Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 06:00 PM

15 posts, read 76,828 times

Advertisements

Everytime I take my dog outside into our back yard, either him or I will pick up TICKS!

I can't stand ticks! I treated my dog today but what can I do for the yard?

Thanks for help in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 05:24 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
Regardless of what you do for your dog, with something like Frontline, or your yard, you MUST go through his fur EVERY SINGLE DAY, to look for ticks. Look especially under the ear flaps (if he doesn't have erect ears), under his front legs and between his toes!

Old 05-23-2009, 07:43 AM

314 posts, read 1,105,258 times
There are pesticides that will get rid of the ticks, but it may be a case of the cure being worse than the disease. For the rural dogowner, Temik does an outstanding job against ticks-if you can obtain it since its a restricted-use chemical.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:48 PM

2 posts, read 29,140 times
Default Ticks

Get some FOOD GRADE diatomaceous earth, it is wonderful! It's cheap, I just discovered it, for use on my dog, and his ticks. I dusted him, and they started falling off, ICK! I grab them, and flush them, but it is great stuff. It's perfectly natural, you should check out www.earthworkshealth.com
It is also good for alot of other things, watch the video on their site. Have fun.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:31 PM

Try Diazonon granules- and if that doesn't work, I prefer the aldicarbs. Green living only goes so far when you are being exposed to some incredibly nasty tick-borne diseases.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:09 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
Here in Down East ME, I learned that ticks are so prevalent that they have to occasionally put down a moose because its been sucked to near death! Eeeck.

I've been advised that olive oil dropped on the tick, followed by a swipe with a cotton ball will wipe off the tick, until you can get that earth-stuff. (Thanks to that poster, btw, I will definitely look into getting some.)

Old 07-08-2009, 06:10 AM

I was a vet assistant through college- we occasionally would get a dog so covered with seed ticks it had to be transfused before we could treat it. The one that springs to mind was a St Bernard- the owner swore it happened over the course of a weekend.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:50 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
What are seed ticks?

I used one of the big two flea applications (advantage or frontline can't remember) and would find little dried up ticks all over the floor. Of course some would jump off after we came in and then end up on me! Hated it!

You should probably concentrate on getting rid of tick preferred habitat - long grass, long weeds. You might try Diametous Earth sprinkled in preferred tick habitat areas of yard.

See this is where allowing people to have say 2 chickens per yard would be so great. I know Guinea Hens are better insect eaters but I've heard they are very loud. Chickens I'm pretty sure would eat some of them.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:49 AM

Seed ticks are the small gray new-hatched ticks that can cover an animal quickly.

Guineas do make a difference, but they are not a viable solution unless you are in a very rural environment. They are loud and no respecters of boundaries. You will share them with your neighbors- even if they are unwilling. They are not flightless like chickens, and can cover about a 5 acre territory.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:17 PM

593 posts, read 2,894,654 times
There are insecticides at the hardware store in granular form. There are many brand names. You apply it with a spreader like with lawn fertilizer. Water it in well and wait before allowing pets and kids back on the lawn. Read the label. Most control ticks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs