Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 10:50 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,170,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddieXRuxpin View Post
None of my dogs would be suitable for a guard dog, but when push comes to shove they will do anything to save their humans.

Mahalo our Corgi/Malamute was just attacked two days ago by an off leash dog. She didn't go after the other dog, but stood her ground when it came to my sister. I think all of my dogs would do the same. Although Teddie has a lot of bite for his size and I hate to say, but when it comes to me family isn't even aloud to mess with me
That's horrible that she got attacked! Is she okay? I know how that is! A while back when my husband and our male APBT, Brooklyn, were walking up our driveway coming home from a walk one of our neighbors huge Lab/ Shepherd mixes ran into our yard and attacked Brooklyn! Our neighbors have a sweet heart APBT and they have two insanely aggressive Lab/ Shepherd mixes. And the morons never leash their dogs! This dog way out weighed Brooklyn too! I mean Brooklyn's not a big dog, he's an average sized APBT. He's a medium breed, only 48 pounds, and the other dog is about 80 pounds, the smaller of the two Lab/ Shepherd mixes. Brooklyn didn't really fight back, but he did make sure the other dog stayed away from my husband and he did hold his own. It took my husband and the other dogs owner a couple tries to get this dog off of Brooklyn! When all was said and done, our so-called "dangerous" breed was the only one that was hurt at all. It wasn't bad, but he had some holes in his head where the dog had clamped onto my little man's head! And the "family" breed dog didn't have a scratch on him! Anyway, I'm getting way off topic! lol! Sorry, but I do know what that is like. I can't stand people that don't control their dogs! People like that shouldn't own dogs. I also thought that is was kind of funny that the so-called "dangerous" breed got his butt kicked by a "family" breed! Well, it wasn't funny at all, my baby got hurt , but a lot of people would just assume that everything would have been the other way around, you know?

Like you said, none of our dogs would really make good guard dogs. People tend to assume that APBTs are guard dogs, but that couldn't be farther from the truth! lol! They are known to do whatever it takes to protect their owners if it comes down to it though!

American Pit Bull Terrier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Taken From Text:

Quote:
When treated well, APBTs typically have sunny personalities. They are very sweet, curious, intelligent, and clownish. They are noted for their outgoing, affectionate, eager-to-please disposition and their fondness for people. They adore attention, often relishing the company of humans and are notorious for their loyalty to their masters, even giving their lives for them.... APBTs were never bred for human aggression or guarding behavior; generally they only will attack if they perceive an immediate threat to their masters or families rather than seeing every person as an intruder upon their territory. They were originally bred against human aggression because in the pit fighting days the handlers had to be able to handle their dogs as well as treat their wounds, and if necessary, quickly pull the dog out of a fight for various reasons. Any dog that did show the slightest sign of human aggression in that day was 'culled', and therefore, not allowed to carry on its bloodline. For that reason stable examples of the breed are generally not suitable as guard dogs. It is important that APBTs who display any sign of human aggression are not bred, in order to preserve the stable and friendly nature of the breed, and equally important that man aggressive dogs are never kept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 11:02 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,017,781 times
My dog would protect me with his life. He always does his best to be between me and any stranger. I didn't really figure this out but his trainer did. They did the instinct test for (I know I'm spelling this wrong) schutzhunde with Spot and he was unbelievable. The guy came up with the suit and the barbel thing and Spot bit hard and held on tight. He wouldn't let go.

For Spot's protection and mine, he is being trained. Not because I want him to attack but because I have to be able to call him back.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:19 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,170,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
My dog would protect me with his life. He always does his best to be between me and any stranger. I didn't really figure this out but his trainer did. They did the instinct test for (I know I'm spelling this wrong) schutzhunde with Spot and he was unbelievable. The guy came up with the suit and the barbel thing and Spot bit hard and held on tight. He wouldn't let go.

For Spot's protection and mine, he is being trained. Not because I want him to attack but because I have to be able to call him back.
Schutzhund or you can just say VPG. Recently the Germans changed the name of "schutzhund" to "VPG". It's definitely easier to spell! lol!

Old 10-20-2007, 12:21 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,440,440 times
Question Guard Dog or Dog Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
A while back when my husband and our male APBT, Brooklyn, were walking up our driveway coming home from a walk one of our neighbors huge Lab/ Shepherd mixes ran into our yard and attacked Brooklyn! Our neighbors have a sweet heart APBT and they have two insanely aggressive Lab/ Shepherd mixes. And the morons never leash their dogs! This dog way out weighed Brooklyn too! I mean Brooklyn's not a big dog, he's an average sized APBT. He's a medium breed, only 48 pounds, and the other dog is about 80 pounds, the smaller of the two Lab/ Shepherd mixes. Brooklyn didn't really fight back, but he did make sure the other dog stayed away from my husband and he did hold his own. It took my husband and the other dogs owner a couple tries to get this dog off of Brooklyn! When all was said and done, our so-called "dangerous" breed was the only one that was hurt at all. It wasn't bad, but he had some holes in his head where the dog had clamped onto my little man's head! And the "family" breed dog didn't have a scratch on him! Anyway, I'm getting way off topic! lol! Sorry, but I do know what that is like. I can't stand people that don't control their dogs! People like that shouldn't own dogs.
I can so relate to that story! A neighbor of mine has a Siberian husky/malamute mix that weighs an easy 100+ pounds. He regularly walks his dog past my property, which isn't a problem since my 45 pound Alaskan husky/golden lab mix is usually in the house at the time. However, a couple days ago I was outside with Blizzard playing her favorite game of fetch and her comes my neighbors beast, unto my property, chasing MY dog!

Blizzard reached me first, and I ended up being HER guardian. I put myself between her and my neighbor's dog, and as he approached I grabbed him by the scruf of his neck and threw him back a few feet before he could bite my dog. This surprised the Siberian husky/malamute, and he just stood there barking at Blizzard until his owner finally caught up to his dog and collared him. I told his owner that if he couldn't control his dog, I will!

He hasn't walked his dog by my property since that incident.

Old 10-20-2007, 02:40 AM

1,179 posts, read 8,708,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitBullMommie1206 View Post
Schutzhund or you can just say VPG. Recently the Germans changed the name of "schutzhund" to "VPG". It's definitely easier to spell! lol!
Schutzhund is a lot easier to spell then Vielseitigkeitspruefung für Gebrauchshund at least for me....lol

Most people still call it SCH here vs VPG.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:12 AM

575 posts, read 3,693,817 times
wow I had no idea they renamed this, seems to translates to Versatility Test for Working Dogs.

Here is an interesting read on the titles and work, in English too Schutzhund Training

I wish they had events like this in the NE. I'm relegated to watching Animal Planet when they have these events on Sunday morning. I'd love to see one in person.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:41 AM

Wow so I just read the closed thread. I hadn't been keeping up with that one. Its amazing how many people don't know anything about real working breeds/dogs or think a dog thats supposed to be of a "working breed" means they own a working dog....lol Hardly.

I get the same crap Chick. Some of my dogs have high prey drive. Just like that lady was thinking your dog was afraid of the envelope people confuse my dog getting amped with fear. Pit Bulls tend to not bark, growl or act aggressive like that. They get excited, shake, whine, ect. So if I have a dog and they see a cat they might start to do just that, I get the" oh, he is scared of that kitty." Lol, right.

One is good with most other dogs, he must have thought my Aunt's Japanese Spitz was prey. Of course when my boy was a pup this dog bit him in the face too, so maybe he is still holding a grudge. Anyway he was behaving excited and my Aunt is like, whats wrong with him, is he going to be ok?
She wanted me to watch the dog for some undetermined time. I told her no, besides him not being trained, running out of the door into the street, escaping the yard, biting kids, peeing/pooing in the house my dogs could seriously injure him if he attacked one of them or they mistake him for prey. I don't want to be responsible if he gets injured by one of my dogs or killed by a car when he jets off. Thats when she said "Oh he would hurt your dogs a lot worse then they could hurt him". Doubtful, she thinks this because he attacks and frequently draws blood on my grandma's Rottweiler. Thats only because the Rott lets him. If she wanted to she could hurt him. My dog not only could, but would.

I would sure hope that people would not own a breed or dog that they don't understand. When they can't control it, disasters happen. We know that it does happen, people get dogs and they end up having an incident because they didn't know how to raise/train the dog. Mals can be huge liability in the wrong hands. People think Pit Bulls are crazy......I find Mals are much harder to raise, train and socialize and can easily have an unpredictable temperament when socialization is lacking. My Pit Bulls are a peace of caked compared to a Mal. My husband "won't" even let me get another. Right now they wouldn't fit with our lifestyle anyway. *Sigh* So its for the best.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:44 AM

I'm surprised that you haven't found any events near you. There are people in the NE that do these. There is a SCH club in Boston, although not sure where in MA you are.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:31 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,263,482 times
Exclamation Huge distinction

I wanted to go on record with this...there is a HUGE difference between "will my dog protect me" and a dog that is Schuntzhund or protection trained - and that type of training requires a professional, it's not something you do in the back yard. The type training Chick is speaking of is for a true working dog in a specific environment, not something the average pet owner needs to even consider, and most certainly not on your own. While I agree that every dog should be obedience trained and the owner should be aware of the dog's potential, I don't want anyone to think they can go into their back yard with Protection Animals for Dummies book and suddenly have a guard dog. Chick has pointed out this is a long and arduous process and it is NOT for the novice owner or someone who wants a pet quality dog.

There are many, many ways to work your dog to bring out it's full potential, but there's a distinction between pets that bark at strangers and professional working dogs. Let's don't get the two mixed up here, because more damage than good can occur in the wrong hands and with the wrong motives for training....or with entirely substandard training by someone who may work at the pet food store and imagine themselves a trainer on the side.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:11 AM

18,116 posts, read 11,748,386 times
My two Golden Retrieves are so friendly that they both would show
the burgler where the jewerly is! :-) just kidding! Or maybe not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs