U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 08:41 AM

1,286 posts, read 2,963,704 times

Advertisements

I would change the photo captions to "Heaven" & "Hell"

I get the working dog thing and can see tethering a dog part time as long as it's getting TONS of exercise/stimulation during the day.

Fortunately, we now have an anti-tethering law here. Prior to that, there were dogs tethered in yards that were completely fenced in. Utter nonsense!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 06:27 PM
ZSP

1,568 posts, read 4,160,864 times
In my city, there are many, many dogs chained 24/7 and yes, in a fenced yard. You can even see evidence of this in pictures on Craigslist. I mean, why post a picture of a dog kept like that...hoping someone will come buy him.

Just this morning I had two of my girls at the vet for vaccines/blood work and an emergency case came in...a beautiful Dalmation pup with a broken femur. She was crying and obviously in pain. The people told the office person she got tangled in her chain and yes...that's how they keep her 24/7. They didn't have any money either and I don't know what happened to the dog.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:01 PM

6,067 posts, read 8,333,468 times
There is a big difference between putting a dog on a chain for a short time and a dog living his or her entire life chained up. I have an aunt who has a dog and that poor gal has spent her entire life chained up outside. It makes me SICK and I've thought many times about stealing her. I think it would be better to put the dog down than to make it live outside alone tied up 24/7.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:27 PM

4,707 posts, read 10,136,984 times
I agree dogs should not be chained outside to live their life at the end of a chain. But I see nothing wrong about tethering a dog for short periods. Going camping is a fine example of when it is ok. My late Jazz use to like to sit under the tree out front and watch what was happening on " Her Street" after all she was the queen so sometimes I would indulge her and tie her outside to the tree while I was working in the kitchen so could also keep an eye on her. She got to know her regular court members that way which is important for a queen as then she knew who did not belong on her street I would also tie her out front at my parents house when I was there and was out working in their front yard as she wanted to be with me not inside or in the fenced back yard so to her that was a treat.It settled her need to know what was going on in their neighborhood too as it was after all and extention to her kingdom and she was nosey .

That said my dogs have all been indoor dogs and outdoor time is at the dog park or beach or on a hike, walk or doing agility. I have a small fenced patio with a dog door to it but do not have a fenced yard so when they are out I am too so we go fun places every day. When we visited my parents my dogs had the choice of using a dog door and being out in a fenced yard or being inside and they usually wanted to be inside unless I was outside too so yards being important in owning a dog are a bit over rated as it is possible to own a dog without a fenced yard or tethering a dog outside and for that dog to be properly exercised and happy. I have always felt it is the time that an owner can spend with adog that is important.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:48 PM

6,067 posts, read 8,333,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I agree dogs should not be chained outside to live their life at the end of a chain. But I see nothing wrong about tethering a dog for short periods. Going camping is a fine example of when it is ok. My late Jazz use to like to sit under the tree out front and watch what was happening on " Her Street" after all she was the queen so sometimes I would indulge her and tie her outside to the tree while I was working in the kitchen so could also keep an eye on her. She got to know her regular court members that way which is important for a queen as then she knew who did not belong on her street I would also tie her out front at my parents house when I was there and was out working in their front yard as she wanted to be with me not inside or in the fenced back yard so to her that was a treat.It settled her need to know what was going on in their neighborhood too as it was after all and extention to her kingdom and she was nosey .

That said my dogs have all been indoor dogs and outdoor time is at the dog park or beach or on a hike, walk or doing agility. I have a small fenced patio with a dog door to it but do not have a fenced yard so when they are out I am too so we go fun places every day. When we visited my parents my dogs had the choice of using a dog door and being out in a fenced yard or being inside and they usually wanted to be inside unless I was outside too so yards being important in owning a dog are a bit over rated as it is possible to own a dog without a fenced yard or tethering a dog outside and for that dog to be properly exercised and happy. I have always felt it is the time that an owner can spend with adog that is important.
This!! Dogs want to be where we are whether we are inside or outside! They definitely don't want to be left alone outside all day while we are inside! And I agree you don't need a fenced yard to have a dog. My parents used to have a cable running across their yard so their dog could go outside while my dad was outside working. But she didn't spend her whole life that way.

Some people should not own pets!

Old 01-12-2013, 02:02 PM

373 posts, read 559,807 times
Growing up we had a yellow lab that hated being in the house and would dig the floor and chew doors to get out. He was also a runner and was not uncommon to have him show up 10 miles away. The solution was we tethered him during the day to the yard. He had a dog house. He came into the house at night and in bad weather.

My three dogs are inside dogs. They go out for bathroom purposes only.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:48 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,030,254 times
My boys are inside, as they are "mama's boys!" Wherever I am, they want to be also. It is what it is...they love human contact.

I have a dog next door. He is a beautiful blue pit, just over a year old. As any pittie owner knows, they (Pitties) LOVE being with their peeps. He is no exception. They may as well purchased a lawn ornaiment, as when he is outside and chained up, he gets little if any attention. When he gets loose, he loves to climb the fence and come over for a visit. The boys all play and it is fun to watch. I won't tell his people because I don't want him to get into trouble.

As it has gotten colder, they do take him in at night and IF it is bitterly cold, they will keep him in during the day. As you know, pits are a single coat dog and can't stay warm without enough fur.

The law here requires that the dog (if outside tethered or not in a yard) MUST have shelter from the weather, food and water. I know he was knocking over his food dish and water bowel because the chain knocked them over. As for shelter, there is none.

Did I mention, the chain goes around his neck? Yes, he has a collar but the chain is NOT attached to it. Not sure why they do this???

More than one neighbor has called A/C. However, they won't answer the door when A/C comes out.

This dog deserves better...he just wants to be with his peeps...and they just want him as a status symbol.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:27 AM

3 posts, read 1,727 times
I have a chained pit bull female. She's very playful, fat, and happy with her home. I don't see what the big deal is as long as a dog is being taken care of. And, before you yell animal abuse, let me tell you, the small town where I live has a LAW about chaining pit bulls. If she wasn't chained any cop could walk in my yard and shoot her dead for not being on a chain. Maybe some of these people should learn the real laws and not the laws by a bunch of animal advocates. I don't believe in animal cruelty. But, my dog is not being abused, she's happy as can be and I love her enough to know my laws in my city and know that she has to be chained, because that's all the resources I have. Don't even start with putting her in the house, I've had plenty pits in the house, my blue male remodeled my kitchen floor one day. So, I don't know about everyone else but I don't have the money to start remodeling my house because pits are playful and like to chew on stuff. Have a heart and know that if a good animal owner has a chained dog that their doing it for the dogs protection.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:35 AM

3 posts, read 1,727 times
Angry wow

if only people would worry like this about children. same for children, some people don't need them but they have them anyways. wished people would get in an uproar over children being abused....

than this world might be a better place.

Old 12-29-2015, 02:16 PM

11,877 posts, read 5,042,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitmom2015 View Post
I have a chained pit bull female. She's very playful, fat, and happy with her home. I don't see what the big deal is as long as a dog is being taken care of. And, before you yell animal abuse, let me tell you, the small town where I live has a LAW about chaining pit bulls. If she wasn't chained any cop could walk in my yard and shoot her dead for not being on a chain. Maybe some of these people should learn the real laws and not the laws by a bunch of animal advocates. I don't believe in animal cruelty. But, my dog is not being abused, she's happy as can be and I love her enough to know my laws in my city and know that she has to be chained, because that's all the resources I have. Don't even start with putting her in the house, I've had plenty pits in the house, my blue male remodeled my kitchen floor one day. So, I don't know about everyone else but I don't have the money to start remodeling my house because pits are playful and like to chew on stuff. Have a heart and know that if a good animal owner has a chained dog that their doing it for the dogs protection.
Nonsense. Having a dog live it's life at the end of a chain is animal cruelty whether or not you see it that way. I'm not saying you don't love your dog, but what kind of life does she have or possibly have? If you don't have the resources to have a dog and treat her like a member of your family, then perhaps you shouldn't have a dog. I know that is harsh, but having a dog should be a mutual relationship where you both benefit from each other's love and companionship. How can she do this being chained up all day? If you are going to have a pit bull that is not allowed in open yards, then you shouldn't have a pit bull unless you have a fenced yard in which she can't escape. Of course your dog is happy whenever you walk outside to see her. She's craving your love and attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs