U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 12:10 PM

364 posts, read 456,645 times

Advertisements

"Hit" does not constitute "punch to the face" and certainly not "injure" the dog. It was a lack of better words for "physically discipline." Unless you have a special dog that speaks English, I'd bet your animal understands force more than anything else.

Regardless of method of training, this girl hadn't tried anything at all, and seemed to be totally fine with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 12:16 PM

4,582 posts, read 5,008,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Sword View Post
"Hit" does not constitute "punch to the face" and certainly not "injure" the dog. It was a lack of better words for "physically discipline." Unless you have a special dog that speaks English, I'd bet your animal understands force more than anything else.

Regardless of method of training, this girl hadn't tried anything at all, and seemed to be totally fine with it.
Sorry, still don't agree. I train my dog using positive methods. No physical discipline needed. She's a lab also. Labs are working dogs that have been breed and trained to work hand in hand with people. She wants to please me. Postive praise and treats of course is all that is needed.

Besides, it I "hit" her with my hand, I'd hurt my hand before it would even make her notice. Labs have a high tolerance for pain.

Saying all that, you are right that the girl does need to train her dog. Just not by your methods.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:24 PM

6,163 posts, read 12,558,422 times
Quote:
Annoying dogs are annoying, as are annoying people. There are both that are not annoying. I'm a dog lover. I dated a girl (kinda not really) who had a dog she never disciplined. This girl was 22 and had had the dog for a year. It was so misbehaved, that as hot as this female was, it almost didn't overrule how much I hated this dog.

You enter the house, and the dog (a black lab) jumps all over you... I mean, up to eye level jumping on you. Then she licks everything she can reach on you. You'd better not try and sit on the couch for a movie... Dog (40lbs) jumps all over you, licks all over your face, steps on your crotch, etc., etc... She NEVER seemed to think it was a big deal. She'd laugh and give one of the two excuses you listed. I slept over one night... greeted at 7AM by 40 lbs of meat jumping on my nude body.

I got especially pissed one night and asked her "Do you know why your dog acts like this?" (She had had this dog for over a year.)

"Why do you think?"

"Because you never discipline it. You don't hit your dog."

With a reactionary recoil, like I'd just defended Nazi war criminals, or recommended ordering some panda-fur-lined underwear, she snaps at me "If you ever hit my dog, you can leave and never speak to me again."

What I meant here isn't animal abuse. It's a quick snap to the back of the neck, or a firm pinch, purely to assert dominance and remind the animal that they answer to you, and not vica versa.

Yes, I am a dog person, but I understand that this means dogs will be in check. Some people are very bad dog owners.

I may not like untrained dog behavior but I would NEVER EVER tell someone to HIT her dog, and if I were that woman, I would have chucked you out the door right then.

You call yourself a "dog person" and condone hitting an animal? You are not in any way shape or form a "dog person". You don't teach obedience with pain and fear. What an attitude, good grief.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
I may not like untrained dog behavior but I would NEVER EVER tell someone to HIT her dog, and if I were that woman, I would have chucked you out the door right then.

You call yourself a "dog person" and condone hitting an animal? You are not in any way shape or form a "dog person". You don't teach obedience with pain and fear. What an attitude, good grief.
Do/did you spank your children?

Old 07-16-2013, 02:03 PM

5,002 posts, read 14,439,697 times
This sign hangs inside my home above the front door...
Attached Thumbnails
People who don't like dogs-dog-sign-2.jpg  

Old 07-16-2013, 02:21 PM

15,453 posts, read 13,443,675 times
A little draconian, but I will not associate with anyone on a personal level that does not like dogs. I do not own a dog, but my opinion is there is something mentally wrong with a person who does not like dogs, so I have no desire to be around them.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:28 PM

2,143 posts, read 3,020,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
A little draconian, but I will not associate with anyone on a personal level that does not like dogs. I do not own a dog, but my opinion is there is something mentally wrong with a person who does not like dogs, so I have no desire to be around them.
I love dogs but there is something wrong with you for thinking like this!

Old 07-16-2013, 08:31 PM

6,163 posts, read 12,558,422 times
Quote:
Do/did you spank your children?
I don't believe in hitting, whether it be animals, children or other adults. Violence begets violence. I have nothing more to say to you.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:55 PM

Well, I'm glad that's out of the way.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:02 AM

839 posts, read 1,034,897 times
I'd beat my children before I beat my dog lol. That is, if I had children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or