Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 02:52 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times

Advertisements

Black Dog Syndrome

Heard of it?

I'd heard of it years ago, but sort of forgot about it until our most recent dog came into our home (she's a black dog).

The idea is that black coated dogs are overlooked when prospective dog owners go to adopt a dog. Some of the theories are that black dogs do not photograph as well (don't show up well on websites), people think they look meaner, superstitions, etc.

Either way, they are supposedly overlooked and the lighter coated dogs are more often adopted. Black dogs, and cats, often end up being euthanized .

The most unfortunate combination of all, it seems, are the big black dogs., such as black labs, newfoundlands, etc.

So I'm curious if everyone has heard of this syndrome? Has anyone ever purposely chosen a black dog because they were aware of the syndrome? For those who foster/do rescue, have you run into this problem?

Here are some links:

Black Dog Syndrome

PETroglyphs -- Big Black Dog Syndrome

Black pups face doggie discrimination - Pet health - MSNBC.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 03:17 PM

795 posts, read 4,538,319 times
riveree -- yes, i have heard of this "syndrome." in fact, a friend who owns two black dogs and i were talking about this about a month ago.

for background i should say that i have a white and gold dog...but i didn't choose him based on color, i chose him based on his exuberant puppy personality. really, it is more accurate to say he chose my ex and me by being the only puppy out of 11 to greet us and then stay with us during our visit.

so, my thoughts on this, were yes, as sad as it is, i can see how this bias would work. i think it's because with darker dogs it can be harder to see the details of the dog's face, maybe their eyes don't stand out as much. and i personally think that's how most of us connect with our animals, just like with humans, through the emotions that are displayed in our eyes.

i don't know, just my theory, i didn't read any of the articles so i could be completely wrong here. i personally wouldn't feel that way about a black dog anyway...i've had a black dog before whose face was almost covered by fur and i loved her very much!

i'd love to hear what other people think...good thread!

Old 08-21-2008, 03:19 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,980,844 times
Silly

Old 08-21-2008, 03:20 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
I have heard of it many times while in the shelter. That is why every dog I adopt is black. My cats seem to find me, but right now there is a special needs black kitten waiting for me to get moved so she can have a forever home.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:25 PM

556 posts, read 2,087,424 times
Riveree - thanks for starting a discussion on 'black dog syndrome'......here in our area and our state of Texas, I'd say we see this in every shelter. You can walk the kennels of the smallest facility - to the largest and there will be one after another GREAT dog - medium to large - wearing a black coat. Our local all breed group actually puts all the black coated dogs available for adoption together in a slideshow called "Black Beauties", to draw additional attention specifically to this group of dogs. We've seen adoption events where black coated dogs are offered at a reduced adoption fee. I carry my camera to many of the events and I'll admit the black dogs are harder to photograph even ......we have 5 out of 7 personal dogs who happen to be black dogs.......and I suspect at such time when a spot opens on the floor of my home, a black dog could very well find their way to the spot.

Check out the link:
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/13643484

Old 08-21-2008, 03:28 PM

960 posts, read 1,687,682 times
I was not aware of black dog syndrome. I know that black cats face that discrimination, which is a horrible shame.

I don't think I would be as superficial as to not adopt a dog based on the color of their coat. It is all about the personality for me, and I think my black and tan MinPin would agree.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:30 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
I have heard of "Black Dog Syndrome" and I'm pretty sure that's why two of my dogs were available. I can't prove it, but it seems weird that the black dogs were left.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:40 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,938,943 times
Oh that's a shame.... their lovable and drooly like any other dog. Ours has a black patch over his left eye. Does that count? We were looking at a black poodle mix at the no-kill shelter, but someone grabbed her already. All the other dogs were too big! I wish we had the room, though.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:57 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,235,578 times
Its even worse for black cats. People are superstitious and believe that they are bad luck. I was at the shelter a couple of months ago to help my mother in law pick out a new kitty. There were twice as many black kitties as all the other colors combined. They were all nice, sweet, loving cats that wanted a forever home. Like everyone else, my mother in law passed them over in favor of a striped kitty with blue eyes and a calico kitty.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:04 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
It's just the opposite for pugs. Black pugs are highly desirable and are always the first to be adopted. And black FEMALES are even more desirable...It seems to us in pug rescue that everyone wants a black female PUPPY. Uh huh.....dream on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs