U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2009, 02:55 PM

5,371 posts, read 9,859,230 times

Advertisements

I think my dog would watch me being attacked with mild interest, but would be greatly concerned if I were injured and couldn't make it to his food bin to feed him.

He's a whippet-mix, he's elegant, he's stubborn and he's definitely not a deterrent to anyone...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 03:05 PM

1,930 posts, read 9,470,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
I wish I could say my chihuahuas would be smart enough to hide if anyone were attacking me, but they think they can take anyone and anything on...scares me to think what could happen in a real-life situation, but my instinct would definitely be to hide and protect my babies if at all possible and not even PUT them in that position, EVER! My 2 cats have a better chance at kicking some a**, but again I would not want to find out! I would lay down my life for any of them, in a heartbeat.
I agree with you on that! My first instinct would be to protect Brooklyn!

Old 01-09-2009, 03:56 PM

5,356 posts, read 16,342,402 times
We had a couple of German Shepherds that I think would have protected the family.

When i went back to school, we were a couple of blocks off a main road known for drug deals. Tasha, our first GSD, was responsible for us not being broken into while we lived there, since we had neighbors on both sides who were. She would play a game by sitting on a second floor deck and when someone was walking up the sidewalk, she'd run down to the fence corner and be hidden by the bushes. When the person got to the corner, she'd jump up and bark. People would cross the street before getting to our house and then cross back once past.

Jake, our second GSD, would likely also protect the family. He never liked seeing the kids wrestling, so he would always get in between them to stop it. On hikes, he would run from the front to the back of the trail, trying to keep us together. On one hiking camp out, there were brown bears in the area. On the hike out, he was on alert the whole time. He could smell them, but we never saw a bear. I have no doubt he would have defended us.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:37 PM

315 posts, read 979,561 times
If you really want a dog for personal or family protection, it is sometimes a case of be careful what you ask for. Ask anyone who has experience with Filas ( Brazilian Mastiff). They are absolute clowns and the best family dogs you could ask for, but are absolute terrors to anyone they do not recognize as members of their immediate family. It's a trait known as ojeriza, or "hatred of strangers". I dearly love my 200 pound couch-monster, but he absolutely must be penned and chained before strangers come to the house.
It did make life interesting this past election season. Apparently candidates for local office really didnt care if they had my vote or not.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:53 AM

11,039 posts, read 6,195,856 times
Yes, a thousand times over. Many dogs can be very protective, especially of the children in the family. We had a dog when we were kids and this neighbor brat came at my little brother to hit him with a metal pole. Our GSD, ran at him and pinned him by the shorts. No major bite mark and yeah, I think that kid was terrified but serves him right. This kid was truly the bully brat of the neighborhood.
GSD's are also loving, trusted members of families and police forces. If that weren't the case, do you really think the police would sign them on to work with them?

Sometimes one doesn't always need the dog to attack, just alerting the family to a possible danger is truly remarkable and helpful.

Yesterday, our loving pooch let out a small bark and growl several minutes before the doorbell rang. Oh, it was one of those "spread the religious word" types. Gave us a couple minutes to grab the phone and say we were busy

Old 07-10-2009, 10:41 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,146,576 times
Ha! No.

Chase might get upset, but a senior pug isn't likely to do much damage even if he wanted to. Ellie my Aussie mix sounds scary. She makes all kinds of fierce noises when someone she doesn't trust approaches us. Then she jumps behind my legs to hide.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:58 AM

3,593 posts, read 10,679,163 times
I have absolute confidence that any one of my dogs would protect me. As a pack, I actually know it! A few years ago, we had an intruder break into our house at around 1:00. (Yes we were in bed asleep). From the sounds that woke us up and the blood that was found on the carpet, one (or all) of my fur-kids took great offense at the intrusion. They never found the intruder so not sure what exactly the dogs did to him but he was bleeding when he left. Needless to say that DH has no worries about leaving me alone with our fur-kids. We also have a saying here..... "If the dogs don't get 'em, the 12 gauge will"

Old 07-10-2009, 11:06 AM

282 posts, read 1,071,812 times
My dog...a jack russell named Zoe, would make lots of noise so that I would know there was someone coming, and then she would wag her little butt and put her ears back and promptly jump on and give kisses to whoever was there!!!

Unless it was a squirrel, of course, that would be a whole different story and she would promptly break its neck!!!!

Old 07-10-2009, 11:20 AM

158 posts, read 439,102 times
Well ive got a staffordhsire bull terrier and i reckon if it came down to it she would maul an attacker. She doesnt like strangers at all.. Her bark is terrifying!! I have no clue how she got the bark she has! Literally she saw my aunties dog (an english bull dog) barking at the door one day and she followed suit. Now, even if its the post man, she goes crazy and shows teeth! Shes very protective of me when we go walking.
One example was when we were walking up a hill near where we live and a guy was walking on his own and she has never ever barked at any stranger wilst we walk but this time she saw him and instantly hair went up on the back of neck -she put on her big stance and hurtled towards him barking on teeth out. He quickly turned and run and she stopped running when he was far enough away. I think if this guy didnt run and kept coming forward towards me, I have no doubt in my mind, she would of given him what for!
Bakes has never done that ever since, only that one time and I think it must of been for good reason. I read later on that week about a rapist who was targeting woman on that hill as its so secluded in places from other people. So mayby that was the guy? Either way, im glad Baker is so coragous!
I could of been a victom!

Old 07-10-2009, 11:37 AM

13,820 posts, read 18,779,327 times
well I do believe the little ones would alrert the big dogs that something is up . Yes btwn me and my cousin we have four dogs in this house two big , two little . One great pyrneese and german sheppard mix , he dont look like much but mess with his house and he will take you out . One beagle who will bite when cornered and two little ankle biters . Yep no doubt you entered the wrong house , and btw the dog can make it to the door in two seconds flat can you ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or