Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 07:10 PM

857 posts, read 975,696 times

Advertisements

Yes, they will protect me. I have two bandogs, male and female. The female is fixed and very aggressive towards strangers. Must be locked away when people come over. Male is still young and not neutered yet, and much more stable in temperment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 11:09 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,424,107 times
My friend has a bandog, not sure what the temp is like but I know he does work him in protection. Looks good judging from the pictures.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:13 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,640,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I think my dog would watch me being attacked with mild interest, but would be greatly concerned if I were injured and couldn't make it to his food bin to feed him.

He's a whippet-mix, he's elegant, he's stubborn and he's definitely not a deterrent to anyone...

That sounds like my Australian Lattle Dog - she'd be real interested as to why I was screaming and begging for help but she would make sure she was out of harm's way.

My border collie doesn't like males, so he would growl menancingly but I have no idea if he would actually bite. I'm afraid that one good kick from an intruder would send him running as well.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:19 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
Yes, my weimaraner has protected me with his body between me and danger twice. Danger took a look at those teeth and ran.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:28 AM

1,306 posts, read 3,120,658 times
Honestly, I'm not sure. My dog barks like nuts at the door when people knock on it or ring the doorbell, but switches to "Hello. My name is Dug. I have just met you and I love you!" mode when I open the door and greet folks. He's very people friendly. However, I have a feeling he'd remain aggressive if those people had tried to break in while I wasn't there; guarding is in his breed's nature.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:42 AM

757 posts, read 1,328,799 times
I believe that my male would protect me. When somebody is in the house that he does not know, he will follow me around the house and sit in between me and the other person.

When I would get into an argument with one boyfriend that I had, my dog would go and hide. I think he could tell I was not scared, just upset. But one night somebody I had just met came into my house, he had a crow bar in his hand. I was scared and my dog got up onto the couch right beside me and tried to get in between us, he got right in that guys face and growled. I told the guy he better leave or my dog was going to bite him. I could tell he would have.
Another time, my sister had a friend come to pick her up. My dog was down in the lower yard, he heard the gate and came running up to where we were barking. The guy did not know my dog and got scared, he picked up my sisters over night bag, in doing so, he leaned toward me. The dog was pretty close by this time and the guy swung the bag and the dog bit his hand.
My dog has never been trained to protect and I always worry that something would happen to him so I hope he never has to protect me and risk being hurt. But I think he can sense when I am afraid and he puts himself right between me and danger.

But I also know, he has learned he can intimidate people and I think he likes to do that too.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:42 AM

1,830 posts, read 6,155,125 times
My last lab/shepard mix I believe would have protected me. She proved she could sense whom to trust and whom not to. Our current lab mix (mostly lab with probably hound mixed in a maybe a little pit bull) I would not trust to protect me. Hobbs was adopted from a shelter, underweight and fearful of men. He never barks at people who come to the door probably because his previous owners had probably beaten him every time he barked. His hearing is fine and he can bark but he's only barked (outside of dreaming) twice in the past 2 years--once to alert me to a rattlesnake and once to alert me to a badger. Would he alert me to a stranger approaching? Not certain. When he sees a stranger approaching, Hobbs is alert and cautious but doesn't bark to tell me when he first sees the person as I wish he would.

I am reminded of that old joke about the robber who enters a home with a noisy parrot who squawked, "Jesus is watching you". The robber asks "who said that"? The parrrot answerd "Moses". The robber asks "Who would name their parrot Moses"? To which the bird replies "The same people who named their rottweiler "Jesus"!

Old 10-30-2012, 09:47 AM

48,131 posts, read 22,004,457 times
My two girls are not watch dogs. They would let a stranger into the house and wag their tails while they carried out what ever they wanted. They also are super non-aggressive dogs....I think the little three legged beagle girl would run and hide if there were a display of violence. The older, larger terrier might get into the fray if someone was hurting me....but more likely she would just be confused and frightened.

I dont expect them to be guard dogs or my protection.....that isnt why I love them so.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:08 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,405,738 times
Of the dogs we have now - The two Chessies would protect me without question. I think our Lab Kohla would too.

Sammie.....our little shy hound...would be packing her bags and headed south at the first hint of trouble!

Old 10-31-2012, 01:51 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Oh no doubt, he would not only protect us, Dylan that is, he would chase the people down. Just wrote about him in another post.

He is all muscle and stern and strong in a pom body, Actually all 22 pounds of him, not fat not big, but muscle bound, and strong. He thinks he is a german shepard or a rott in his body.

He is tough not afraid of big dogs, or anything for that matter, sometimes worries me.
He is extremely protective of all in the household. He lets people know he is watching their every move.

I have no doubt, that if someone broke in the home, he would bite and attack. I know.

But our baby foxy we lost last year in Dec, anyone would be able to come in, he had a mellow personality, once in, and you pet him, that would be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs