U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 10:26 AM

857 posts, read 1,777,387 times

Advertisements

I find I have a hard time relating to people who don't like dogs.

Also when people who come over my house and don't even say "Hi" to my dogs or seems as though they are in the way.It bothers me,though I don't say anything.

I have some friends who have no dogs and they just don't seem to get it,that I LOVE my dogs.

I suppose,really that is what gets in the way of truly liking them,I seem to really feel at home so much more with dog people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 10:32 AM

7,330 posts, read 13,223,996 times
Most of my friends are dog people, and I like not having to remind myself not to talk about dogs too much, lol. But it's fine if people aren't really into them. I have 3 cats too, and not all my "dog people friends" like cats, which I find kind of sad. But as long as no one talks bad about my pets, I'm OK with it. I even have a few friends that I really like, that don't care for either dogs or cats. That bewilders me more than not liking one or the other. But I accept it. I'm not into some of their great interests either, and they still like me!

Old 02-01-2013, 10:34 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,375,963 times
We all like different things.

I have had cats.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:35 AM

707 posts, read 1,343,216 times
I don't like "dogs", but I love my dog. It goes along the same line of not liking annoying/nagging kids, but loving your own children. My kids/dogs are well behaved and do what pleases me, your kids/dogs do not.

Don't take it personally.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:14 AM

1,574 posts, read 1,618,317 times
My sister-in-law's husband is not much of a dog person. We love our dog and my husband's parents' dog (she's a pure bred pit bull--beautiful and the sweetest thing in the world--even sweeter than my dog as hard as that is for me to admit) but he makes such a big deal about the dogs. We take our dog over to my husband's parents' house because he loves playing with their dog.
Our nephew is 3 and my sister in law is pregnant with her second. She doesn't mind the dogs at all. Both dogs know their sit and stay commands and my nephew tells them all the time to sit and stay and they do. Her husband though makes such a big deal that the dogs are their when his son is there--we said get over it, we all like the dogs, if you don't tough.
But he has learned to stop complaining about our dogs. He has now learned to accept that they are part of the family and not going anywhere. When he does complain, I find it funny because both dogs will sit there and stare at him asking him to pet them. He always caves in because they are too darn cute.

I understand not loving dogs if you don't own one. My mom tolerates my brother's dog. She's more of a cat person which is fine but she's always very nice to both my dog and my brother's dog.

If you don't like dogs it's fine, but you are not likely to be welcome in my home because he lives there, you don't.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:14 PM

3,339 posts, read 7,578,943 times
I have made close friendships because of having and loving dogs, and most of those people have become my closest friends. We take our dogs to each others' homes, except when there's a party, and we don't need petsitters because we have each other to rely on. We have doggie sleepovers. We meet at the dog park or we have play dates. Some of these friends are neighbors and some are gardening buddies or wives of guys my husband works with. It's all good.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:41 PM

11,157 posts, read 20,437,717 times
I like my dogs but I don't like everyone's dog. And I don't like having a relative show up with their uninvited dog, forcing me to lock my dog up (because hers is a little squeaky, yappy thing and my dog's mission in life is to get the squeak out of her toys). Then her dog barks and snaps at my kids, in their own home. Last time she showed up with the dog, I left my dog loose to try to get the squeak out, but now mine is big enough that she can fit the whole top half of my sister's dog in her mouth and it no longer looks like they're just playing.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:42 PM

568 posts, read 848,868 times
I don't know if I could be friends with someone who dislikes dogs in general. I'm 27 with no wife or children so Rebel is basically my son lol.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:47 PM

1,574 posts, read 1,618,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I like my dogs but I don't like everyone's dog. And I don't like having a relative show up with their uninvited dog, forcing me to lock my dog up (because hers is a little squeaky, yappy thing and my dog's mission in life is to get the squeak out of her toys). Then her dog barks and snaps at my kids, in their own home. Last time she showed up with the dog, I left my dog loose to try to get the squeak out, but now mine is big enough that she can fit the whole top half of my sister's dog in her mouth and it no longer looks like they're just playing.
I agree. I would never take Sawyer anywhere he was not welcome--hence my sister-in-law's house--I actually took him there once but it was a family cookout and my in-law's dog was also there and they just played in the big backyard the whole time. And I would not allow a dog that would not behave in my house to come over. My dog is well trained for the most part (he has a little anxiety and is leash reactive--but we are working on this and making great progress).

Old 02-01-2013, 01:55 PM

16,584 posts, read 33,749,245 times
Two of my closest and oldest friends don't like dogs, they like cats. I'm the opposite. We manage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or