U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 12:17 PM

19,434 posts, read 17,674,661 times

Advertisements

I was just informed that our dog park fees have gone way up to $43 for 1st dog and 28 for each additional. Now for that money we get a 1 acre fenced off area with only 1 water spigot and a few benches. If you go to one, what do you pay and what do you get in return?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 12:22 PM

574 posts, read 1,093,480 times
I've never heard of paying for a dog park. We have several in our area, we've been to four. Two are fenced in, one probably a little under an acre, with 2/3 of it reserved for large dogs, 1/3 for small dogs, with a fence in between. There's a water spigot and large bowl, but the water only works in the spring and summer. There are several benches, and a small wooden gazebo. This one is our favorite, it's also by far the closest to us.

The other fenced park is 2-3 acres, but it's very new. No grass, the only trees are saplings, and very few benches scattered about. Both of these are within sight of a playground area, for families with kids.

The other two are huge, with lakefront areas so the dogs can swim, but they are unfenced, and have no separation between small and large dogs. Our dog hates getting wet, will not swim, no matter what. So we don't go to those.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:24 PM

1,184 posts, read 1,144,918 times
within a 15 minute drive of my house is 6 (that i know of, and 1 more being put in) dog parks.

they all have at least an acre of fenced off area, some are divided into 2 or 3 seperate sections, most are well over an acre.
they all have water available.
they all have somewhere to sit. some have pavilion, some have a bunch of plastic chairs+ benches, some have tables.
couple have plastic pools and toys, balls, frisbee etc.. but that is just dog owners bringing stuff and leaving for the community.

i don't pay a dime at any of them.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:41 PM

7,105 posts, read 5,376,934 times
I plan to register my dog for the dog park tomorrow but I'm wondering if I should since she isn't spayed yet. She is only 6 months but I plan to take her early in the morning when only 2-3 dogs are there. I plan to get her spayed at around 1 since my vet recommended to let her fully develop first. Is there anything I can do to minimize attracting the males to her? Your thoughts?

Old 01-08-2013, 01:14 PM

1,209 posts, read 4,245,525 times
The dog park we use is free, fenced, 16 acres, no trees, few benches, and 1 spigot. We usually walk the perimeter and bring our own water. There is a sign that says "no dogs under 6 months". Someone told me it was because of their vaccinations have not taken full effect yet.
When we were in Vista, CA, over the holidays, we went to a city park with a tiny dog park that had 2 areas. The dogs could run from one end to the other in seconds. There was a couple of benches and a spigot. No charge
Is the $43 an annual fee? How do they enforce it?

Old 01-08-2013, 02:28 PM

4,542 posts, read 4,406,976 times
I've paid up to $75 per dog per year. The town we recently moved to is the first I've lived in with a free dog park. I didn't mind paying the money, especially for parks that had a separate area for small dogs.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:40 PM

43,012 posts, read 92,000,781 times
Never heard of paying for dog parks. Our dog parks free.

They are huge with multiple acres of fenced in areas. There are quite a few to chose from via various county parks.

There is a privately owned dog swimming pool park that has a fee. I've never been there because it's on the other side of the county.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:30 PM

4,705 posts, read 10,126,357 times
Our County dog parks are free and they are fenced, have benches and or tables to sit at and have water.Then there is the leash free beach and wilderness area above the dog beach also free. We do have a private park that was the first to allow off leash dogs years ago and it was free then they decided that they could use the fact they were the only legal leash free spot in town to their advantage and get some money to help cover the costs of the park. So for $100.00 ( now $125.00) per year you can buy a tag for your dog that allows your dog to be in the park leash free you get 230 acres of beautiful park and hiking trails for the price and being that it supports such a beautiful park since it is a private park most people seem ok with the fee. The park has bathrooms , picnic areas, ball fields, Hang gliding areas and winderness hiking areas so the upkeep of the park is not cheap.

There is a 2nd private park that use to let dogs run free as long as they were not bothering people but last year they fenced off a small area and now charge people to use it. Most I have talked to decided it was not worth it as unlike the other park you do not have the whole beautiful park to play in but rather a very small area and at limited times of the day. So people that us eto go there seem to now come to one of the county owned dog parks.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:58 PM

511 posts, read 1,978,185 times
We have 2 small parks, both free. One is fenced, with picknick tables & a water fountain for dogs and people. The other is a large scooped out field (used to be a pond) that is unfenced, no benches. Dogs must wear a collar & tags at both parks. They must have a city licence tag and a rabies tag. Both parks provide free baggies for clean up.

I only go to the unfenced one these days... Seems like the people who use the fenced park tend to have more out of control dogs and the owners just sit around the tables chatting and let the dogs do whatever they want. At the unfenced park people are always directly interacting with their dogs and keeping them under control... it's more of a place to play with your dog, not just a free doggy daycare for lazy people

Old 01-08-2013, 08:38 PM

12,387 posts, read 31,343,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
I plan to register my dog for the dog park tomorrow but I'm wondering if I should since she isn't spayed yet. She is only 6 months but I plan to take her early in the morning when only 2-3 dogs are there. I plan to get her spayed at around 1 since my vet recommended to let her fully develop first. Is there anything I can do to minimize attracting the males to her? Your thoughts?
Do you Know the signs of a Female Dog in Heat? If Not Get her Spayed! Other wise as long as you Keep her Home when she in Heat 3-4 weeks shouldnt be a problem. What breed/s is she that your vet wants to wait til she a yr? I was told that with my Papillon but wasnt because of development was cause sinsitive to annistisia in the breed. Actually getting a Female Spayed Before their 1st heat is better on the vet & dog!

Last edited by Katie1; 01-08-2013 at 08:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or