Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 01:55 PM

417 posts, read 1,065,135 times

Advertisements

Sydney is my first male dog..so I'm totally new to neutering or what exactly the site should look like when completely healed. He got neutered on November 7, a little over a month ago. And everything had gone smoothly..we kept the cone on for about 10 days, he did not bother the site, and he was only allowed 20 minute monitored walks while healing. The site looked good until about 2 days ago, I noticed a red bump. It almost looked like a blood blister, and this morning looked more like a pimple on top of this lump looking thing under his penis..forgive my "technical" terms, I'm clueless when it comes to boy dogs .

Could this be an infection a month after surgery? I am going to try and get him into my vet on Saturday morning but just curious is anyone else had encountered anything like this? I thought we were in the clear
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 03:10 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,237,547 times
We had a urinary infection after PC's neuter. A few hours after the surgery, he was peeing red blood and clots and actually crying and straining to pee. Turns out he had an infection that was cleared up with antibiotics.

Not sure about what you're describing though, we definitely didn't have that happen. I'd take him to the vet to rule out infection.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:38 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,853,980 times
Aw crap! I'm guessing that it's not neuter-related seeing as it's been so long and you were so good about keeping him away from the site. I hope it's nothing, but let us know once you've been to the vet.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:55 AM

Thanks MAK and Dawn! He has a vet appointment on Saturday morning, so fingers crossed its nothing too serious..it looked a little better this morning but I don't want to risk anything if it is an infection. I did some reading online and it could possibly be a stitch that didn't dissolve but it seems like a long time for even that...I stopped reading because I was just freaking myself out..we'll see what the vet says..the good news is PetsMart's Friends and Family sale started yesterday so today I'm going to buy all his Christmas presents and everything will be 15%..woo! He may get a present early if he's a good boy at the vet =)

Old 12-10-2010, 08:03 AM

143 posts, read 373,404 times
I bet you're right about the stitch, and a month definitely isn't too long for it to start acting up. When my friend had surgery, he had the stitches that dissolve, and three months later he thought he had a pimple ... he squeezed, and out came part of a stitch! His doctor said that was normal, and sometimes the body just takes a while to decide it doesn't want that bit.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan5 View Post
Thanks MAK and Dawn! He has a vet appointment on Saturday morning, so fingers crossed its nothing too serious..it looked a little better this morning but I don't want to risk anything if it is an infection. I did some reading online and it could possibly be a stitch that didn't dissolve but it seems like a long time for even that...I stopped reading because I was just freaking myself out..we'll see what the vet says..the good news is PetsMart's Friends and Family sale started yesterday so today I'm going to buy all his Christmas presents and everything will be 15%..woo! He may get a present early if he's a good boy at the vet =)
Oh! I should have thought of that. It may very well be. I had breast reduction surgery in 2001 and -- I kid you not -- I found "ends" of stitches throughout the years, as recently as THIS year.

Of course Sydney will be a good boy on Saturday! He's always a good boy and deserves a present EVERY day. Your wallet may not agree, though.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:15 AM

5,088 posts, read 12,534,012 times
Could be as they said above, or if they had to shave the area could be a hair follicle or if it is along the line of where the stitches were maybe even a small
keloid which is scar tissue. If the arae around the bump is red and warm to touch I would consider an infection that would be more then a pimple and infections usually grow in size pretty fast.

Dazzle was a little red along the stitch line after the stitches came out but it cleared up on its own. Dash had to have surgery to remove bladder stones and after the staples came out there was an area that swelled and got red so I took him in and it was a staple that the skin had cover over so the vet had missed it when taking them out. so he cut the swelling open and took that staple out and it healed well.

Hope it turns out to be nothing and that Sydney gets an early present for being a good boy at the vets!

Old 12-13-2010, 11:47 AM

I forgot to update over the weekend..thanks for all the advice/well wishes! The vet said it was a stitch that did not dissolve properly..by Sayurday it was already looking 100 times better but we brought him just to be safe..the vet checked it out and said it was already healing on its own, so he said if it is still red in a day or two, apply a little neosporin (spelling?) to the area, otherwise his body should heal itself...its looking so much better so I think I'll hold off on the neosporin..and he did get an early present, a new Nylabone, as well as a bully stick..he was a happy pupper

Old 12-13-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan5 View Post
I forgot to update over the weekend..thanks for all the advice/well wishes! The vet said it was a stitch that did not dissolve properly..by Sayurday it was already looking 100 times better but we brought him just to be safe..the vet checked it out and said it was already healing on its own, so he said if it is still red in a day or two, apply a little neosporin (spelling?) to the area, otherwise his body should heal itself...its looking so much better so I think I'll hold off on the neosporin..and he did get an early present, a new Nylabone, as well as a bully stick..he was a happy pupper
Terrific!

Old 09-22-2013, 12:35 AM

1 posts, read 20,680 times
I had my two chihuahua males neutered on the same day (Rocky was 15 months old and Tank was 10 months old). They now have chronic prostatitis. Any knowledge of HOW they could have acquired this and any suggestions for a treatment/cure that works?
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs