U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2009, 08:52 PM

1,628 posts, read 3,163,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenfatt View Post
How do you know that having a protection dog indicates fear and/or aggression?
The poster you refer to is actually QUITE well-informed, actually.

But I have to agree - a dog that will protect its owner under truly threatening circumstances, and a dog that is fearful/aggressive, are not the same thing at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
The poster you refer to is actually QUITE well-informed, actually.
Wow, I said "actually" twice. I'm a "Dee Dee Dee"

Old 07-12-2009, 04:25 AM

7,492 posts, read 6,477,559 times
Exclamation My oh my -- did I hit a nerve?

Quote:
How do you know that having a protection dog indicates fear and/or aggression? Do you have experience with large guard type dogs? Is your background in Human Psychology or Ethology? I have both.
Because only people that ARE afraid feel a need to be aggressive, or a need for protection, which, by the way might be your situation -- based on your own defensiveness. Doctor, heal thyself.

Quote:
Please don't make blanket statements about things that I suspect you know only by supposition and watching episodes of Animal Planet. That is where BSL comes from-otherwise well-meaning people who are unaware of the depth of their ignorance, yet seem insistent on announcing it.
Ironic, isn't it, that you accuse me of making a blanket statement, and then you make two, yourself.

To close, I don't watch television, so I've no idea what might be presented about animals there. I am experienced in being attacked, and know the particulars of my attackers.

I also have many years of observing fearful, aggressive people -- maybe doing so, now, in fact.

I hope you are not supposing things in the "depth of your ignorance."

Old 07-12-2009, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookinformayberry View Post
because only people that are afraid feel a need to be aggressive, or a need for protection, which, by the way might be your situation -- based on your own defensiveness. Doctor, heal thyself.
aw yeah

Old 07-12-2009, 06:46 AM

32,427 posts, read 17,766,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I suppose my little baby 100 pounds GSD looks kind of tough but I don't know he actually seems like he needs protecting I might need to get a Yorkie for protection.
Funny, we have a 100 # GSD, and a yorkie/mix. The yorkie is the best watch dog as far as barking and letting us know when someone is around. (We live in a rural area.) I think our GSD is primarily a visual deterrent.

I like the GSD out in the yard. She is a sweetie and although she is not trained to attack or defend, I believe she is a good deterrent against the idiot meth heads who look for an easy target to burglarize.

Like someone mentioned, a really determined burglar would know how to get around her or through her, but even just being there would cause them to have to deal with her.

We have had a problem with feral hogs and once a huge hog was in our yard. I picked up a rock and threw it at the hog and it hit him square on the nose. He turned to face me, and like a flash both my German Shepherds ran to either side of me and started growling.

The hog thought about it and walked off.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:15 AM

106 posts, read 375,884 times
Forever and a day ago I had a great dog, with all respect to my motley crew now. I was at work one day when the police called me. They said someone was in my house screaming for help and they needed to know who. Ha ha, I said! There's no one supposed to be in the house. So, I went and let them in and my dog had this guy in the corner and everytime he moved to try and leave, he was bit again. As long as he stood there and didn't move, he wasn't bit. No charges filed against me or my dog. Different dog, few years later, one evening, I was taken home from a date. He asked to come inside to use the phone. No problem, I mean, I just spent the evening with him, right? He sits down and then promptly informs me that "he's not ready to leave." Oh, he$$, I'm thinking. My dog, quietly is sitting next me, not really acting herself, but not acting aggressive either. She was a dobe/shep cross. He reaches to give her a pet and talk to her, and she let out the oddest growl I'd ever heard, even to this day. It scared ME. His hand stopped in midmotion and he looked at me. I just told him that perhaps it would be a good idea if he moved his hand back some, nice and slow, and left. He said, why, do you think she'll bite me? I said, I didn't care so much if she bit him, but the way she was acting it was up in the air as to whether or not she would actually STOP biting him when I asked her to. He got real pale. He left. And I knew from that point on, no matter what she acted like in her "regular" life, if it came down to someone trying to hurt ME, they were screwed. I truly think that out of my 11 that I have now, I really only have one that would be protective. Of course, Percival is 110 pounds at 8 months, so I am not so sure that most people would be so stupid as to begin to try, but if they do, I think that 11 dogs and 2 parrots (large) sqawking and barking (it's loud!), and probably even my cat mewling at being disturbed, would be enough to make them think twice. I don't 'train' my dogs to be watchdogs. They're just my dogs.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:55 AM

3,064 posts, read 5,602,241 times
My neighbor's dog barks at passersby. It's really loud and really annoying. (GS #120). Yesterday he was outside and explained to the family getting barked at that the dog "Is just protecting the kids (who were playing in the fenced yard)."

There is no threat, so I consider this a nuisance. There has never been an attack or burglary attempt on the neighbor or his house. I'm not sure what he thinks the dog is doing, but he's not protecting anything, since there is no threat. I'd be more understanding if I lived in a bad neighborhood, but I don't.

If you want a burglar alarm, buy one.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:05 AM

3,593 posts, read 10,685,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I also have many years of observing fearful, aggressive people -- maybe doing so, now, in fact.

I hope you are not supposing things in the "depth of your ignorance."
I again hope I'm misunderstanding you. I have 2 Chesapeake Bay Retrievers and have worked for over 12 years with Chessie Rescue. Although they tend to be a dominant breed and can be very protective, these are NOT the reasons I care for and champion them. I could go on for pages about their nobleness, keen intelligence, playfulness, incredible abilities....but I won't bore you with the details. (Everyone thinks they have the perfect dog and I'm no exception) I do however strongly disagree with your hypothesis that "She has a breed of dog that can be aggressive - therefore she is aggressive" I can't help but think that a better approach would be to ask the question "What is it that you like and admire about this breed?" I bet that by an overwhelming margin you would find that aggression, if even mentioned, would not be a top 100 trait with any of us. My personal preference is for a dog that is by my side - not on my lap. A dog that would protect me from harm just as I would protect them. A friend rather than a dependant. Just because this is my preference doesn't mean I'm a weekend Rambo or hiding in a closet quaking in fear. Your theory is way to generalized and frankly a bit offensive.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:07 AM

133 posts, read 478,033 times
What I notice is that when I am alone, without my husband, my 2 GSDs behave differently. For instance, when the 4 of us walk together at night, the dogs body language is very relaxed and they are intent on sniffing around, etc. When I walk them alone at night without hubby, however, it amazes me how they seem to go on "high alert", and they do not like anyone to seem to approach me. For instance, if they see a walker coming toward us from a distance on the walking trail, they become extremely attentive and appear to be assessing the situation ! If a stranger pulls up alongside me in a car, same, vigilant response. These same dogs are perfectly ok toward our friends, and people that we welome in to our home.
Oh, another thing, my male will NEVER allow me to answer the doorbell without him. He is big and silent, nerves of steel, no barking, but he insists on standing beside me when I open the front door, Lol. He does seem pretty ominous ! We never trained any of this behavior, we just made him part of our family when he was really young, and he is very bonded with us. He hates rough play, too, just like some of the previous poster's dogs. he interprets it as aggression and springs up instantly to put an end to it. To the outside world, it looks like I have a bodyguard ( he goes everywhere in the car with me, ATMs, everywhere ). But to the family he is a gentle giant, a real cuddly baby, all 130+ lbs of him.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:12 AM

4,551 posts, read 10,208,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
My neighbor's dog barks at passersby. It's really loud and really annoying. (GS #120). Yesterday he was outside and explained to the family getting barked at that the dog "Is just protecting the kids (who were playing in the fenced yard)."

There is no threat, so I consider this a nuisance. There has never been an attack or burglary attempt on the neighbor or his house. I'm not sure what he thinks the dog is doing, but he's not protecting anything, since there is no threat. I'd be more understanding if I lived in a bad neighborhood, but I don't.

If you want a burglar alarm, buy one.
What a super fun story!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or