U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 10:44 AM

3,869 posts, read 13,061,612 times

Advertisements

Your right you didn't say that,
I take it back.

I can give out prices because I have gone threw it a few times.
Nothing misleading about it.
I could say your prices for teeth cleaning is misleading as I have never in my life seen such a high cost for teeth cleaning.
Google
I see you went to the first page that comes up.

"A C-section will(could) cost you between $500 and $2,000. The normal easy C-section during business hours is about $500, then you add anything that was extra, and of course, on off hours labor is time and a half."

A 2k c-section would be very involved, with a large litter with complications.

I have real life experience with this.
I have the invoices.
Heck, I didn't even pay $2k for a rolled gut on X-mass eve at 9pm.
I see some may have a vet that is more $$$ orientated and they take advantage of you.
Maybe you need a different vet or some real life experience with this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Did you read my post? I didn't say you didn't know squat, I said I didn't and I don't. But it's pretty misleading to tell someone a csection only costs a few hundred dollars. I don't know anything about it and I can tell you that isn't right, so don't YOU give out misleading information. A quick google search told me 500 to 2000 minimum, so I am wondering if you do know what you're talking about.

Not sure what the rest of your rambling post is about.
PS the dog may not even need a c-section as dachshunds can give birth the old fashion way, naturaly.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:34 PM

36,483 posts, read 43,627,993 times
snofarmer- here teeth cleaning is close to or over $500. Senior panel, vet visit and all the extras they somehow add on make dental work extremely expensive. And usually 1 or 2 teeth need to be pulled. Cats almost as much so don't make disparaging remarks about anybody who spend $500 or more on teeth cleaning. it depends on your area.

Also to say as long as OP doesn't take any pups to the shelter she isn't part of the problem is very short sighted. Any pups she sells or gives away can reproduce and on and on it goes. That is why thousands of pets are killed in shelters all over this country DAILY. So yeah we do have a right to be outraged and to call her a backyard breeder.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:44 PM

29,819 posts, read 16,513,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
What ifs
Wishes and fishes...

Can't live in a world of what if's

Try reality.

There is not much diffrence if the breeding was " Willy-nilly " or not.
What matters is what happens with the pups.

The deed is done, now it's time to deal with it not chastise the op for the breeding, as that is kin to crying over split milk.

Now, if she cam to us with her idea of breeding them before they did the deed then we could explore other avenues.
I agree that voicing our opinion may or may not help this OP - but I also remember that many, many people will read these threads, perhaps brand new dog owners. It is my hope that they will learn early on the importance of spaying and neutering their pets.

Also, to please not be that owner that just wants their pet to have 'just one litter'. Because "just one litter' times millions of people ~ leads to the cold and lonely death of so many unwanted dogs.

How can we encourage careless breeding when so many dogs die every day in a shelter? How can we do that and still be called 'dog lovers'?

Old 02-04-2013, 03:13 PM

6,068 posts, read 8,340,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
snofarmer- here teeth cleaning is close to or over $500. Senior panel, vet visit and all the extras they somehow add on make dental work extremely expensive. And usually 1 or 2 teeth need to be pulled. Cats almost as much so don't make disparaging remarks about anybody who spend $500 or more on teeth cleaning. it depends on your area.

Also to say as long as OP doesn't take any pups to the shelter she isn't part of the problem is very short sighted. Any pups she sells or gives away can reproduce and on and on it goes. That is why thousands of pets are killed in shelters all over this country DAILY. So yeah we do have a right to be outraged and to call her a backyard breeder.
Thank you. It's a high price, but seems pretty standard for the area.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:18 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,326,965 times
Thanks to those who made me feel like s**t. I orginally had 2 males, and one female. The boys akc born from show parents. Molly was born on a farm in Manning. She got quite sick at 7 weeks old with puppy strangles and was on meds for awhile. My Jack died of cancer at 6. The hardest thing I ever had to do was to put him to sleep. It broke my heart. I had spoken to the.Vet about breeding Molly, so I knew what she told me. Whatever puppies she had, and I was told it would be 1 or 2, would be mine. I have no plans to give them away or sell them. After she had the litter, I planned on having her fixed. I do not believe she is carrying as her belly has gone down. Probably just menstrual swelling, but Vet next week anyway for yearly.

Last edited by Jrsygrl51; 02-04-2013 at 04:34 PM..

Old 02-05-2013, 11:07 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,833,321 times
Jrsygrl51, I am very sorry that your posting resulting in making you feel bad. The great thing about this forum is that the people here are passionate about animal welfare. Anyone who has had to put a beloved pet to sleep knows how heartbreaking it can be. Multiply that feeling by thousands for those exposed to abused and unwanted animals. With them there is no compensation of knowing you did the best you could or that the animal had a good life - there is just an awful feeling of helplessness and often that produces a sense of anger and judgment toward anyone that does not share their views. I think your post got caught in that emotion.

I have to disagree with the assumption that you are a backyard breeder bent on producing more unaltered pets that will reproduce and contribute mightily to the number of dogs that are killed on a daily basis. I am more adamantly against large scale puppy mills that supply pet stores where $ is the bottom line.I know this will be unpopular here but I do understand that desire to raise the offspring of your own pet. When I was a child, we did not have access to or knowledge of rescue groups that are common today and our local ASPCA housed maybe 20 animal cages - half of which went unused. It really was a different time. My mother bred our family dog aprox. 4 times and her pups were promised before they were born. She was what you would call a backyard breeder but I would not trade those experiences with those puppies for anything. They shaped a lot of how I feel about animals and life today and it truly saddens me to think that everyone does not have that opportunity. As I said, it was a different time and I don't advocate breeding dogs as a life lesson and rescuing a dog and watching it blossom with care and affection can offer a similar, life changing experience as well. It is still a free country and I, for one, am not comfortable with the Big Brother role of making you choose one over the other.

I am not a fan of being too politically correct (avoiding offending people at all costs) but neither do I advocate making someone feel like a criminal for doing something they have every legal right to do. While sharing one's opinions online here in order to reach a wider audience is a great way to get your point across, if you do so in an accusatory demeaning manner, any educational value to your opinion is lost. As someone pointed out, you did not ask the forum's opinion on breeding your dog - you simply asked for facts. I hope you can read past some of the judgments and consider some of the points brought up by posters that perhaps you had not considered. Medical opinions will always vary and making educated decisions is not an easy task but I consider it a moral responsibility when you are the acting advocate for another living creature. I think everyone here wishes your pets a long and healthy life.

-

Old 02-05-2013, 12:23 PM

3,748 posts, read 6,127,289 times
Jrsygrl51, from Talloolla's post, you can see that not everyone sees you as an irresponsible backyard breeder. (((Here's a hug from me))) I personally understand your purpose to breed your dogs. You know their personality, temperment and such. This will be the same for your pups. You will know these dogs. We have a family line of terriers. My Bones is 3rd generation, her grandmother had the litter that produced her father. Two litters from only 2 dogs in a 12 year time frame, and all off-spring went to family or close friends. None of them want to breed dogs and do get them fixed. When our friends and family want another dog, they ask us, "If you are going to breed again, we want a pup."
If being the key word here because we do not have the reputation of being a breeder and we -do not- breed willy nilly. Bones is not fixed, she is one of two from the litter of six still intact, my son has the other intact dog. When she gets older, I will want to have an 'heir' so to speak. I am cautious of going 'outside' to find the disposition of a terrier that I like. Last thing I want is a dog that is stubborn and neurotic no matter how much training I give it.
I know I am pretty much guarenteed a smart, healthy and problem free dog this way. It may come from her, or it may come from her litter-mate. We do not know at this time for we, as a family, do not have plans for breeding at this time.

To those who took the topic off track and turned it into a lecture- you should have saved your opinions for another discussion. I agree that there are many in need of homes dogs out there. I agree that there are many if not most BYB who are willy nilly and uneducated in breeding.
You based your opinion on these facts without having any facts from the OP.
And when is it ever someone's right to be rude? Expressing opinions can be done with out pointing fingers.
You all can slam me if you want. I won't feel bad about it. But let me say this, other than our family line of terriers, every single one of our other dogs are rescue dogs and we get them fix as soon as possible.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:38 PM

7,934 posts, read 9,659,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrsygrl51 View Post
Whatever puppies she had, and I was told it would be 1 or 2, would be mine.
The average litter size for dachshunds is 6 (4 for mini's). Why did you vet say it would be 1 or 2? If she had six, would you keep all six?

Old 02-05-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
The average litter size for dachshunds is 6 (4 for mini's). Why did you vet say it would be 1 or 2? If she had six, would you keep all six?
The Vet said first litters are 1-2 in min dachshunds. And if she had more, which the doc says would not happen, then I have friends who have expressed since she was little, if she had a litter, they would all want one.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:20 PM

Thank you Owl and Tall for your support. I have sent u both reps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or