U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 11:32 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,028,696 times

Advertisements

This thread should be moved, the more I read the more I understand its a "people" problem not a "dog problem." If anything seems like the dogs are innocent bystanders in the household.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 04:00 PM

2,572 posts, read 6,554,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post

[COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"][/color]

If you have a lab you are in for ALOT of shedding! I have one and there's always hair clinging to something! Labs are incredibly smart and I really think you could work with he/she. I do not know much about the other two breeds. Labs are puppies until around age of 2. Once they get through that puppy stage, I can tell you that they are just awesome pets. What about the kids? Can they help you out a little with chores regarding the dogs? Your BF needs to at least clean up the yard if nothing else. I'm sorry, but that is how I feel. I don't care if he works or not, he is the one that went and got the dogs.
I agree entirely.

Also, Labs are pretty awful until they are fully grown. Then they are great. Our Lab is now 8 years old, but the first 18 months that we had her were awful. After that she was just a big throw rug of a thing, content to just flop down and sigh a lot. I am really glad we stuck it out with her but it was hard. She destroyed many pairs of shoes, pooped and peed on our bed, destroying the mattress, drug kitchen trash all over the house, ate all kinds of things she wasn't supposed to (and had several emergency vet visits as a result).. she was just a nightmare during her "puppyhood"!

As for the pet responsibility, I have always heard people complain that one person gets stuck with pet care. Around here we just have never accepted that. Everyone in the house helps with the animals, from the time they were very young the kids learned to re-fill water dishes, vacuum pet hair, brush them, and with the cats they all learned early to clean the cat box. It doesn't matter "whose" dog it is. They are all considered family pets and therefore everyone MUST contribute. We rotate the chores. When we lived in a house with a yard, we all took turns "scooping" poop from the yard so it was not gross. Now that we are in an apartment, we all take turns walking the dogs several times a day and no one person get stuck with the responsibility. Plus it forces the kids to get outside and walk.

I understand the frustration of dealing with untrained dogs. We have one here who needs a lot of work,he's kind of a brat and has proven to be very tough to train, but you can't blame the dog for it.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:02 AM

1,181 posts, read 2,575,487 times
I'd say your main problems are: (1) you and your bf are totally opposite when it comes to pets. Personally I would not have a close relationship with someone that did not like pets, especially dogs. And the opposite would also be true. Living with someone with opposite feelings in this area can be very problematic. (2) Your BF's dogs are not well trained and are not being groomed as they should be. Perhaps if you and he go to Leerburg Dog Training | 16,000 pages of dog training information, 500 free dog training streaming videos, free eBooks, podcasts, by Ed Frawley and Michael Ellis you both could get information and qualified help with the training via the forum and free Ebooks.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:46 AM

373 posts, read 560,069 times
That's just it. He likes to have them, grew up in a house with lots of dogs and never had good furniture or a nice house, so it did not matter if the dog chewed the furniture, woodwork or whatever.

I would like to have a nice house and yard that is not destroyed by dogs. My idea of a dog is one that lays on the porch, but I grew up on a farm and the dog hung out in the barn. My parents only have one inside dog.

He does nothing with them. It is up to me to do the feeding and clean up. My daughter will help but really she is not a dog person either. I use to be but I have kids that require a lot of work and it drives me nuts to constantly be working towards having a clean house, just for the dogs to run in and leave behind a trail of hair or mud. Well only one is bad about this...the lab. Ugh.

Fwiw- I did not buy any of these dogs. One came with him and one was a rescue. The lab was acquired when he got into hunting. Of course he never took him hunting..ugh. I actually bought a house to accommodate the first dog, as my apartment did not allow pets.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:51 AM

373 posts, read 560,069 times
I am planning on selling the current house and trying to get a house with a yard next year. Bf thinks this will solve the dog issue. He also thought neutering the lab would calm him. Yeah still waiting for that to work.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:09 AM

5,792 posts, read 9,269,527 times
What a beastly thread! Every page gets me shaking my head more and more. Good advice mixed up with more astonishing posts from the OP. I agree, it's a relationship issue more than a dog issue. BF is irresponsible and OP is crabby . It's probably not an unusual situation at all, we just don't get that kind of thing very often in this forum. Liberty, it's time you went on vacation. Go home to your folks for a few weeks, and regain what you think of as normalcy. Bring your kids, and have a nice time with grandma and grandpa and their outside dog. Get your head cleared of dog fur and visions of feces on paws, and reassess the situation. Make a pros-and-cons list. Resolve to take action. Then go home and have a sit-down with BF. By then he will know what it feels like not having you around. It may bring some common sense into the entire situation...

Old 02-01-2013, 09:14 AM

1,565 posts, read 1,613,315 times
Have your BF do some of the work or show him the door.
Training is a must--especially with the lab.
Get the lab nutered ASAP!!!!!
If the other dogs are not fixed, get them fixed ASAP!!!
Do not just throw your dogs in the back yard. Train them. Have towel ready at the door for when they come in you can wipe their paws. yes it's annoying but if you want a clean house that's what you have to do. Brush the lab at least several times a week--that should help with the shedding problem.
Make the bf clean up the dog stuff outside, have him brush the lab and tell him that you both need to work on training the dogs.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:18 AM

1,565 posts, read 1,613,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
What a beastly thread! Every page gets me shaking my head more and more. Good advice mixed up with more astonishing posts from the OP. I agree, it's a relationship issue more than a dog issue. BF is irresponsible and OP is crabby . It's probably not an unusual situation at all, we just don't get that kind of thing very often in this forum. Liberty, it's time you went on vacation. Go home to your folks for a few weeks, and regain what you think of as normalcy. Bring your kids, and have a nice time with grandma and grandpa and their outside dog. Get your head cleared of dog fur and visions of feces on paws, and reassess the situation. Make a pros-and-cons list. Resolve to take action. Then go home and have a sit-down with BF. By then he will know what it feels like not having you around. It may bring some common sense into the entire situation...
Probably the best advice you'll get.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:19 AM

7,330 posts, read 13,189,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
Probably the best advice you'll get.
x2

Old 02-01-2013, 09:25 AM

2,898 posts, read 4,570,568 times
I agree with all the posters who suggested to (1) get your boyfriend to help out more and (2) get those dogs trained. The difference in training (or lack of) is like night and day.

My next door neighbor owns a chocolate Lab...I refer to him as my step-dog. When my neighbor is gone for the day, he knows he can rely on me to let his dog out and play with him in the back yard. He is a wonderful animal with a fabulous personality, and I love him dearly. When he was a puppy, he jumped on people a lot, as young Labs are wont to do. But his owner worked with him and he's very well-behaved now.

However, I have a friend with a chocolate Lab who is a terror...the dog is NOT well trained. When you knock on the door, the dog is right there, waiting to pounce. Once you get in the door, he jumps all over you. When you sit on the couch, he tries to jump onto your lap. He is NOT a pleasure to be around, and this is all the result of him not being trained. It's NOT the dog's fault, it's the owner's. Very sad...

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or