Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 03:33 AM

1,179 posts, read 8,692,869 times

Advertisements

I think he is jumping the fence with the chain on?? Please clarify though?

The owners should be giving him attention. You should just talk to them. They might now even want him anymore. Some people would give their dog away if someone offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 10:02 AM

216 posts, read 826,720 times
At 8 months of age, your dog has not reached his "social maturity" yet. What's ok to him now, another male, may not be when he's 2 or 3 years of age. This is something you must seriously consider, because doing the crate & rotate is not fun and rehoming an adult pit is difficult to say the least.

If the people are agreeable to having the dog rehomed, you could possibly contact a good pit rescue in your area, tell them what's going on and offer to foster the dog if they can rehome him. That way, they have a foster home lined up and you have a professional organization to not only interview adoptee's but also pay for the vetting that he'll almost certainly need.

If the people aren't agreeable to rehoming him, then there really isn't anything you can do other than keep an eye on him and make sure he's at least receiving the basic care that he needs.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:28 AM

74 posts, read 306,313 times
The fact that he is chained is very much a concern to me. From everything I have read chained dogs, regardless of breed, are the most dangerous dogs. They will aggressively attack any one or anything that invades their space while chained. There are enough horror stories about pits due to bad owners; they contribute to ignorance over the breed and make it much harder for responsible dog owners. The conditions you describe sound to me like this dog is being set up to be a tragedy in the making.

Old 10-20-2007, 12:02 PM

13,909 posts, read 39,086,316 times
Why are you not just as conserned for the other dog????

Old 10-20-2007, 12:35 PM

216 posts, read 826,720 times
"a dog that has mange and is blind in ony eye and I cant tell what he is"

Yeah Sounds like (?) he may be worse off than the pit, as obviously the pit is able to get over to visit you. This other one sounds like he needs some help. Maybe an organization in the area can help out. Check out Dogs Deserve Better: No Chained Dogs! and see if they have a rep in the area or if they can advise you on how to proceed to maybe help make life better for both dogs.

Old 10-20-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I assume you are referring to my post. If so, I never said I wasn't concerned for the other dog...you inaccurately inferred that. From what is described, it is quite sad for both dogs.

However, I focused on the pit since I am a pit bull owner and I have to deal on a daily basis with all the ignorance concerning the breed and the outcomes of irresponsible owners. If a child should wander on the property accidently the child would be potentially in danger from both dogs, however, pit bulls are strong dogs and capable of doing more harm than other breeds, therefore, as a pit bull owner your have a responsibility to not make your dog aggessive in any way and a chained dog (regardless of breed) is potentially a lethal dog.

Last edited by TheLongestJourney...; 10-20-2007 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 10-20-2007, 01:45 PM

13,909 posts, read 39,086,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongestJourney... View Post
I assume you are referring to my post. If so, I never said I wasn't concerned for the other dog...you inaccurately inferred that. From what is described, it is quite sad for both dogs.

However, I focused on the pit since I am a pit bull owner and I have to deal on a daily basis with all the ignorance concerning the breed and the outcomes of irresponsible owners. If a child should wander on the property accidently the child would be potentially in danger from both dogs, however, pit bulls are strong dogs and capable of doing more harm than other breeds, therefore, as a pit bull owner your have a responsibility to not make your dog aggessive in any way and a chained dog (regardless of breed) is potentially a lethal dog.
no I was asking the person that starded this thread!

Old 10-20-2007, 02:17 PM

Quote:
no I was asking the person that starded this thread!
Sorry...my mistake. Wasn't sure. Looks like I incorrectly inferred .

Old 10-20-2007, 03:10 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,150,573 times
Quote:
How can he be chained & yet be in your yard playing? If he is not getting attention then I don't think you give him any either....must be your imagination that he is in your yard that your dog is playing with him.
Just like with a rope or a run, chains can be long. I would assume that the dog has a decent length chain and is pretty close to the fence. Also, she said that the dog doesn't get any attention from the owners, she said that she gives the dog attention when she's out there. I'm sure she's not imagining that the dog is in her yard playing with her dog! lol!

She said..

Quote:
he just keeps them outside all day everyday and I never see anyone come outside to play with them or pet them nothing. They just feed them and thats it.
So that, to me, sounds like the owners don't ever give the dogs attention.

She also said..

Quote:
I always see him sitting at the fence waiting for us to come outside and he jumps into our yard almost every day now, lately he's found a way to jump back over so we dont have to walk back around. My dog seems to get along with him very well and I'm starting to get attached to this dog.
So the dog is close to the fence, obviously close enough to jump over it. Since it is chained up and can still jump over the fence, it sounds like the dog has a pretty long chain. Not that that makes it any better though. No dog should ever be chained up anywhere for any reason! A rope or a run is just as easy to get and it's a lot better, in my opinion.

Something that is kind of confusing to me is that the dog is chained up, but the chain is long enough for it to jump over the fence, so why would she need to walk the dog around to take it home? If the dog can jump over to start with, why wouldn't it be able to jump back? She did say that the dog has found a way to get back over now, but I don't see why it couldn't just jump back to start with? Also, how do you walk the dog around? I guess take the chain off? Unless the dog has a really, really, really long chain?! lol!

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. It sounds like the other dog is the one that really needs the most help! There is no way I could see that going on and not do something about it. It's great that pitbullmomi (Hey! That's my name! lol! ) wants to help the APBT, obviously it could have and deserves to have a way better life than it has now, but the other dog sounds like it really needs some help! Not only is it chained up and never gets any attention just like the APBT, but it also needs some serious medical help as well! Plus, the APBT gets to play with pitbullmomi and her puppy and the other dog doesn't?

From what pitbullmomi said..

Quote:
Anyway the two dogs are a dog that has mange and is blind in only eye and I cant tell what he is.
It sounds like that poor thing needs a lot of help! I don't think that either of them should have to live the way they are living, but if it was me, I would be more concerned about the sick dog. I would also be concerned for the APBT, those (and the other two "pit bull" breeds, American Staffordshire Terriers and Staffordshire Bull Terriers) are my favorite dogs , but if I could only help one at the time, the sick dog would definitely be the first!

pitbullmomi, have you called animal services or anything like that? If not, I would strongly suggest that you call animal services and tell them what's going on. If these dogs are chained up with no attention and one has some kind of skin infection, they need help. Do they get fresh water and food everyday? Do they have sufficient shelter? Do they have a long enough chain to be able to go potty away from where they sleep? I would definitely suggest that you call animal services, if you haven't already, and let them know what's going on. At least one of the dogs needs medical attention and if the owner is just completely ignoring that, he should not have those poor dogs! At least the poor dogs have you as a neighbor! Obviously no one else is concerned about the well being of these dogs. I'm glad that you are trying to do something about it! Thank you, and good luck!

Last edited by PitBullMommie1206; 10-20-2007 at 03:24 PM..

Old 10-20-2007, 04:04 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,150,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongestJourney... View Post

My husband and I are also "pit bull" owners, we own three WoNdErFuL American Pit Bull Terriers. I know where your coming from! Having to deal with all of the ignorance is not a fun thing, but for my dogs, I would put up with anything! Being able to spend all day everyday with such amazing dogs makes everything worth it! All of the ignorance, rumors, myths, false, twisted news stories and over dramatic media hype use to just make me unbelievably mad, but now it makes me more sad than anything. We could possibly lose some of the most amazing breeds in the world all because of some irresponsible owners, irresponsible breeders, made up stories, crazy myths and easily influenced people! The "pit bull" breeds were bred specifically to be human friendly! They live to please people! They were war heros, they are currently used and suitable for all types of service work including drug detection, emergency rescue, service and therapy work, military service, and much more, they are loved family pets, and in most cases they are more than just pets, they are members of the family! These dogs are not born mean, they are made mean and because of what humans are doing these dogs are all going to be killed off?! Anyway, I'm getting off track! lol! But yeah, I know how it is to deal with the daily crap that the owners of so-called "dangerous" breeds have to deal with.

So anyway, to get to the whole reason for this post... You said,
Quote:
If a child should wander on the property accidently the child would be potentially in danger from both dogs
I agree with that. This situation is very dangerous! Not only would children be in danger, but if another dog or cat gets in the fence they could be seriously hurt or killed! I cannot stand when people have outside dogs! Dogs are pack animals, they need to be with their pack in order to be happy and healthy! Unless the whole family lives in the back yard, the dog should not live in the back yard, in my opinion. See, this right here is a perfect example of someone that knows nothing about "pit bulls" owning a "pit bull"! Anyone that knows anything about APBTs knows that these dogs get very attached to their owners very quickly! They need loads and loads of love and attention! Because of this they are not good for people that want an outside dog or for people that won't be home a lot! APBTs are also terriers, they are working dogs, they need a lot of exercise every single day and they need a "job" to do. Chaining up a high energy working breed and never giving them exercise or a "job" to do is just begging for serious trouble! All of that built up energy and frustration can easily be turned into serious aggression!

I do have to say that I disagree with part of what you said and I don't understand some of what you said.

Quote:
however, pit bulls are strong dogs and capable of doing more harm than other breeds,
Yes, the "pit bull" breeds are very strong breeds, but there are plenty of breeds that are the same size and bigger, that are just as strong and stronger and that can cause just as much harm if not more. I'm not saying that they are not strong, powerful dogs, but the way you said what you said kind of feeds into all of the crap that us, as "pit bull" owners, get so mad about. In my opinion anyway. I don't want you to take this as me being mean, or attacking you or trying to start an argument, that's not what I'm trying to do at all, but the way you worded what you said just didn't sit well with me so I had to say something. Yes they are very strong dogs that are capable of doing more harm than some other breeds, but there are many, many, many breeds that can cause just as much, if not more, harm than a "pit bull". It's not like you said anything that wasn't true, I just think that if you would have said "pit bulls are strong dogs and capable of doing more harm than some other breeds" instead of saying "pit bulls are strong dogs and capable of doing more harm than other breeds" it would be just as true of a statement, but it would have sounded a bit better, for the breeds, you know? Anyway, not a big deal, just my opinion.

This is what kind of confused me..

Quote:
therefore, as a pit bull owner your have a responsibility to not make your dog aggressive in any way and a chained dog (regardless of breed) is potentially a lethal dog
I don't really understand what you mean by that? You said that as "pit bull" owners we have a responsibility.. Oh wait, never mind! I missed part of what you said! Sorry! lol! I missed where you said that we, as "pit bull" owners, have a responsibility to not make our dogs aggressive in any way. For some reason, when I read that I thought that you said that we, as "pit bull" owners have a responsibility to make our dogs aggressive in any way! lol! I read it wrong, never mind! I agree with you there 100%! Again though, I have to say that it's not just with "pit bulls" and "pit bull" owners. All dog owners have a responsibility to make sure that their dog is properly raised, trained and socialized, to ensure that their dog is not aggressive or at least not overly aggressive or out of control. There are many, many breeds that are just as animal aggressive as American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers and Staffordshire Bull Terriers, and there are many, many breeds that are human aggressive, which the "pit bull" breeds should not be at all! They were bred specifically to be human friendly and they are know for their love of people, even complete strangers and especially children!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs