Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 07:23 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times

Advertisements

Forwarded my email to a main email address used by this rescue. Still no response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 09:06 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,104,727 times
Hopes, search on facebook for a means of contact with that particular rescue. I found the group that I'm working with as a foster online and have since made connections with people all over the country. If there is a dog meeting your needs in some other part of the country, it can be transported to you.

My foster is heading for her furever home in New England next weekend and they are a lucky family.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:23 PM

My Fairy Dawg Mother Hound Rescue

Helping Hounds Dog Rescue http://www.helpinghoundscny.org/ (Syracuse, NY)

Far too many groups on FB to link. I searched: hound rescue.

Good luck in finding the right friend for your hound.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:07 PM

765 posts, read 2,440,410 times
We received our boy from a rescue, and after fostering him for 3 months asked if we could adopt him. Our emails went unanswered. We finally sent them a check for the adoption fee with a note that said that it would be understood that once the check was cashed the adoption would be final. It took MONTHS for the check to get cashed. I think that the people who operate the rescues are so dog focused that the business side just slides. Try to find more people in the rescue that you can email. Good luck and keep at it!

Old 01-27-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easybay View Post
I think that the people who operate the rescues are so dog focused that the business side just slides. Try to find more people in the rescue that you can email. Good luck and keep at it!
It's illogical since placements should be the top priority of being "dog focused." If you're not placing the dogs you have, you're not freeing up space to save other dogs. They can't be too "dog focused" if they lost sight of that. I'll continue to ask around and hunt them down. I'll definitely go to one of the events next month.

Thanks for the link NY Annie. I have been looking at hound rescues across the country. I'm just a little nervous about going too far away. We lucked out getting our hound without meeting him. They were on the ball, very responsive, and obviously took our desires into consideration to make a good match. Now that the rescues are acting flaky, I'm not sure I'll go that route. I'll want to meet the dog this time.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:52 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,691,224 times
I gave up on trying to go good and rescue, they never would reply etc.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:14 PM

Hopes, there's a hound mix (looks beagle) at the local rescue where I foster. He'll be available to pull tomorrow if his tests come back good. The rescuer who visited him (high kill shelter) said he's adorable and friendly, 9 months. There's also an older beagle/hound that is in foster right now. If you're interested, let me know.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:58 AM

Thank you so much for thinking of me. Let me tell you my criteria.

I can't get a young dog because my hound gets beat up and worn out by them. They literally jump over him and on top of him and he just hunkers down like he is being tortured and lets them beat on him. He is not having fun. If I babysit a younger dog for a few hours, he jumps up to sit on my lap after 15 minutes of it. He's a 50lb dog sitting on my lap. I feel so sorry for him.

He's a 9 year old beagle basset mix. I'd like another one of those. My reasons are many. I think the basset helps mellow the beagle personality a bit. An older dog is important for my hound's sanity, and it would be nice to rescue an older dog because most people want younger dogs.

Plus, I think these may be our last dogs. Dogs live long lives with me and hubby. I had a peekapoo that lived 22 years, hubby had a Labrador that lived 14, our last Labrador that lived 16 years, and now we only have our beagle basset at 9 years. We commit for life. I don't want to make another 16 year commitment. We're getting older. I don't want our dogs to out live us. (I know it sounds irrational since I'm only in my 40s and my husband is in his 50s, but neither of us had parents who lived until 60.)

A dog around 9 or 10 years old would be perfect, give or take a year.

To further complicate matters, I need the right personality. My hound is very submissive but not to the point of shaking and peeing. He is also very needy for attention and gets jealous easily. I don't think he would be happy with a dog that has an extremely dominant personality.

Above all, my hound and the new dog need to like each other. This is about finding a buddy for him. I wish I had taken my Labrador's feelings more into consideration when I adopted my hound. Labs aren't pack dogs like hounds. My lab truly just tolerated the hound for many years (even though the hound absolutely ADORED the Labrador). I plan to do it right by the existing dog this time.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:39 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,267,874 times
Hopes, did you read this thread?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...anization.html

Gray Muzzle apparently just helps, but perhaps they could put you in touch with an org in your area with senior dogs (THE BEST!)? Or contact The Senior Dog Project? The Senior Dogs Project

From being in rescue, I will step out on a limb and tell you there aren't a lot of rescues taking in seniors because there isn't a lot of demand and placements are difficult at best. I DO think the former rescue owed you the courtesy of a reply, but it looks like you're kind of flying on your own.

May I suggest a female this time? You will probably have less problems than you would with same-sex adoption.

I understand wanting to take in an older dog - at a certain point in your life you realize what a lengthy commitment you potentially are making, and planning for care for the dogs "if something happens", I think, is wise. We are in our mid-50's/early 60's and we have muttskys and little dogs 3 years old. Even 3 years ago the dog's age didn't seem like a player, but with a run of bad health around here it's brought it more to mind. We, too, will not be taking in any younger dogs...in fact, we most likely will lose what we have in the way of older dogs by attrition and just grow old with the ones we have. It's kind of sobering to think of, but I wonder even now who would take this pack, and the answer is that they would have to be split up into smaller units.

Good luck - I know there are seniors on Petfinder, some with rescues....just be very careful if you do an independent adoption. People are known to lie about their senior dog's health or habits. I just don't understand getting rid of an old companion, but I am sure there are life situations which demand it.

Let us know what you find.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:00 AM

1,092 posts, read 3,435,988 times
Please consider your local animal shelters as well. You can often setup email alerts for specific breeds (petfinder lists the dogs from some shelters as well). You can often take your dog to meet the new dog (sometimes through a fence.) If you take the dog home and it doesn't fit personality wise, they'll often give you a refund or a voucher. Older dogs are the most vulnerable, and if it doesn't work out (either personalitywise or healthwise) you at least gave the dog a chance!

I have a pure bred French bulldog that my Mom rescued from our local shelter that I promptly stole from her, lol. We fell in love with one another, and I replaced her with a most lovable pug (that we knew had some health issues as many pugs do.)

It just continues to stun us that these beautiful animals went to the pound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs