the family a change at keeping the puppy. Also, the agency was the first to say that if Ellen didn't give the dog back that they were going to the media and when that blew up in their face, they are acting like children themselves by refusing to let the family keep the dog. Also, I do think Ellen took full responsibility for not agreeing to the terms and I think that is why she is upset and placed the dog with the girls.

Like has been said we may not know the full truth but I don't think the agency acted in a business-like manner nor did they show a good side of them and if I was in that area, I would not support their businesses. I myself would not want to take a chance on doing business with an agency like that. That would not say that I wouldn't support others but I would definitely check them out and read everything that I was signing. There are good and bad in everything and I don't think that one bad apple should make others suffer.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:13 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Rescue as a whole is very good and they do help many dogs & cats. That said as with any organization you get over zealous people on some kind of power trip, they are in control,and the original concept of helping homeless animals is lost in the shuffle of power trips and who has the final word

Old 10-18-2007, 10:05 AM

2,493 posts, read 4,399,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janipoo View Post
Yes they misled the family by saying they were going to do a home study but in fact showed up and grabbed the dog and called the cops. I also heard that the family did fill out adoption papers to be able to keep the dog but now the agency is upset an refused to give the family a change at keeping the puppy. Also, the agency was the first to say that if Ellen didn't give the dog back that they were going to the media and when that blew up in their face, they are acting like children themselves by refusing to let the family keep the dog. Also, I do think Ellen took full responsibility for not agreeing to the terms and I think that is why she is upset and placed the dog with the girls.

Like has been said we may not know the full truth but I don't think the agency acted in a business-like manner nor did they show a good side of them and if I was in that area, I would not support their businesses. I myself would not want to take a chance on doing business with an agency like that. That would not say that I wouldn't support others but I would definitely check them out and read everything that I was signing. There are good and bad in everything and I don't think that one bad apple should make others suffer.
Well said, Janico.

I've been following the media and this is the exact same story I uncovered. I agree that Moms and Mutts acted in an unbusiness like fashion. Ellen went on TV and nationally said, "blame me. It's my fault," but that wasn't enough.

Greenie

Old 10-18-2007, 11:06 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
There are lots of give away animals that need loving homes...so noboby needs to buy a dog be it from breeders/rescuers/pet shops, etc. Just pick up the paper you got yourself a pet! An animal that needs a loving home & noboby can tell you what to do with it. No papers to sign either!

Old 10-18-2007, 11:20 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,270,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
There are lots of give away animals that need loving homes...so noboby needs to buy a dog be it from breeders/rescuers/pet shops, etc. Just pick up the paper you got yourself a pet! An animal that needs a loving home & noboby can tell you what to do with it. No papers to sign either!

Yes, and when you do that - get the dog fully vetted, spayed or neutered, and don't forget flea/tick and heartworm meds and a quality food....oh, and please be as committed to your free animal as you would be if you spent $3000 through a Code of Ethics breeder for a dog with papers out the ying-yang, which means obedience class, working through any problems you might have, cleaning, grooming, planning for where Fido will stay when you are on vacation, and most of all - not dumping the dog in 3 years because you didn't know it would be so much trouble, or it doesn't match the couch, or your child suddenly developed overnight allergies, or because puppies are so cute but the 100 lbs. big black dog just isn't anymore.

Be responsible. These may be dogs, but they are lives. To adopt an animal is like a public profession of faith to me...I will do the right thing, I will stand by this animal for the rest of it's life, and I will care for it just as I care for myself. If you go into owning a pet with a "this is for a lifetime - mine or the dog's, whichever comes first", then your eyes are wide open and you are assuming responsibility no matter WHAT happens...and remember that this animal is totally dependant on you for it's very life. Dogs develop attachments...much has been said about this particular dog allegedly being attached to these girls and how confused the dog and the children must be...I'd imagine the dog was pretty confused after bonding with Degeneres and de Rossi and waking up one morning and finding itself displaced and in yet another home. No dog deserves to be shuffled 'round and 'round...some of them will do okay, and some will have total meltdowns. Adopt a dog, adopt it for life, and that dog will give you more joy than you could ever know...but please be aware of the responsibility you are assuming and make sure that you're willing to assume it.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:46 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
Rescuers & breeders go thru a lot to make sure the dogs are healthy & happy for the rest of their lives. People just don't want to understand. Keep up the good work Sam.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:16 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,399,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
No dog deserves to be shuffled 'round and 'round...some of them will do okay, and some will have total meltdowns.
It can be difficult on both dogs and owners and that why I think Mutts and Moms should have been more sensitive and done their best to assess the Hairdresser. Instead they just pulled up with the police and took the dog, in the midst of children crying and pleading and all of that. In my mind, that is totally irresponsible. I don't see how anybody can defend those actions. And all this business about the rules are it can't go to a home with kids under 14 is utter nonsense. It's just a pinhole they used to defend themselves.

Greenie

Old 10-18-2007, 03:52 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,378,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
No dog deserves to be shuffled 'round and 'round...some of them will do okay, and some will have total meltdowns.
I know for a fact........my dog wasn't shuffled from family to family but because we sold our home.....moved into another house for a couple of months......finally in our new home.....our dog is going through something and going potty everywhere, when she didn't do before. I am trying to be patient and let her understand that this is her forever home .

Last edited by Janipoo; 10-18-2007 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: added a [
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs