Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 06:48 PM

65 posts, read 88,030 times

Advertisements

Are weiner dogs typically hyer? I want a semi-calm dog, but one that loves to play, and can live in a apartment with a big patio/yard, and I really love this breed of dog, is it a good choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 11:30 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshhhhh View Post
Are weiner dogs typically hyer? I want a semi-calm dog, but one that loves to play, and can live in a apartment with a big patio/yard, and I really love this breed of dog, is it a good choice?
We have a Dachshund - he came to live with us when he was 7 1/2 weeks old. From the first day, he has been spoiled!

They describe dachshunds as "scrappy" and ours meets that definition - but, in a good way. He loves to play and entertain us. He is a fantastic traveler and has his own bed in the car. He loves to dress up - He has a "hot dog" outfit, a Harley Davidson outfit (with goggles) as he also rides with me on my motorcycle.

He loves people - of all ages.

He has his place on our bed with his own blanket (they love to burrow) -

Dschshunds tend to be somewhat obstinate though - they have their own mind so patience is needed with them -

But, all in all - we can highly recommend the breed

Old 10-17-2007, 03:26 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
I haven't known too many Dachshunds, but the ones I've known were "active" rather than "hyper." They do have a good & playful sense of humor, as GreatDay said, and definitely love people! I wouldn't call them the smartest dogs on earth (not the ones I've met, at least), but they aren't stupid either... cute dogs, regardless. Considering what you said about your lifestyle & needs, I'd say they could be a good pick - but definitely research other breeds to make sure. Good luck!

Old 10-17-2007, 07:54 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
They are definitely not "hyper" i.e. pomeranians. They all have different personalities. Seriously, if you want more mellow, I would look at the long haired dachshunds. They are SO cute and more mellow because they have the spaniel personality bred into them (for the long hairs). They make good watchdogs.

They love people, but don't expect a dog that will "worship" you or feel guilty when it does something wrong. They are very trainable and consistency and frequency are rules of the day with this breed, but they can be very stubborn, rule them strictly as they will take over your house otherwise. Do NOT spoil them, so many people do!!!
Awesome personality and companion though. And very portable.

Don't forget these are actually mini-hunting dogs. They need exercise and love to go for hikes and walks.

Had 2 for years, they live a long time, we lost both ours when they were age 17.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:55 AM

Also, get one from a good breeder and NOT a pet shop. There are many good breeders out there and you will get a better dog for a cheaper price.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:36 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Also, get one from a good breeder and NOT a pet shop. There are many good breeders out there and you will get a better dog for a cheaper price.
I could not agree more! I cannot believe the price the pet shops charge.

We wanted to meet the parents of our pup - we did a lot of research and visited a lot of smaller breeders. Eventually, we settled on a young couple who were having just their second litter. They were great (and still are!)

Old 10-17-2007, 01:43 PM

Yes, it is such a popular breed. It is easy to find a breeder anywhere in the country.
But the potential for the profit from the puppy mills is greater cause they are so popular.

And they really aren't that expensive, the pet shops just mark them up. I have found prices from breeders around $450-$500 and the pet shop by us has had them for $750... and you get a health guarantee from the breeder.

Also, a good breeder will understand the inherent health risks of the breed and breed to avoid those.

Things to ask about in a dachsie are genetic back problems, eye problems (hard to avoid these though - progressive retinal atrophy) and possibly epilepsy (not really that common). They are a generally healthy breed, just make sure they don't get FAT cause of their long backs. And don't let them go down stairs themselves, carry them. OR jump off furniture - mostly a problem when they are rambunctious pups. Get them their own mini-bed.

Visit a breed society or association website for your area and they can hook you up with reliable breeders.

Good luck, dachshunds are awesome dogs.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:47 PM

Oh yeah, and they love to ride in cars. Ours even rode on DHs motorcycle when she was younger.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:07 PM

216 posts, read 829,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshhhhh View Post
Doxies are wonderful dogs, I have two. One is very calm and is content to just sit around and the other is a wild boy. There's really no way to tell for sure when they're puppies what they're tempement is going to be when they're grown, so if you must have a laid-back type dog then you're better off getting a youngster to adult where the personality is known. You can try your local or a national doxie rescue, look on Petfinder.com or you can look through your local classifieds or Craigslist for people who are, unfortunately, looking to rehome their dog.

Good Luck, doxies rock!

Old 10-18-2007, 08:01 AM

Yeah, our first one was pretty hyper. That is why we got our second rescue dachsie - so she had someone to play with as she was driving us nuts she was very hyper playful as a puppy and pretty much remained that way until age 15 or so.

Other dachshund - we used to say she was as slow as a bassett hound... lazzzzy. But great with the kids! she loved the kids and people ... but HATED cats. And she was really mellow but if another dog went after her or our other dachshund, watch out!! She would turn mean... only when other dogs were threatening though. Don't screw with that doggie!!

When we walked her, once she got tired, she would just sit down and refuse to budge. Had to carry her the rest of the way. Sometimes she would ride in the stroller with our kids.

Our Original dachs was raised with cats, so I think she thought she was one sometimes. She didn't have a mean bone in her body, she loved people as well as other dogs. Her best friends were labs.

Hope to get another one soon... as we miss them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs