U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 10:08 AM

181 posts, read 1,003,837 times

Advertisements

If I were to get a small dog it would be a Boston Terrier. Good luck with your decision!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 02:43 PM

389 posts, read 3,288,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashbaak View Post
Check out the Havanese. They're a big dog in a small dog's body. Havanese Forum
I second the havanese. They are adorable dogs, and we see quite a few at work and we have yet to see one that is snippy or temperamental (we have a lot of little dogs that will nip (not necessarily "bite", but when you're on the receiving end, what's the difference) Coton de tulear (I don't know if I spelled that right) are great too.

Those would be my two main recommendations based on the many little dogs we work with every day. Across the board seem to be the best tempered and just stinkin' cute to boot!

Old 10-20-2007, 02:51 PM

1,510 posts, read 4,648,586 times
I agree with the Pug owners.. I have one myself. Theyre great. Good watch dogs, great with kids, playful as heck, but not rowdy. Dont need a lot of exercise, so good for apartment living, unlike terriers who need to burn more energy. Very friendly and arent the 'nippy' type at all. Dont need much grooming, though they do shed. But the black ones dont shed as much as the fawn colored ones. Go to the AKC website and read up on them. Good luck with your search

Old 10-20-2007, 02:54 PM

11 posts, read 33,045 times
I was raised with a corgi and he was the best dog, lots of personality. I have a black pug now and he too has lots of personality but he is a bit slow for me. Two laps around the grass is all he can do! But he definitely is a lap dog and just adorable!

Old 10-20-2007, 09:16 PM

4,558 posts, read 12,076,764 times
My vote for the very best small dog is the pug. They are cute cute cute love bugs... pretty healthy (just take good care never to let them become overheated in car, etc) Small enough not to be overwhelming for your 9 yr old, they can be pretty energetic, but not snappy in the least. I've never owned a pug (hubby has a thing against small dogs...) but if I could that's what I'd have. And my standard poodle would be SO HAPPY!!

Old 10-22-2007, 10:33 AM

6,764 posts, read 19,720,756 times
Thanks for the ideas!

Old 10-22-2007, 07:48 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,834,780 times
Check out this for pugs in your area.
Petfinder Pet Search Results

Old 10-22-2007, 07:59 PM

2,766 posts, read 4,978,769 times
We have three small dogs a papillion,a mini schnauzer and a doxie.The mini schnauzer would be my pick for you a barker but not a nipper and great with kids. She is the clown of the three.Also very smart and easy to train.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:21 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,484,538 times
australian terrier from a good breeder, small, watch dog, gentle, happy, friendly.
acts like a big dog, however loves all.does not shed much. grooming every 3 to 4 months.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:24 PM

8,062 posts, read 16,186,770 times
I adopted my Yorkie (Yorkshire Terrier) -- no one wanted him because he was "too big" at 9 pounds. Now he weighs about 13 pounds and he is SO adorable! I don't know why people want the tiny ones, anyway. They can be awfully fragile!

Yorkies will only act spoiled and yappy if you let it happen! Mine got corrected sharply when he barked for no reason, so now he doesn't! He's super-smart and a rugged little guy. He loves to snuggle and play and thinks he's a big dog! He loves to play chase and wrestle with my Weimaraner! I've taught him several tricks and everyone who meets him just loves him to pieces.

My son was 18 when I adopted Bobby and he wasn't thrilled about my getting a small dog. It didn't take long for my son (and his friends, too) to adore Bobby and spend a lot of time playing with him. He's just a great little dog!

Keep an eye out for larger Yorkies. They really need good homes and breeders/pet stores have a hard time placing them because they're not "teacups."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs