U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2013, 07:08 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,830,656 times

Advertisements

I have always tried to downplay the excitement when we come home to make life easier. My dog now comes to the door when I arrive, gives me the once over (sometimes she comes for a pet or most times just some eye contact) and then she disappears into the bathroom. It's funny for me to think she knows my first stop after de-booting, de-hatting and de-gloving is the bathroom. She will sit patiently no matter how long it takes me but once I am seated...she throws a party! She has also started to do the same thing in the morning. She is usually awake before me and sitting in front of the window. As soon as she knows I am awake for good and getting out of bed, she does not come and greet me but leaves the bedroom. I find her sitting quietly in the bathroom waiting for me and again, once I am seated, she acts as though she has not seen me in weeks! It makes me laugh everytime she does it. Interestingly enough, she only does it with me. I must be the predictable one in the house!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 07:34 AM

21,848 posts, read 23,076,737 times
That is hilarious!

Old 01-29-2013, 08:20 AM

12,388 posts, read 31,357,488 times
Do you do the same to her? When you get ready to take her potty do you basicly ignore her until she done? BTW that is the correct way to do for Summisive dogs that pee. Sounds like she learned from you LOL She just doent want you peeing on the floor hehehehehe

Last edited by Katie1; 01-29-2013 at 08:30 AM..

Old 01-29-2013, 10:01 AM

3,339 posts, read 7,547,229 times
It's a little unsettling sometimes how well dogs observe us and can predict our next move. Our dog Hallie used to be able to tell what I was about to do by listening to my breathing. It took me quite awhile to figure out how she knew when I was going to get up from the computer, fix her dinner or take her outside, and one day it dawned on me it was my breathing patterns.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:37 PM

5,708 posts, read 4,127,267 times
I think we would all be surprised by what dogs know by our body language and breathing (I agree with your theory Tina). I also think they pick out key words in our conversations, such as names or places.

When I was a child, our first dog leaped off the couch when a TV show broke for commercials. That was before any of us even began to move or get up to go to the kitchen for snacks. She knew by the music or change of voices on the TV.

Our dogs know when it is the weekend. They follow us and watch us like hawks, just waiting for the words "let's go".

On work days, they never look at us with those inquiring eyes (can I come too?) when we are dressing for work or getting ready to go some place where they can't accompany us.

I believe they definitely have an extra sensory (or more) that we humans either don't know how to use or don't have.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:25 PM

737 posts, read 2,241,116 times
Dogs like the pee smells, that's it. Just be sure to flush and put the lid down and no problems. Just be careful before using the commode during the middle of the sleep night as your pet likes the smell; you don't and it is YOUR home, first. It'll all work out in a few months, no worries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs