Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 05:17 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,696,907 times

Advertisements

My four month old GSD female puppy is very sassy and full of herself! She is adorable, smart and a girl, but, she is being raised with her 6 year old 110 pound GSD uncle. He lets her jump all over him bit him and whatever. She seems to do this with all dogs and I don't want her to grow up and be aggressive and bark at other dogs. Today we ran into a small six month old dog and she barked her head off at him! Ugggg....my boy dog was very mild mannered as a pup....will my female pup calm down or what should I do to get her to rein in her behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 05:19 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,015,863 times
four months old is a puppy, she is acting like one. settle her down when you think she is out of line or don't like what she is doing.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:30 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Sounds like normal behavior to me. When the old dog has had enough, he will give her a tooth knock to let her know she has stepped over the line. The dog will teach her manners when he decides she is old enough.

She is old enough to learn the command "quiet" from you.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:36 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,696,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Sounds like normal behavior to me. When the old dog has had enough, he will give her a tooth knock to let her know she has stepped over the line. The dog will teach her manners when he decides she is old enough.

She is old enough to learn the command "quiet" from you.

Ok! I just worry that she won't be such an amazing dog as my six year old Thanks. She is so so much more bold than when my male was a puppy. Any idea if females are like that?

Old 01-06-2013, 05:46 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,422,758 times
Some people say female dogs are more vocal. I'm not sure if I believe it. Anyway, she probably barks because she wants to play with the other dog. Tell her quiet (use treats if necessary to teach her this) and when she settles down, assuming she and the other dog are leashed, take her over to see the dog (with that dog's owner's permission). Watch both for their behavior. Let them sniff noses, praise if she behaves well.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:05 PM

24,399 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Dogs don't train themselves, that's your job. She is still a pup, so it's up to you how she will turn out.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:24 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,348,456 times
I would highly recommend taking your dog to playgroups monitored by trained, experienced staff! Let me know if you need help finding one close to you

Old 01-06-2013, 06:33 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
She is a baby. Don't expect one dog to be the same as another, even with same breed or family. I hated my dog Sam until he was 18 months old. He was obnoxious, bad, and everything terrible wrapped up in a dog package. I worked with him 25 hours a week.

And "magically", one day, I turned around, and he was perfect. A model dog. People raved about how "lucky" I was to have such a wonderful, well behaved dog....

All it takes is time, patience, and lots of work.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:03 PM

24,399 posts, read 26,946,756 times
It's important to socialize her outside of your house. You should try to take her to a dog park at least twice a week. It will make her have a good mentality toward other dogs and humans.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:45 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,348,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
It's important to socialize her outside of your house. You should try to take her to a dog park at least twice a week. It will make her have a good mentality toward other dogs and humans.
We're on the same page bmw, but I think even better than the dog park would be a supervised playgroup at a training or daycare facility! There, you'd have trained staff monitoring the play and keeping things safe and appropriate. Playgroups are usually really cheap too. The best dog trainers are often... dogs! Let the other well socialized dogs in the playgroup communicate to your dog what is and is not acceptable play. Pup will learn the subtle signals of dog language and be able to better read other dogs in the future. Her social skills will improve and she'll learn how to adapt her approach depending on the signals of the other dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs