Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 08:29 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,375,680 times

Advertisements

Long list covering more than 2 decades.

Clancy - pure bred golden retriever - bought as a pup from a BYB before I knew better 10/90 - 2/03

Solly - black lab mix - given to me by a friend who rescued mom and 6 pups dumped by the side of the road. Maybe five weeks old when I got him. He was my heat dog extraordinaire. 12/92 - 6/06

Nikki - irish setter mix about 4 months old when a neighbor gave him to me. 12/94 - 12/08

Calypso - pure bred chocolate lab - 6 weeks old when she was given to me by my vet who had gotten her from the breeder. She was very sickly and brought to the vet to be PTS. 5/04 - current

Sam - great pyr/golden retriever mix - about 9 or 10 years old when I adopted him from the Oakland, CA shelter. We only had a year together but he liked being a country dog when we moved to VA. 09/05 - 09/06

Bay - black lab mix - 10 years old when I got him via a post on the Petfinder forums. 92 pounds when I got him, 48 when he finally lost all the excess weight he was lugging around. 05/06 - 03/09

Monty - black lab - about 8 or 9 years old when I got him from someone who no longer wanted him. 07/06 - 06/09.

Orion - black lab - about 7 or 8 years old when I adopted him from a high kill shelter near here. 07/06 - 04/08

Sandy - black lab/flat coated retriever mix - 10 years old when I took her in. She'd been dumped on the Blue Ridge parkway with a not on her collar saying "I'm a very good dog. I'm ten years old and have all my shots. I need a new family to love me." We had 17 months together but I'd have to look up the dates.

Frannie - black lab - probably 7 or 8 when I got her. Another stray that was found by a member of the humane society who did not want to turn her over to the pound. Notices posted and pound notified but no one ever came looking for her. 08/10 - current

Toby - black lab/neufie mix - 10 or more years old when I got him from the local pound. Sadly we only had 7 months together. 08/11 - 03/12

Zach - big black lab - turned 12 just a couple of days after I got him from a family that could no longer keep him due to job loss, foreclosure, divorce. He looks a lot like Toby did and sometimes get called by that name. 08/12 - current

Dozens of foster dogs of various ages, breeds, sizes, colors, etc. Current ones are Amelia, a treeing walker hound who is probably 2 years old and Angelique, a feist who is cute as a button and likely 8 or 9 months old. Two foster horses, one who lived out her last couple of years with me and one who got adopted and is living the good life.

Oh yeah, some cats too but since this is in the dogs sub-forum we won't mention them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 05:16 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Being in the right place at the right time. After being turned down by a local rescue for the adoption of a male black Lab, I was visiting friends in the Mojave Desert. We went to this ramshackle house in the middle of nowhere to deliver some food from my friend's church and the man there saw me making a big deal over Nanners. He said "You want her? Take her." So I did. And now she lives a life of indulged luxury lo these 5 years hence. She went from a dug-out burrow in the dirt, exposed to scorching sun, rain, snow, ice and wind, to this:

Old 01-17-2013, 08:05 AM

811 posts, read 1,556,528 times
My older boy is from the RSPCA in the UK and our younger one from a rescue. Our cat was a stray. All our animals over the years have been mainly strays with a couple or so rescues. We did have one as a gift and it was because she was the runt of the litter. They have all been wonderful without exception.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:24 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Bear (now gone) and Angel were from BYB......I loved them but, never again will I buy from a BYB. (labs)

Now the hounds.......

Rip and Ape come from one of the foremost hound breeders in the country.

Hubby came home with Bo........neither one is talking yet.......I have yet to get those "papers".

Angie......came from a good trainer......but, not a proven breeder......we'll see.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:24 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,634,102 times
I LOVE these stories!!! Keep them coming! (Please!!!)

Old 01-17-2013, 08:36 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times
Looking at the Pets column on craigslist I saw an ad "purebreed Boston Terier, we are moving. Good dog, 5 years old. First one who gets here can have him." I got in the car and got him simply to save him. They'd had had him since he was 8 weeks old. They had only taken him to the vet during his first 2 years of life and he was just about 5 weeks shy of his 6 th birthday. They were not moving. They were leaving for vacation. Also they worked and he was having accidents in the house ever since their other dog had died of old age and he was alone all day. I had him neutered, microchipped, and he had mast cell tumors I had removed (clean margins) got him vaccinated and prepared to find him a proper home. My adult son adopted him and then he ran away within 2 days. I couldn't stop crying or searching. He was found 21 days later. His vetting had cost me about $600 when I rescued him, my son spent $800 having posters printed, paying rewards, etc. ....my free Craigslist dog was found! Again, I couldn't stop crying. He was home with me. I adore him. He adores me. Leo is over 9 now and going strong.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:37 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Rough collie - local breeder
Smooth collie - had to go all the way to Georgia to find one!

My first dog (when I was a kid and lived overseas) was a rough collie from a Danish breeder.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:53 PM

106 posts, read 476,904 times
Our first dog, Oreo, is our "boonie" dog we got from the animal shelter in Guam at six weeks old, covered with ring worms...I can still smell the rotten egg smell of the sulphur baths I had to give him to treat it. Zeytin, our Pekingnese we got from a Turkish family whom we were close friends with while we lived in Turkey. We brought both of them back to the states and we could not imagine life without their antics!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	106264

Old 01-18-2013, 03:34 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,240,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Maine and its kind hearted citizens are to be congratulated......there are no kill shelters in the state of Maine and they continue to bring in dogs from the south and mid west to forever homes in Maine. Lets hear it for Maine.....the way life should be (for people and dogs)

Our latest, Gemmie, Came from a shelter in South Carolina. She doesn't care too much for the snow.
Attached Thumbnails
How did you get your furbaby?-100_0810.jpg  

Old 01-18-2013, 04:40 AM

16,667 posts, read 17,430,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Our latest, Gemmie, Came from a shelter in South Carolina. She doesn't care too much for the snow.

The opposite here.

Ours keeps wanting to go out and play snowballs!

Taken this morning;

Our choccy labrador has some relations in the area and we got her after having seen her cousin. She's just turned 14.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs