Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 06:19 PM

830 posts, read 1,058,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrogal View Post
So I hate to say it but by hanging around you were probably upsetting the dog worse!

Sometimes towel drying is not an option.
So I wouldn't call it abuse....just stupidity.
Oh you are so right. When I went in the room to console the dog it was obvious I was making matters worse especially because I couldn't get close enough to properly console the dog. Someone should have been in there consoling that dog and if the drying was neccessary (which you'll never get me to agree on that one) it should have been done quickly!

Stupidity leads to abuse. Where you find abuse you'll find stupidity. Even if the abuser is a genius!!

Old 10-18-2007, 06:28 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,908,291 times
FrozenAngel....I do apologize for my role in this. I didn't mean for it to go this far.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:30 PM

830 posts, read 1,058,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaw View Post
FrozenAngel....I do apologize for my role in this. I didn't mean for it to go this far.
No apology necessary.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:50 AM

575 posts, read 3,687,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaw View Post
I have a German Shepherd Dog........So yes I have a working dog. Nuff Said.
Oh you have an import? Your GSD was shipped from Europe and you have the 'papers to back that up by posting them'? Didn't think so.

What you have is a watered down us bred and born gs., (this is a totally different animal genetically) and I hardly consider that a working dog and neither would any REAL trainer, why do you think all police, PPD's, Shutz's ect... are imports which are selectively chosen?

Old 10-19-2007, 08:16 AM

1,738 posts, read 8,251,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chick View Post
Bloodlines and genetics, take for example the Australian Shep's. They are genetic Herder's, have an over-the-top prey drive so they have to be trained not to kill the herd but instead move it. They have to be under control. How do you think they achieve this? With treats or a stern voice? Nope.
I have to chime in and say YES! ....stern voice and a plastic rake to block his efforts worked great. Took him two tries to catch on that he can't eat the sheep ....no collars amped w/ electricity, no choke chains ...just me, sheep, good commands and a plastic rake. ...my cody is a mini Aussie(maybe w/ some sheltie or B.C. in him) ...that makes him a double worker I think(ha). I have no papers(he's a pound puppy), but I have tons of jobs for him and keep him busy due to his working personality. At the moment he is trying to locate his ball. I hide it in the couch.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
I have to chime in and say YES! ....stern voice and a plastic rake to block his efforts worked great. Took him two tries to catch on that he can't eat the sheep ....no collars amped w/ electricity, no choke chains ...just me, sheep, good commands and a plastic rake.
Then you have an very exceptional dog because the majority cannot be trained that way, counted on and trusted until they are proofed and that does not takes 2 tries.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Then you have an very exceptional dog because the majority cannot be trained that way, counted on and trusted until they are proofed and that does not takes 2 tries.
my friends Aussie is the same way.
Took her 2-3 sessions to understand the rules and now she herds them and will go into a down when asked. Cody isn't that good and we haven't done it in months, so we would have to start over, but my point is we accomplished this very quickly and just had alot of trust between us and our dogs.

he does have a high prey drive, but i would never negatively correct it, as that would dampen his personality.
When instincts are involved(chasing, herding, etc) I believe redirecting the energy is far more productive then a negative reaction. for instacne when Cody wants to chase a bike, we throw a ball and he forgets the bike. When he attempts to herd the cat I ask him to find my socks and then he learns not to chase the cat ...it's a common practice in our house.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:31 AM

969 posts, read 2,840,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenAngel View Post
Should I write a story in my magazine about this??? I say yes!! But do tell me if you think I am being too sensitive.
If not you - who will? Bless you for caring.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:39 AM

That's your opinion and just like my opinion, what does that mean? It takes 6 months minimum of constant training to full proof a herder, according to the herding experts, which is what I have read though (it is not my thing) and it is quite different than training PPD's and I am NOT a trainer just a handler and just like you would trust your trainer, if you have one unless you are the expert trainer, I trust mine.

All breeds are different, also all dogs of 'their own' breed are different.

My female is soft, takes very little correction. My male is very hard, he barely notices it, and they are very smart dogs, easy to train but as I said out of the box they are genetically this way.

After the first training session with my male he understood what was expected but it takes lots of training for control. You have one scenario with a herder, I have an infinite amounts of scenarios with a protection dog. From the car, in the city, in a house, in the counrty, in the woods, in water, through gunfire and on and on.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:44 AM

Quote:
That's your opinion and just like my opinion, what does that mean? It takes 6 months minimum of constant training to full proof a herder, according to the herding experts, which is what I have read though (it is not my thing) and it is quite different than training PPD's and I am NOT a trainer just a handler and just like you would trust your trainer, if you have one unless you are the expert trainer, I trust mine.

All breeds are different, also all dogs of 'their own' breed are different.

My female is soft, takes very little correction. My male is very hard, he barely notices it, and they are very smart dogs, easy to train but as I said out of the box they are genetically this way.

After the first training session with my male he understood what was expected but it takes lots of training for control. You have one scenario with a herder, I have an infinite amounts of scenarios with a protection dog. From the car, in the city, in a house, in the counrty, in the woods, in water, through gunfire and on and on.

i am not a expert trainer ...but my expert trainer was there w/ me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs