Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 11:26 PM

3 posts, read 6,807 times

Advertisements

My almost 2yearold lab was picked up by the local animal control. thankful he was safe and not stolen. unfortunately he was afforded a night stay at the local animal lockup. He has been inside since birth and always slept at the end of the bed. I'm sure the shelters accommodations were quite different than he's used to. I picked him up within 24hours and after bathing and a couple hours pass we noticed his eyes were glaised over and gathering in the corners and a couple days of diariah ..as well as a dry almost hoarse cough but not constant. His eyes are clear now and his bowel movements have returned to normal... but this cough has been going all day.. any one help please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 11:48 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,474,480 times
It sounds like he may have contracted kennel cough. It is airborne respiratory infection that sounds horrible but easily treated. At the very least, a call to your vet is needed. Glad to hear he is home safe and sound.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:00 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
I would take him to the vet if possible. I got my little pup from the pound and he had a cough the second day he was home. Hubby thought it was reverse sneezing so we waited a day and he nearly died from pneumonia.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:49 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Definitely take him to the vet. Animal control facilities aren't shelters. They are the most inhumane places ever. The poor dog might not have had heat, food or water. Our animal control keeps dogs in metal boxes that aren't airconditioned on the trucks for the entire day when it's over 100 degrees. It's not uncommon for dogs to die while in the care of animal control, and not due to be euthanized, but due to being treated badly. As a matter of fact, our animal control was closed due to abuse and neglect. That's the shelter most of the metro municipalities contracted with.

I can't find the article for that one, but I found this article of a "no-kill" shelter that was closed in my region. READ THIS and you will find out what these shelters are like.

Undercover video from pet shelter led to charges - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Authorities said it wasn't a no-kill shelter but a SLOW KILL shelter. The animals would have been better off being put to sleep than ending up at this shelter where they were not fed or given water. Hundreds and hundreds of cats were found in freezers and mass graves on the property. Many of the cats needed to be put out of their misery immediately after being found in the raid. The worst part about this is that rumors of the shelter of horrors spread for YEARS before authorities were finally able to do anything about it.

I'm just trying to impress upon you the importance of taking your dog to the vet ASAP.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:24 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
When I adopted my dog she was coughing too. Her nose and eyes looked healthy. It ended up being kennel cough which required 7-10 days of medicine from the vet clinic.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:45 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
If you ever board your dog or even take it in for grooming you have to show proof of recent kennel cough vaccine. it is noting to delay. Get pup to vet ASAP.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:53 AM

3 posts, read 6,807 times
Thanks so much, calling vet today!

Old 01-04-2013, 02:17 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
sounds like hes picked up kennel cough...
the vaccine is BULL, it only protects for 3 months after vaccination and then only for a smal numbe rof the most common strains...its about as usefull as a rock to the head...
most kennel cough in an otherwise healthy dog will go away in 7-14 days on its own (its much liek a human cold) however in dogs with compromised immune systems it can develop complications (primarily pneumonia) personally i wouldnt give antibiotics for a kennel cough (the vet i worked for only did if the kennel cough was severe in an already compromised og (ie young/elderly or on other meidcatons ect) weve always just done cough syrup, keep em warm and stints in a most warm room (bathroom after youve had a shower) a few times a day

that being said id still call te vet and have a chat, your dog could have other "issues" that i personally dont knowabout that would make the kennelcough more likely to turn into pneumonia ect and its always best to be safe than sorry...
just be sure to educate yourself on what kennel cough is before jumping on the antibiotic band wagon...like in humans we are seeing alot more antibiotic resistance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs