U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 01:47 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,028,518 times

Advertisements

Do you have or have you ever had a dog with skin tags?

Diesel my fur-baby, has had three. One on his belly just below the hair line on his belly, went from it's normal color to dark red/black and fell off. He has another one on his sheath (for the tender eyes/ears) of his "winky."

This one I have kept my eye on every since I got him. It stayed pink and the same size until just a few days ago. I noticed blood and had him lay down and roll to his side, this skin tag had more than doubled (probably tripled in size). It was RED, HOT and very angry looking and yes, it was bleeding.

I cleaned him up and put neosporen on it. It really seemed to be bothering him (duh) so I gave him two baby aspirins, for the pain.

The next morning, I called the vet and made an appointment for that day. He said what we look for is 1. Rapid change in size, 2. If it bleeds or 3. If it changes color. Well the night before when I was cleaning him, that thing did not look like a skin tag, it was swollen and looked like it needed to be lanced.

The third one, is on his right upper eye-lid. That one has not grown but since we are having the other one removed, we want to get this one done, too. ((The doc had told us on a previous visit if it gets bigger, we need to think about removing it so it does not scratch his eye.)) If he's going under the knife, I want to get both done.

We have an appointment today ((Friday)) to get this removed. I think the hardest part will be leaving him at the vets office. See, he's a mama's boy. You know the kind, follows you around, spends all of his time with you. Hogs the bed and must touch you while doing it! (HA!) ((Yeah, so I dote on him, too.)) He's my fur-baby. What can I say?

So, have you seen this on one of your dog(s)? If so, what have you done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 04:58 AM

14,213 posts, read 14,097,764 times
Are we talking about ticks here?

If we are then I remove them with a curved pair of tweezers.

The key is to get the tick out cleanly.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:08 AM

36,474 posts, read 43,582,608 times
I think OP knows the difference between a tick and a skin abnormality!

My two Bichons have had what I call Old Dog Bumps. Mostly around the neck area but really all over. When I took Paul to vet about them I was told they were warts. Sometimes Lucy messes with hers and they get red and sometimes stinky with black stuff around them. I don't think they are skin tags but she does have what I was tols is a sty on her lower eyelid. Vet said we could start removing the bumps but there are so many and I think they are harmless.

Do all old dogs get these bumps or just white dogs?

Old 01-18-2013, 05:56 AM

14,213 posts, read 14,097,764 times
Okay- wasn't sure what was meant.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:52 AM

1,253 posts, read 3,028,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I think OP knows the difference between a tick and a skin abnormality!

My two Bichons have had what I call Old Dog Bumps. Mostly around the neck area but really all over. When I took Paul to vet about them I was told they were warts. Sometimes Lucy messes with hers and they get red and sometimes stinky with black stuff around them. I don't think they are skin tags but she does have what I was tols is a sty on her lower eyelid. Vet said we could start removing the bumps but there are so many and I think they are harmless.

Do all old dogs get these bumps or just white dogs?
Correct, they are skin tags like humans have...no ticks.

As for older dogs with lump or bumps, my two senior females had lumps before passing. The vet said they were most likely fatty tumors (just by their feel). If they grow fast or get larger quickly, then I would discuss it with my vet. My females lumps/bumps did not get larger than half dollars and the vet wasn't worried so we did not have them removed.

Would like too add one more thing. The pain meds Diesel will have will NOT be Remadyl nor Carprophen. These have been (in my experience) can have deadly consequences. Both of my seniors females died because of Remadyl (Happy) and Carprophen (Tara). Although Diesel is not considered a senior, I am not taking chances now or in the future. (Carprophen is generic Remadyl.) They will use Tramodol.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:59 AM

3,339 posts, read 7,547,229 times
Our 13-year old BC mix, Hallie, had a skin tag on an upper eyelid and the vet advised to leave it alone unless it began to bother her, which it didn't. We had it removed when she went in for a teeth cleaning, and I doubt I would have hasd her teeth cleaned if I didn't want that thing on her eye removed. So she came out of anesthesia with it gone, with clean teeth -- and with pneumonia and a newly discovered mass on her spleen. She died a week later. I'm not saying this to frighten you, but as a caution. If your dog is older, always, always, always get a pre-surgery exam with X-rays. Had we known about the mass on her spleen, which we never got biopsied after she died, we would never have put her under anesthesia for a simple dental and skin tag removal. We would have scheduled her for an emergency splenectomy instead. Maybe she would have lived, maybe not, but I don't think she would have spent a week in ICU either.

Skin tags are harmless and easily removed if they're in a place where they can simply be snipped off (by a vet). An eyelid skin tag would require anesthesia. By the way, skin tags commonly change color, become hard and fall off. I had one that did that. It had been on my arm for at least 20 years, and it decided to ripen and fall off when I was overseas. I was terrified for a couple days, and then poof -- it was gone, never to return. I sure wouldn't worry about a common skin tag being cancerous.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Okay- wasn't sure what was meant.
Jezer. now I see you are in UK and sometimes even in English there can be language confusion. Perhaps you are still young because skin tags seem to come with age. they are really little flaps or pieces of skin which show up around places of friction like around the neck, underarms and in women under heavy breasts. Some folks just cut them off, some folks go to the doctor for freezing them off and there are commercial products as well as a zillion home remedies. I don't know anybody over 50 who doesn't have them.

Living in the South, I see my fair share of ticks on untreated dogs and even on myself and family members. I have to check my kids several times a day when they play outside. there is a monthly topical preventative for fleas and ticks most dog owners use but no such thing for people!

Old 01-18-2013, 07:08 AM

Tina, how horrible to have gone through that. My condolences.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:01 AM

4,706 posts, read 10,130,741 times
Dash tended to develop " skin tags: he had 3 different ones removed from his eye lids always when he was being put under for something else. Then he had a couple on his legs and when one suddenly grew fast it was taken off as were the others since that one was being taken off and they all were different types of growths none of them was a cancer and he just went on to grow more!

Old 01-18-2013, 11:05 AM

1,893 posts, read 3,513,481 times
My oldest lab (10) Bailey has a couple of skin tags. Our vet said we could have them removed but it would require anesthesia and I don't feel comfortable putting him under at his age. They don't bother him other than I think the other 4 make fun of him from time to time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or