Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 05:56 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,334,727 times

Advertisements

I'm just beginning the transition from commercial dog food to home cooked. I think I will keep Wellness as a small part of each meal, but the bulk will be homemade. I've been slowly reducing the amount of kibble and replacing with things like chicken, turkey, bison, lamb, and all different sorts of fish, also eggs, yogurt, apples, blueberries, carrots, green beans, banana, pumpkin, and a small amount of brown rice, pasta, or potato. My dogs are absolutely loving the new foods! I'm really happy with the way they've been eating too - I worried they'd get overly excited and scarf it down too fast, but just today I was noticing they did chew their apple slices nicely instead of swallowing them whole! Which brings up a question I've had - what size pieces of food should be given?

Home cooking for dogs is a big responsibility and I'm taking it seriously. I'm going to be working with a veterinary nutritionist at Cornell to make sure my dog's dietary needs are being met. A lot of people who feed homemade add vitamins, minerals, and supplements to their dogs' meals and I want to learn more about that. If anyone knows of any good websites / books / forums on feeding home cooked, please share!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 12:14 AM

687 posts, read 1,489,002 times
I make a big batch about once a week. The standard mix is chicken, rice, veggies, pumpkin. I add different fruits, vegetables or grains, depending on what we have. If I have a question, I double check for dog safety. The homemade food gets mixed with kibble about 50/50.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:10 AM

31 posts, read 46,830 times
I do the supplements and all that but,i change out one week they get chicken,brown rice either carrots or green beans i cook the chicken and put the meat in my blender and chop it up better then add it to the mixture as i'll do beef and rice and veggie or turkey and rice,each batch lasts me a week.And they do get sweet potato as they like those and they get yogurt each day and their treats are eith made with peanut butter,chicken or beef or i make sweet potato treats.Their checkups go well so as long as that keeps up i'm happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs