U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 09:27 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,974,311 times

Advertisements

I see it here occasionally, mostly in high-end stores like Nordstrom. I don't but I have no problem with it but I would just feel too self-conscious about doing it myself.

In France I once saw a dog riding in the cart inside a grocery store. Now I would not be ok with that happening here; I wouldn't trust the OWNERS to make sure their dog didn't make a mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 09:38 PM

689 posts, read 1,239,553 times
My dog is being trained as a service dog. For training, I take her into stores like Target or Bass Pro Shops. I've taken her to the grocery store once, and she did just fine, but until she's thoroughly trained I don't want to set her up for failure. She's a large dog, so she doesn't go in the cart.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:15 PM

11,166 posts, read 20,496,363 times
No, I never take my dogs in the store. Not the grocery store, not the convenience store, not even the pet store. And I used to work retail and I would always tell people they couldn't bring their dogs inside unless it was a service dog. You'd be amazed at how many people tried.

I love my dogs, but they belong in my house or outside. Too many things can go wrong with them in a store.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:21 PM

1,699 posts, read 3,557,442 times
The only stores I bring my dogs to are the pool supplies store, the garden center, and of course the pet store. All of these publicize that dogs are welcome. I really enjoy opportunities to bring my dogs out and about. Unfortunately we don't have many local restaurants that allow dogs in their outdoor dining areas but when I've traveled with my dogs to other areas we've enjoyed outdoor dining very much!

All the tack shops and antique shops around here have resident doggies. A few salons too. But those are the owners' dogs, the general public would not be encouraged to bring theirs along.

I see some people pulling some amazing stunts bringing their dogs into places they are definitely not allowed, like the grocery store! I love it every time I see it but would never try it myself. I do wink and give a thumbs up to the naughty people who do it though.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:37 PM

11,166 posts, read 20,496,363 times
Oh, I have taken a hedgehog into a grocery store before. The apartment building next to ours had a fire and we had to evacuate and it was only about 40 degrees outside, so I put her in my jacket pocket and took her inside to keep her warm.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:43 PM

11 posts, read 23,986 times
This really doesn't apply to me because I do not have a dog but if I did, the only place I'll take my pooch is to the pet store for toys and stuff.
But I do see people bringing dogs into malls and targets in those baby like pushers.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:40 PM

16,584 posts, read 33,789,124 times
Petsmart/Petco only. Nanners is good around the other dogs, and the humans can't resist her.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:46 AM

857 posts, read 745,997 times
No. My dogs are guard dogs and not very people friendly "except for family". They are guarding my house while I'm not there.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:36 AM

532 posts, read 1,570,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby1half View Post
No. My dogs are guard dogs and not very people friendly "except for family". They are guarding my house while I'm not there.
My youngest Aussie is trending this way and we're trying to train/break him of that, so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
The only stores I bring my dogs to are the pool supplies store, the garden center, and of course the pet store. All of these publicize that dogs are welcome. I really enjoy opportunities to bring my dogs out and about. Unfortunately we don't have many local restaurants that allow dogs in their outdoor dining areas but when I've traveled with my dogs to other areas we've enjoyed outdoor dining very much!

We bring him to Petsmart/Petco, Tractor Supply and we hang out in parking lots at the grocery store. I've heard that Lowe's home improvement is dog-friendly, but we haven't taken him there, yet. We only take him to places that advertise that they allow dogs.

My oldest Aussie doesn't know a stranger. Her biggest issue with that is that she may lunge at someone just to say "Hello!" Before the pup came along, I would take her on trips to see my mom and dad. My mom would bend over backwards to find places to keep my girl entertained. Dog Parks were not convenient, but we'd seek them out anyway. We'd stop at restaurants with outdoor patios to have lunch. People would always comment on how well behaved my girl was. They didn't know I was baiting her with turkey from my sandwich.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:45 AM

1,575 posts, read 1,622,266 times
I take Sawyer to pets stores and to an open/outdoor mall that is dog friendly. The stores have a picture of a doggie on their window to say if the dog is welcome or not. Some will have a note that says small dogs only. They have a doggie bakery at this mall as well and Sawyer LOVES going there because they have the yummiest treats. Other than that, I don't take him any place I don't think he's welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or