U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 08:52 PM

2,658 posts, read 10,459,228 times

Advertisements

I am opting for a pet rescue. He is coming tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 01:26 AM

323 posts, read 674,688 times
I've got a big heart for rescues.
Here's the list.
Max-12 yrs old now-Black Lab, German Shephard, Great Dane mix

Lucia-7 yrs-pure mutt. Not sure what she is

Molly-3 yrs-Golden Lab-Arrived at out place with a broken back leg dangling. She's better now and no sign of leg problems

Tiki-5-Small Chihuahua-Her back was cut up by kids with knives. I was told straight razor.

Teala-4-Tea Cup Chihuahua-Tiki's half sister-Unwanted runt of the litter

Rosita-1 yr-White Chihuahua-offered the dog breeder(I say that not nicely) enough money not to make her a breeding machine. Neither the man or woman work. They breed dogs for money in a nasty house. I met her at the local animal auction where I was rescueing cross beak chickens. Rosita fit in the palm our one hand. You just had to meet them and see the house to know what I mean.

Gidget-20 yr old Poofy Pomeranian. Going strong but takes meds for old arthur. Light case of it. Gave to us by my hubbys uncle. Wife said me or the dog. He gave us the dog and she left anyway. He told us later he should have kept the dog. She was kept in ONE room for 15 yrs.

Chocolate Chip-Doxy-2 yrs old. Very hyper and the previous owners were going to have him put down because he would get bad bladder infections. We've had him a year now and not one infection yet. Gee, did they actually give him WATER?

Monty-5 yrs-Boston Terrier-Another puppy mill.

Little Miss Dixie-16 yrs-Boston Terrior. She had mammory tumors, she's got glucoma in both eye's and is almost totally blind. The same guy that sold us Monty had her. We bought her for 25.00. It cost 700.00 for the surgeries.

We lost China Doll her sister this summer to congestive heart failure at 15 yrs old. She just fell asleep.

Jake-My sons dog is here until his house is finished. Not a rescue but a pup from a rescue female. She has a good home now.

I also have cats. Lots of them and have battled Feline Leukemia for 7 yrs. All of my possitive babies have passed now. I kept them alive with a wonderful quality of life. My vet commended me on my efforts and refers people with possitive cats. What I fed, etc. I love the little plaque he sent me. I miss my babies tho.

Instead of posting a blue million pics. here's my webshots albums.

starwalker38's photos and albums on webshots

Old 11-01-2007, 09:24 AM

768 posts, read 1,925,816 times
Another one of my crew was abandoned as a mangey pup. She had no fur whatsoever. Someone else tried to take her home but it didn't work out. She was too mouthy, she had a bad tendency to put her mouth on you and sometimes nipped. They had young children so that wouldn't work for them. I felt soooo sorry for her, I said that I would take her home and work with her.

She was a challenge. She was headstrong, independent, and mouthy. Extremely intelligent, too, but the headstrong independence made her not take to obedience training easily. The mouthiness didn't bother me as much--until she nipped me in the face three times in one weekend! Twice was in the nostril--yes, that was fun--and once was in the lip. She just got too excited and was intending on licking my face but.....overdid it. She really didn't intend to hurt me. The first time I was in shock. The second time I squealed. The third time I screamed and wailed (not yelling, more crying) and it seemed to shock her and she realized that what she was doing hurt me. Looking back, because of her mange she had been kept separate from other animals when she should have been learning from them what is a tolerable level of pain and what isn't. (Their playing with each other teaches them how to behave in the doggy world.) I could see in her face that day while I was carrying on from a painful nip that she "got it" and nipping hasn't been a problem for us since then. She will still occasionally mouth my arm when she gets overexcited, but that is rare and I just remind her not to do that. I've taught her that the best way to reach my face is to sit down in front of me, and I will lean over and let her lick me while I love on her.

It was NOT an easy journey, I am very thankful for a wonderful trainer who helped us with the obedience training and gave me a lot of insight into my girl's head. I adore my girl, and obviously have never felt the need to find her another home.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,572 times
I got mt English Bulldog & Basset Hound from breeders. They are both 5 months old now and a complete joy to have around...........except when they chew the skirting boards, rip the wallpaper off the walls, steal things off the coffee table, dribble water all over the kitchen floor and eat my sandwich when I am not looking! I love them all the same and could not be without them now. The Bulldog is called Miss Piggy and the Basset is called Dizzy, both names are very fitting for the personalities they have.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:20 PM

1,343 posts, read 4,667,966 times
Default From a previous thread....

When we finally got our house and fenced in the yard, we started looking for a large breed shelter dog. The local Humane Society has a few pictures of their adoptees in the paper every week and I had seen these two, but didn't think anymore about it because they were small dogs.

After umpteen visits to our & the two adjacent counties, we took one last look at our local shelter. We couldn't find a dog that we really felt we wanted, although each visit broke my heart, because I wanted to take THEM ALL home.

We were getting ready to leave & I asked the volunteer what happened to the little brother & sister dogs that were in the paper. He said, oh, they're in the cat room. And there they were: totally petrified by this giant hissing cat and the fact that the previous owners had dumped them in a parking lot.

Needless to say, they've been our babies since then. They are the best, smartest and most loving dogs, yet with that stubborn terrier personality. When we'd imagined the perfect dog for us, it was one, not two, but, by some twist of fate or whatever you'd call it, I remembered their picture in the paper and the rest is history.

Yes, a VERY happy story!

Old 11-14-2007, 02:15 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,180,922 times
How did you get your dog?-dsc_3500a.jpg How did you get your dog?-dsc_3508a.jpg Abby was a stray I found playing in the street near a freeway. Happily for us, her owner didn't claim her from Animal Control and she has become one the best dogs that has ever owned me.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:19 AM

98 posts, read 362,853 times
Default Great stories.....

My husband and I lived next to a couple that rescued animals. They rescued a litter of 6 that had been abandoned out in the country (rural Nebraska, where I am from). Athena was by far the smallest and she had amazingly, beautiful blue eyes. In fact, the rescuers called her 'blue eyes'. I couldn't resist her charm and she has been with us for over four years now. My post name is MWOC, but she is my baby and always will be.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:01 AM

133 posts, read 693,234 times
Local breeder.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:01 AM

12 posts, read 72,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apbt_samara View Post
so how did your get your dog? Breeder, shelter, stray, give away??? What breed and age too? Want to hear your stories.
rottie a rescue 3 yrs old lived to be 13, doberman& rottie mix a rescue 4 yrs old lived to be 9, german sheppard i rescued from the streets (starving to death) 1yr old gave to friends father,
sheltie i bought from breeder 6 weeks old lived to be 13 yrs maybe aulstralian sheppard mix i got off streets ( treated for heart worms) about 2 yrs old given to friends father that got the german sheppard. Two rat terriers 2 years old i got from my sons girl friend who didn't want them any longer, mixed breed small mutt about 7 yrs old taken from dog pound and now about 10 yrs old

Old 07-20-2008, 10:52 AM

1,263 posts, read 3,728,916 times
Got our dog, Levi in 8/07. He's a Plott hound mix, and I rescued him from the Levy County Animal Shelter. He was apparently picked up at the side of the road.

We had lost our 11 yr old Lab back that past June, and it seemed I was crying every night. I'd find myself on Lab rescue sites & Petfinder.com. Well, one night I came across a posting of Levi, stating that he was at a kill-shelter. I fell in love! I promptly called the shelter the next morning, telling them I'd be there to see him since I was getting out of work early that day (the Friday before Labor Day). My husband works nights, so he was sleeping, and I asked my neighbor to pick my son up at the school bus since I knew I wouldn't be home in time.

Levi was a big surprise for my family, but a good one. He was a difficult puppy (as most are), but he has blossomed into a wonderful dog. He just celebrated his 1st birthday earlier this month. I wouldn't trade him for the world!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or