U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 05:05 AM

32 posts, read 148,117 times

Advertisements

We have a small back yard, less than 1/4 acre and we have a basset hound and blood hound.
They run around in the back yard and have created a dog path by going over the grass repeatedly.

The grass is dead and it is pretty much just dirt now. This dirt is always coming into the house now.
What can we do to help reduce the dirt? I'm not talking about wiping their feet with a towel, but we can we do to make the back yard for dog friendly.

I'm afraid if I put sod down, it will just happen again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 06:09 AM

2,208 posts, read 3,284,236 times
How much time are they spending in the backyard? Do you have a sprinkler system?

Old 02-01-2013, 06:14 AM

They spend a lot of time in the backyard. Yes, we have a sprinkler system. I have not been running in much right now.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:57 AM

5,356 posts, read 16,340,513 times
For now, I would rope off the damaged areas and then try to rehab them. I'd find someone who could recommend the best type of grass to lay for your area. Anytime they start to wear a new path, repeat the above. Do it before it gets too bad.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:28 AM

1,574 posts, read 1,618,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
For now, I would rope off the damaged areas and then try to rehab them. I'd find someone who could recommend the best type of grass to lay for your area. Anytime they start to wear a new path, repeat the above. Do it before it gets too bad.

Thanks for this. I have similiar issues to the OP and will definitey need to rehab parts of my backyard.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:43 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,793,656 times
if thats their favorite path nothing you do is going to save it...why not put in a doggy racetrack...landscape around that area and cover that particular path with something thats going to prevent tracking put down weed cloth, and then put down pea gravel or mulch ect...

personally my fenced back yard is for me AND the dogs to enjoy and they too have a pretty definaed favortiet racetrack, so s i landscape the yard ill be incorporating that as an actual path, planting and plnning around it and putting down something "claw freindly" on that particuar running path...

with my big boy and the little guys if i tried roping off my "damaged" sections that feequently wed never be able to use the back yard...i mean do you realy need a little back yard of ONLY grass?! can you make it "pretty" without the constnt work of battling grass seeds and sprinklers?!

for me its the mentl equivalent of trying to grow a lush green lawn in the middle of arizona...CAN it be done...absolutly, but expect to put in the time, labor and MONEY to do it, when instead you could work WITH the issue and cutivate something VERY nice that works for everyone lol

Old 02-01-2013, 12:04 PM

Hey Thank you for the replies
@foxywench, I was thinking about having a sidewalk poured or having stones or something added.

If I re-sod the path, they will just ruin it. Most likely they would eat it up first lol

Old 02-01-2013, 12:10 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,793,656 times
thats personally what i woudl do, congrete, gravel, mulch, anything that will cover the dirt.

mine also eat grass lol.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:16 PM

819 posts, read 2,836,971 times
I'm dealing with this right now as well. Arwen has turned my once green backyard into a mud pit and she loves it. This is my first year with her, so maybe it was just the cold weather. Hopefully come spring it might just regrow on it's own

Old 02-01-2013, 12:56 PM

373 posts, read 560,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrockfl View Post
We have a small back yard, less than 1/4 acre and we have a basset hound and blood hound.
They run around in the back yard and have created a dog path by going over the grass repeatedly.

The grass is dead and it is pretty much just dirt now. This dirt is always coming into the house now.
What can we do to help reduce the dirt? I'm not talking about wiping their feet with a towel, but we can we do to make the back yard for dog friendly.

I'm afraid if I put sod down, it will just happen again.
I have put sod down every spring in our back yard. It is a small yard, 10 ft by 10 ft. Without fail, it becomes dirt within a few weeks.

I hope someone has a solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or