U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2013, 02:43 PM

436 posts, read 1,339,062 times

Advertisements

My dog has been having tons of issues with his skin so I finally took him to get an allergy test. The only thing he came back positive for was a flea allergy. We were using frontline last summer but I guess it stopped working around here because we were infested so I switched him to k9 advantix and that seemed to help. Because of the flea allergy, the vet suggested using comfortis. I've been doing some reading about it and I'm getting so many mixed reviews. Some people swear by it, others say it almost killed their dog. Also, my dog weighs 22lbs. The dosages come in amounts for <10lbs, 10-20lbs, 20-40lbs, etc. I don't really want to give my dog the dose for the 20-40lbs because that seems like an awfully large span so I think I'll go with the 10-20lb. size.

So even though I've already read so many different reviews about it, I'm looking for more. Anyone have experiences, good or bad, with comfortis?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 05:23 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,366,793 times
Whatever you do, don't give it at the same time you give Ivermectin. That can cause a potentially fatal reaction.

Comfortis was not a good medication for my dog. When he took it, he developed diarrhea and vomiting for about a week afterwards.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:18 PM

2 posts, read 7,784 times
Thank you for the information about not mixing ivermectin with
Comfortis. I was going to give iverhart on Tuesday. But my Binky
Vomited so I delayed dosage. I had given Comfortis a couple day
earlier on Sunday. Now Binly is lethargic and can't jump up on couch
which is very low to the floor. I can only imagine what might of happened
if she hadn't vomited in the morning. Why don't vets tell us these things.
:-(

Old 10-24-2013, 12:59 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,793,656 times
my female crestie is allergic to comfortis...sh gets n upset tummy, lethargic and generally icky for a few day after...does the same on trifexis too..

that hwowever sounds like an extreme reaction or something else and idhave binky checked at the vet jto ust be safe.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:14 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,188,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binky648 View Post
Thank you for the information about not mixing ivermectin with
Comfortis. I was going to give iverhart on Tuesday. But my Binky
Vomited so I delayed dosage. I had given Comfortis a couple day
earlier on Sunday. Now Binly is lethargic and can't jump up on couch
which is very low to the floor. I can only imagine what might of happened
if she hadn't vomited in the morning. Why don't vets tell us these things.
:-(

You should call your vet. This has been well documented for years including by the FDA. Adverse reactions get progressively WORSE not better the more the animal is exposed to it/ them - the interaction could be very bad.

Here are a bunch of hits on google search about it:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mixi...sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Some people on my megaesophagus board use Safeheart, a lower dosage for Heartworm.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:31 AM

13,545 posts, read 7,400,589 times
My little Chi-Pom foster had a bad reaction to Comfortis. Among other symptoms he started doing something that seemed very strange to me which I just had a lightbulb moment that it could be a mini seizure. He would stretch his head/neck way in the air, nose pointing as high as possible with his eyes squinting. It almost looks like a powerful stretch but I had never seen him do that before. From what I saw online it is a simple partial (focal) seizure. I have never used Comfortis before (and now, I know I will never again) but this is what the rescue sent to use on him. I would rather pay out of pocket for him and buy Frontline as needed.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:18 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,715,474 times
Good catch shadowme, sometimes we miss the signs and symptoms of seizure activity because they are not what we think a seizure look like, I was guilty of that in a patient until she went into a grand mal, sheesh.

We're having an awful time with fleas too, I tried Frontline and might as well have used water, switched to AdvantixII and it works better but isn't perfect either. I was considering an oral med but am unsure what to try first. I'm concerned because my dog is ten. I have used Revolution in the past and considered that as well. I'm at a loss really.

For temporary relief Capstar works well, I use it for the cats too. It works within a few hours but is not a preventive, you must use a second med for that. I can't use topical meds on my one cat as he develops huge eruptions from all of them.

Also, keep in mind you MUST treat the environment as well as your fur friends, including bedding and your yard if at all possible. I can't treat the outdoors unfortunately so I think it will be an ongoing battle for us.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:38 PM

13,545 posts, read 7,400,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion2 View Post
Good catch shadowme, sometimes we miss the signs and symptoms of seizure activity because they are not what we think a seizure look like, I was guilty of that in a patient until she went into a grand mal, sheesh.

We're having an awful time with fleas too, I tried Frontline and might as well have used water, switched to AdvantixII and it works better but isn't perfect either. I was considering an oral med but am unsure what to try first. I'm concerned because my dog is ten. I have used Revolution in the past and considered that as well. I'm at a loss really.

For temporary relief Capstar works well, I use it for the cats too. It works within a few hours but is not a preventive, you must use a second med for that. I can't use topical meds on my one cat as he develops huge eruptions from all of them.

Also, keep in mind you MUST treat the environment as well as your fur friends, including bedding and your yard if at all possible. I can't treat the outdoors unfortunately so I think it will be an ongoing battle for us.
Both rescues I have fostered for sent HW and flea meds in the mail monthly. With my own dogs I usually only used Frontline as needed which was actually pretty rare. I agree that you have to control the environment/treat the house.

My last foster reacted to her rabies shot as well as the flea treatment sent by the rescue. I just bought her Frontline. Both babies are 7-9 #'s so little ones. The papillon was mostly white which someone told me tends to be more sensitive to meds. I am careful not to give 2 things at a time. e.g. HW & flea which is good because with Comfortis, it actually says not to use them together.

I'll tell you, it did not look like any seizure I have seen. You know how sometimes a thought just hits you out of the blue? I have been watching the series "Black Box" so it opened my mind up to a different way of viewing things.

Have you tried Diatemaceous Earth? I just saw it in the health food store's pet section and some people swear by it. My co-worker used to take it internally...I think he believed it lowered his cholesterol or something. You can put it on the pet's fur. I believe it shreds the insect on contact. Back when he was on that kick, he gave me some to put in the house for ants. If you try it make sure to get food grade DE.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:11 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,715,474 times
I've heard that food grade DE works but am concerned about dust in the house due to my brother's breathing issues, he has COPD. Same deal with using many other flea remedies, I don't want to bomb the house for that reason, although thinking about it he smokes so maybe I'm being a little silly, what's a little more water when you're already wet sort of thinking but IDK, I think it might increase the risk to his health since it is dust particles food grade or not. The critters could ingest it fine but I don't think my brothers' abused lungs would benefit.

Also, I'm unsure if my GSD is scratching from habit, old bites or actual fleas. I haven't checked her today, I applied the med yesterday. It seems she is the most attractive to the fleas, the puppy is a tick magnet, ugh. I've also read that some of the dog flea repellents are toxic to cats even if you don't apply it to the cat, it transfers from dog to cat. I imagine it is via contact and the cat licks it off its fur. Lovely! Can I just put the dogs in a ziploc bag and be done with it then?!

I lived in the country for a few years and never had a dang flea on the dog using Revolution and now that I live in the burbs I can't get rid of them! I don't know if it's the fleas, me or what. I hate having to take everyone to the vet just to get flea meds but it looks as if that's going to be the next step. Arrugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs