U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 09:51 AM

4,706 posts, read 10,128,484 times

Advertisements

Years ago my oldest sister was a babysitting my other sister and brother in laws elderly dog and woke up one morning to find him dead in his dog bed. They had known he did not have much longer but could not put off the trip so were thankful he at least died someplace where he felt loved and with someone that did love him.

When I was 16 we had a dog, Pepper that had been having seizures being it was back in the early 70's vet care was not as advanced as it now is. The vet thought the dog might have a brain tumor and meds were not stopping the seizures but the only place in CA that could diagnose it would have been UC DAVIS which was a good days drive and probably quite expensive so my parents could not take the dog there. Well on my 16th birthday I came home from school to change my clothes and go out. I was the only one home and Pepper came up top greet me and fell over having yet another grand Mal seizure.He had had quite a few by then so I really was not too worried so just sat with him but rather then recover as he had always done before he died right there in my arms. It was hard but also a relief to know he would never have another seizure, He was finally at peace..some happy birthday huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 10:14 AM

737 posts, read 2,240,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
Years ago my oldest sister was a babysitting my other sister and brother in laws elderly dog and woke up one morning to find him dead in his dog bed. They had known he did not have much longer but could not put off the trip so were thankful he at least died someplace where he felt loved and with someone that did love him.

When I was 16 we had a dog, Pepper that had been having seizures being it was back in the early 70's vet care was not as advanced as it now is. The vet thought the dog might have a brain tumor and meds were not stopping the seizures but the only place in CA that could diagnose it would have been UC DAVIS which was a good days drive and probably quite expensive so my parents could not take the dog there. Well on my 16th birthday I came home from school to change my clothes and go out. I was the only one home and Pepper came up top greet me and fell over having yet another grand Mal seizure.He had had quite a few by then so I really was not too worried so just sat with him but rather then recover as he had always done before he died right there in my arms. It was hard but also a relief to know he would never have another seizure, He was finally at peace..some happy birthday huh?
Thanks, I guess I was looking for that. I know I to make a decision at some, but surely wish she would just pass peacefully. Your story is exactly what I'm hoping for but of course, have a decision at some point... but maybe not. Thanks so much.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:20 AM

4,948 posts, read 16,482,783 times
I had my 14 year old dog die at home. she acted different so she went to the vet . she was given tests without
my permission and next day I was told to come and get 100.00 worth of meds. was told to force the dog to eat and
drink which I did not do, she died in my arm 12 hours later and I did not even know it. I think when a dog does
not want to eat that is a bad sign. My cat also died at home and never acted sick I just wroke one morning and found her
dead on her favorite chair.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:59 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,494,343 times
My sweet boy, a weimaraner either 17 or 18 (depending upon which kid is counting), is in his last days. I give him meds and take the care of him I can. He snorts and dances and wiggles on his back. But his skeleton has let him down and sometimes he can't walk, etc but once the arthritis pill starts working he is mobile.

He won't let go and both vets say he is staying because of me. So I gave him permission to let go and that I would be safe (he is a strong protector) and he could pass whenever he was ready. The dog looked at me with a pure derisive expression, wobbled himself off, and turned his back to me for a day. So I got the message.

So I expect each day to be his last but when he goes he will be in his home and here. Pending some organ failure, etc at which time I must take him to the vet.

But as of today he is pressing forward.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:54 PM

23,279 posts, read 28,085,400 times
We have always had large breed dogs. All have passed naturally, and all of them were eating and appeared well, then died in their sleep (one appeared to have just collapsed where he stood.) We have never had to put an animal to sleep, and I dread the prospect.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:32 AM

16,487 posts, read 21,015,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
My sweet boy, a weimaraner either 17 or 18 (depending upon which kid is counting), is in his last days. I give him meds and take the care of him I can. He snorts and dances and wiggles on his back. But his skeleton has let him down and sometimes he can't walk, etc but once the arthritis pill starts working he is mobile.

He won't let go and both vets say he is staying because of me. So I gave him permission to let go and that I would be safe (he is a strong protector) and he could pass whenever he was ready. The dog looked at me with a pure derisive expression, wobbled himself off, and turned his back to me for a day. So I got the message.

So I expect each day to be his last but when he goes he will be in his home and here. Pending some organ failure, etc at which time I must take him to the vet.

But as of today he is pressing forward.
This has me crying, it is so sad to lose a beloved pet. I think it is so thoughtful, what you said to your dog. When he does pass I hope it is pain free and ready to go when he wants. Here is a (((hug))) for you and your sweet dog.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:38 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,494,343 times
thank you suzy_que and broken crayola for the encouragement.

you are the best.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:36 PM

39,236 posts, read 18,774,996 times
We had an elderly westie....with many health issues......she ran up many huge vet bills over the last 8 years of her life (Addison's Disease). She outlived all the prognostic assessments of a variety of vets....but as she got up into her middle teens ..... she started to decline in other areas....blindness, deafness, confusion, and she got really irritable (who wouldnt)....the quality of her life was declining but day to day we all managed.....and we put off the inevitable decision....but the last time she went into a crises....we didnt rush her to the emergency hospital for treatments that would have cost thousands......we held her and rocked her...and told her how much we loved her....as she slowed and slept....we recounted all the experiences of her life time from the ride over on the ferry from Staten Island where she was born to t he apartment on the upper east side of NYC...to the farm in Pennsylvania to the move to San Diego...and then to Maine.....all the people she loved and knew....over the years.....my partner held her and rocked and rocked and gently talked to her.....when I suggested he might want a break....he informed me that she had passed about an hour earlier....but he couldnt put her down yet. Her passing was full of love and was peaceful.

I am sure Cricket will be waiting on the other side.....full of life....bossy.....her little tail wagging .... eyes bright and not missing a thing. God we loved that spunky little dog.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:07 PM

737 posts, read 2,240,752 times
Thanks to all for listening and giving me some hope. I guess I'm selfish, but more than that, I'm just sleepless trying to spend so many moments with her, now more than ever.

When my daughter began to drive (long ago) and my now husband had to do guy things with his son, well the only real friend I had was Lucky. So I actually once made a restaurant reservation for two "people"; okay I caught myself, cancelled the reservation and just make steak for us to share; but none of this is news to all of you.

Just thanks so much for getting this... will update, probably this year but just want the peace she so much deserves, I owe her that as she as given me more than I can ever could give her.

ELSTON: Cricket's story (and so many others) made me weep but gave me hope.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:37 PM

9,352 posts, read 16,774,074 times
our childhood dog was a cocker spaniel named Duchess..... as she got into her teens, she went blind and deaf, but was still fine navigating around the house.... one day, when I was 20 and she was 17, I came home from work and knew immediately that something was wrong.... I believe that she had had a severe stroke or had developed some sort of awful cancer that was finally too much for her..... the vet's office was already closed, but I resolved to take off work in the morning and get her in first thing..... it was finally time after years of having friends, etc. tell us to put her down because of her deafness and blindness.......

She passed in her sleep that night.....

It has been over 30 years and I still remember it like yesterday......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs