Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2013, 10:58 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times

Advertisements

Last spring, I posted about an older neighbor lady and how she had adopted a senior (7 year old) Brittany. The dog barks almost continuously when outside in the fenced yard. The lady was unable to walk the dog so the dog started getting out and running. I saw the dog advertised on a local radio station where we used to live. It is going to be difficult to impossible to place the dog since the area is puppy mill country anyway. At 58 years old, I am doing a lot of soul searching about whether I will get another dog when the two seniors pass on. Just like with having a kid, a dog is a BIG responsibility if you are going to do it "right".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 11:05 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
I know some rescues won't adopt to senior citizens. Sad this woman did not realize she should have gotten a cat instead of a dog.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:09 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,424,313 times
You can always adopt truly senior dogs, who are harder to place and who don't need the activity that a younger dog does.
Another choice is to foster dogs. That way you aren't taking on a decade-or-so-long responsibility. There's always a great need for foster homes. In doing so, you can save many lives!

Old 01-14-2013, 12:46 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,385,615 times
I don't think seven is a real senior dog. My current geriatric gang is 12-?? and at least three are pretty active.
I wonder if the woman is letting the dog out to run. Could she take the dog back to the rescue? Most rescues will do that, I think.
For a Brittany, seven (to me) is the peak of adult life, not senior/slow. She should get a truly old dog and be able to let the dog out in the fenced area for necessities.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:36 PM

30,522 posts, read 16,217,604 times
agree with brightdoglover.

7 isn't a senior dog, and if she can't walk the dog whyever would she get it!

That aside, is there a Brittany rescue who will take it? Could she pay a local school kid (maybe one who wants a dog and can't for some reason) to walk it and/or play with it?

It's a sad situation. Hoping for the best.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:06 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
Her daughter worked at a vet office in another state and chose this dog for her mother who lost her senior "silver ghost", I can't spell the breed name on that one. The Brittany arrived extremely overweight even after residing with the woman's daughter for a couple of months. The dog was extremely fearful of everything. She would bark at myself and my two dogs that were more than a block away in the morning when she caught sight of us and I always tried to hurry since it was before 6:00 am. She would let the dog out at night or early morning and it just barked. I did pity the neighbors and was surprised it went on as long as it did. A friend had told me that the dog had started getting out and running in the field behind their house. I really think maybe the dog was never a house dog to begin with which would present an extra challenge. We had neighbors years ago that had a Brittany that was yard trained and rarely barked. Ah, I thought, "the perfect dog". Well, another neighbor got one and it was a whole different story. I think someone sees a breed and doesn't realize how vastly dogs differ. For adoption purposes here, with so many young dogs available, 7 years old is a senior. I'll update if my friend there learns how this works out and she is rather a busy body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs