Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 09:04 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times

Advertisements

We are afraid we will lose our Murphy soon. He has been a great friend, companion and playmate. He is now refusing food and we are trying - the vet told us to let him eat whatever he wants (which I do not view as a good sign).

He is a large Sheltie and is 11. He has had absesses in his mouth and 11 teeth removed but may also have liver problems.

How does a dog let you know it's time? (My husband is in more denial than I am).

My husband has begun talking about other breeds or the same breed but a larger dog (40-45 pounds). Murphy used to be around 53 pounds - he was bred as a large Sheltie. When we got him, we didn't know what to expect (his picture on my profile).

I am partial to Shelties - had Collies as a child and Shelties are just awesome. I've heard the larger the dog, the shorter the life. True?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 09:10 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Some of my shelties lived to be 16 on adv but I bred 12-14 inches, Old Standard was 10 inches. Then shelties lived to be 20+ So yes smaller the longer life! My Latest dog is a Papillon supose to live 18 yrs adv. Like shelties in some ways except No Double Coat! LadyBug is 10 inches!

Old 01-20-2013, 09:22 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,479,516 times
So sorry to hear about your dog. ):

To me, it's time when they stop eating and are so listless that it seems like there is no life left, even though they are still breathing.

In general it's true that smaller dogs live longer but I know of plenty of exceptions to that rule. My 45 lb dog is almost 11 and she has hardly slowed down at all. She amazes me every day. My parents had a shepherd mix that was about 16 or so when she died.

It's also about their unique genetics and how well they've been cared for.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:47 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Sorry about your dog. A Corgi, may be a good fit for you...smaller, but not too small.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:49 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
I'm sorry...a 50+ pound sheltie? For real?
My collie is 55 pounds.
You sure he's a sheltie? Or is he overfed?

I say stick with the breed or go to collies...12 year life range (ish)...you know they are great dogs.

Sorry for your loss. Terrible.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:58 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
Unless you're extremely partial to a particular breed, why not simply determine the specific traits that you would want in a dog (size, coat type, personality type, age, etc.) and visit shelters and choose whichever dog fits these requirements and "clicks" with you? Plus this way you may end up with a one-of-a-kind dog (better known as a mutt ). I don't know whether mutts really are healthier on average than purebreds, but all the mutts I've owned have been hale into old age.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:44 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Mutt! Sheltie mix, or whatever type you favor. No one's mutt looks like your own. I expect mine to live to at least 15, and they largely do.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:09 AM

5,094 posts, read 12,583,607 times
My sister had a collie that lived to be 16 and the only reason she put him to sleep was his hips gave out and he could not get up without help and did not stay up long when you did get him up. That dog had a great diet and two very long walks everyday, even if it was cold and pouring rain they went on their walks( she lives in Portland so bad weather is a given).

Old 01-21-2013, 11:52 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
yes the larger the dog the shorter the lifespan as a general rule...BUT most dogs in the 30-80lb range will have a similar lifespan, its only realy a big differnce whenyour comparing a toy breed like a chiahuah with a 20yr otential lifespan and say a great dane whos average is 7-8 years.

in terms of breeds though its impossible to reccomend a breed soley based on a weight range.
shelter dogs/muts would be my first suggestion...
but if you want to lok into pure breeds wed need toknwo what kind of grooming shedding energy levels youd be willing to put up with ect.
are you looking for a couch companion, a jogging partner, a hiking hound? something in between?
youve had a dog with lots of hair mabe youd prefer something with a shorter coat this time ect?

if you like the shelties why not go with a sheltie (or given his size, a collie...if you want less coat you could always look into the smooth collies)

Old 01-21-2013, 12:50 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
It's so hard to deal with this. We don't want them to suffer but we want them to have every minute of life possible. The good no-kill shelters and sanctuaries have a policy of no euthanasia unless an animal is in severe pain with no hope of recovery. It's usually best to ask your vet.

Get a new dog when it feels right and please don't go to a breeder. There are so many wonderful dogs in pounds, shelters, and even on the streets in parts of big cities. The forty-pound mixed breed dogs seem to live a long time. Most of the effects of inbreeding are gone so that's not a worry. Pick the one of whatever size who looks you in the eyes and let's you know she wants to take him or her home to be your dog or the one who's frightened and shaking but relaxes when he feels your touch.

But 9# or 90#, they're all wonderful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs