U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-05-2013, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, N.C.
36,483 posts, read 43,636,396 times
Reputation: 47245

Advertisements

I detest people sometime



Gypsy's owner came in one day last week and wanted to know if animal control would pick Gypsy up...she said she couldn't have her anymore. We asked why she didn't bring her in herself. Her response, "I don't want her in my car." She was told she had to bring her in...and she did the next day. Gypsy is a year and a half old, blue and white Pitbull. The owner parked at the front door...she got Gypsy out of the car, handled the leash to staff and drove away without looking at or touching this poor pathetic dog. Gypsy on the other hand did not take her eyes off her owner and begged with whimpers. Gypsy chased the car and when that failed she laid flat on the pavement and would not move. It took the staff 30 minutes of talking and gentle strokes for her to allow us to pick her up and carry her inside. Our hands were black from touching her and it took 4 baths to get her clean. The owner had kept her tied outside to a tree. She is heartworm positive. Gypsy is the face of animal shelters....she is the face of irresponsible pet owners who when they get tired of an animal, when they no longer serve their purpose they simply drop them off without a word or a touch at a shelter. This is why there is a pet overpopulation problem that leads to 10 million animals a year being euthanized in the United States. Gypsy did not deserve this fate. No, we can't save them all....but we can save Gypsy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-05-2013, 01:01 PM
 
Location: zone 5
7,330 posts, read 13,192,445 times
Reputation: 9611
Funny, I saw this post on facebook yesterday too. I don't usually read all the dogs' stories that one of my friends shares because it just gets to be too much. I come across enough sad stories in real life. But Gypsy's picture touched me a little bit extra, and I read her story and then read it to my husband. It is so typical of the dogs left in shelters that they watch their crappy owners leave, with love and bewilderment written on their faces. If only everyone was as loyal to their dog as they are to us.

Last edited by subject2change; 01-05-2013 at 01:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2013, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, N.C.
36,483 posts, read 43,636,396 times
Reputation: 47245
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
If only everyone was as loyal to their dog as they are to us.
so true. So many people are not worthy of this kind of love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2013, 01:24 PM
 
1,286 posts, read 2,965,032 times
Reputation: 2277
OMG, what a face and eyes!

I do give the creep who turned her in a small bit of credit...at least she did not abandon her on the streets or in some wilderness somewhere. Because she didn't, Gypsy does have a shot at a quality life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2013, 02:29 PM
 
Location: From TX to VA
8,578 posts, read 5,956,569 times
Reputation: 8073
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
..... It is so typical of the dogs left in shelters that they watch their crappy owners leave, with love and bewilderment written on their faces. If only everyone was as loyal to their dog as they are to us.
That's how I would describe Gypsy in this photo...bewildered, confused and - watchful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2013, 03:50 PM
 
Location: Eastern NC
19,460 posts, read 17,701,703 times
Reputation: 17230
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I detest people sometime



Gypsy's owner came in one day last week and wanted to know if animal control would pick Gypsy up...she said she couldn't have her anymore. We asked why she didn't bring her in herself. Her response, "I don't want her in my car." She was told she had to bring her in...and she did the next day. Gypsy is a year and a half old, blue and white Pitbull. The owner parked at the front door...she got Gypsy out of the car, handled the leash to staff and drove away without looking at or touching this poor pathetic dog. Gypsy on the other hand did not take her eyes off her owner and begged with whimpers. Gypsy chased the car and when that failed she laid flat on the pavement and would not move. It took the staff 30 minutes of talking and gentle strokes for her to allow us to pick her up and carry her inside. Our hands were black from touching her and it took 4 baths to get her clean. The owner had kept her tied outside to a tree. She is heartworm positive. Gypsy is the face of animal shelters....she is the face of irresponsible pet owners who when they get tired of an animal, when they no longer serve their purpose they simply drop them off without a word or a touch at a shelter. This is why there is a pet overpopulation problem that leads to 10 million animals a year being euthanized in the United States. Gypsy did not deserve this fate. No, we can't save them all....but we can save Gypsy.
Wouldn't it be fun to take people who do things like that and drop them off at a jail without a reason an let them rot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2013, 04:14 PM
 
13,297 posts, read 25,491,832 times
Reputation: 20410
I so hope that this dog will get a good home thanks to the publicity of her story.
Sometimes I look forward to the end of my own life so I won't have to know about animal suffering, and the realize how stupid that is, because it will still go on without my being aware. So I just go on to support people who are doing the right things, take the adoptions that I can, and so on. I have to believe that each act of kindness and saving an animal from suffering reverberates through the world, and I think that more than I do the actual numbers of animals and quantify how much is getting done.
After all, there was a time where the idea of animals not suffering (like when horses were more for work, and there was no such thing as spaying/neutering) would have been absurd, and yet one by one, it can happen. Just have to keep putting one foot in front of the other and do what you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2013, 04:14 PM
 
857 posts, read 1,772,506 times
Reputation: 1116
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I detest people sometime



Gypsy's owner came in one day last week and wanted to know if animal control would pick Gypsy up...she said she couldn't have her anymore. We asked why she didn't bring her in herself. Her response, "I don't want her in my car." She was told she had to bring her in...and she did the next day. Gypsy is a year and a half old, blue and white Pitbull. The owner parked at the front door...she got Gypsy out of the car, handled the leash to staff and drove away without looking at or touching this poor pathetic dog. Gypsy on the other hand did not take her eyes off her owner and begged with whimpers. Gypsy chased the car and when that failed she laid flat on the pavement and would not move. It took the staff 30 minutes of talking and gentle strokes for her to allow us to pick her up and carry her inside. Our hands were black from touching her and it took 4 baths to get her clean. The owner had kept her tied outside to a tree. She is heartworm positive. Gypsy is the face of animal shelters....she is the face of irresponsible pet owners who when they get tired of an animal, when they no longer serve their purpose they simply drop them off without a word or a touch at a shelter. This is why there is a pet overpopulation problem that leads to 10 million animals a year being euthanized in the United States. Gypsy did not deserve this fate. No, we can't save them all....but we can save Gypsy.

Where is this dog now and what state? I hope she is in a no kill shelter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2013, 08:29 PM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, N.C.
36,483 posts, read 43,636,396 times
Reputation: 47245
This is where Gypsy is:The Animal Protection League Inc., Indiana - Anderson, IN - Animal Shelter | Facebook
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 07:52 AM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
16,289 posts, read 10,286,132 times
Reputation: 28316
thought I had about this overnight: what if the owner had kept the dog!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:12 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top