Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 09:36 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times

Advertisements

how do we stop our 2 pekingese dogs from pee'ing all over the house? they didnt use to do this but in the past yr or two, they have done it. they pee'd 4 times on the carpet this AM alone. we've praised them for pee'ing on the pee pee pad, take them out, but they insist on making our lives difficult!

what can we do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 09:42 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,384,732 times
Do they have free run of the entire home? I would confine them to a smaller, non-carpeted area, such as the kitchen or a bathroom.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:43 AM

yes, they have free reign, but we do try to close all the doors (bedrooms and bathrooms) so they dont go in there and pee.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:04 AM

1,696 posts, read 4,348,798 times
Any time you have a regression in potty manners, always rule out a medical cause first before assuming it is a training issue. No amount of potty training can help a dog with an infection!!

Once medical causation is ruled out, you will want to go back to basics with your peeing doggies. That means Potty Training 101:

- Constant supervision
- When direct supervision can not be provided - dogs are confined to a smaller area.
- Every accident must be caught IN THE ACT and interrupted as soon as the squat or leg lift begins. Dog must be taken straight to potty area to finish.
- Reward every successful potty with a treat, praise, and a party.
- Go over carpets with a blacklight to find old urine spots. SOAK these spots with Nature's Miracle or Simple Solution. Other cleaners can actually intensify the urine scent to your dog's powerful nose. That scent draws them to pee there over and over.
- Take your dogs to their potty spot after they eat or wake up (even from naps). If your dogs are playing and suddenly stop to sniff or circle - take them to their potty spot immediately. Learn their unique signals that indicate they are about to "go".

One question because it was unclear to me from your OP: were your dogs previously trained to use pads AND potty outdoors? For how many years was this successful? Again, this could be a medical issue in one, and the other is just following the scent cue to release bladder.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:09 AM

They were both potty trained for 5-6 yrs each. only within the last yr or two has this been happening. both of them pee'ing in the wrong spot, but i'm sure one pee's and then the other pee's following the scent.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:21 AM

24,404 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Get a check up with a vet to make sure they didn't catch an infection. If they are healthy, go back to the basics and crate train them again.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:50 PM

1,092 posts, read 3,436,516 times
Once that smell is in the carpet or grout, you REALLY have to get rid of it. My mom's uses pee pads, and so her dogs were mostly using them, but would also have accidents. When I took one of her dogs, I was worried about my carpet and was prepared to tether the dog to train her. But, my carpet had never had a dog and she has yet to have a accident in over 2 months, even when she doesn't want to go out in the rain. I walk her 4-8 times per day and she is very good about signaling. My place is a 1/3 the size of my mom's house though, so the dog is always within hearing distance.

Giving them a treat everytime they go outside can help as well. My mom's newest dog, is not using the pee pads or having accidents because she gets a treat everytime she goes out to go potty, but this took several weeks. She also crates her and puts her out immediately. You have to stay with the dogs and watch, otherwise they'll want a treat just for going out... Being hyper vigilant is the key. If they run and sneak a quick pee, you might want to research tethering as well.

K9's advice is excellent as always.

Good luck!

Old 01-12-2013, 02:59 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
1: vet check.
ANY sudden chnges in potty behaviour (ie a potty trained dog suddenly having "accidents" is grounds for a physical. lots of medical condition from crystals to infections to simple aging can cause potty issues.

2: Enzamatic cleaner and a black light.
buy a gallon of natures miracle and a little blacklight.
turn off the lights, close the curtains and get on the floor the blacklight nees to be no more than 2 inches above the stain for it to show but urine/body fluids will glow under a blacklight...go spot to spot and clean throughly with an enzamatic cleaner...
when health is not an issue repeated potty issues usually stem from a single accident not being throughly cleaned up. just because YOU dont see it (or thougth youd cleaned it) doesnt mean you managed to get it all out.
if theres even a minute trace of odor (and your nose woudlnt detect it) the dogs will continue to return to that spot.

3: SUPERVISE
they WERE potty trained but there not now so BACK TO SQUARE ONE.
treat them as if they were brand new puppies, no more free reighn, no more ANY reign unless you are able to 110% supervsie them the entire time, whe you cant into the crate/puppy safe room or tether them to you...
then set an alar and take them out EVERY HOUR to start out and slowly increase the time...jus tlike you are taining a brand new baby puppy. YES its annoying, but if you want to fix this issue your going to have to.

4: get rid of the pee pads...yes they were trained to thembefore but as they are getting older they may be getting confused...
pee pads shoudl be reserve for "no other option" times, like if you have to be out all day, or theres serious weather ect...and during those times they shoudl be still restricted so they only have aess to the puppy safe area and pee pad when your not able to supervise them 110%

5: accept that your dogs are NOT insisting on making your life difficult, this is not spite its not anger or malace its not punishing you or trying to make a point...
they are og and for some reason theyve learnt that its "ok" to potty in the house...
if they are having accidents in the house its because YOU are not paying enough attention.

6: if they are intact it could be territorial marking...spay/neuter usually helps in those cases.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,858 times
Please help! My 4 year old maltese is marking everywhere. There are not any medical issues. He is marking for territorial reasons. He will mark on my sons toys my furniture. I give him plenty of attention. He comes everywhere with me. I am at my breaking point.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:18 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
Castrate him... Clean well & Watch & correct him all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs