U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 12:40 AM

1,177 posts, read 8,069,804 times

Advertisements

So how did your get your dog? Breeder, shelter, stray, give away??? What breed and age too? Want to hear your stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 12:44 AM

1,397 posts, read 4,391,894 times
We got Portia when she was a puppy from our cousin, who bred his German Sheperd. Portia has a little bit of a wolf in her, because her grandmother was misture of wolf and German Sheperd. But she definitely look like a GS, not a wolf.And Hef - we got him when he was 1 year old from the local shelter.

Old 10-21-2007, 01:08 AM

16,487 posts, read 21,012,959 times
We wated a Westie and I had spoken to this breeder a few times. Even though we wanted a female dog she was really pushing a certain male puppy she had. We decided to go there with the idea of getting this little boy puppy. It was Jan., winter, and the weather was bad. It was a 4 hr. drive one-way! We even had to drive over a nasty pass. We got there and she brought out this male puppy and he acted like no puppy I have ever seen. He absolutely did not make any eye contact with any of us, avoided everyone, walking along the sides of the room. We'd call him and he wanted nothing to do with anyone. Well I knew this wasn't good at all. I asked if we could see the little female. She said, well she isn't washed (she had bathed the boy before we got there knowing we were coming). I said that was ok. She brought her out and she was the complete opposite. She ran right up to us, all excited and happy, tail wagging, licking, cute as she could be. I think they knew this boy had problems and wanted to get rid of him. I also think they maybe thought of keeping the female for themselves. Well, we bought the female and still have her. She is about 8 yrs. old now and is the sweetest dog I think I have ever owned. She is excellent with our kids, barks when a stranger approaches, is good on the leash, doesn't run off when loose,and is just a good dog.

Old 10-21-2007, 01:53 AM

181 posts, read 1,003,721 times
My alternator kept draining my battery, so I call my friend, who lives in the worst part of town, to see if he could fix it for me the next day. He said to come over tonight, it was already 9:30 pm, I was like crap, I don't want to drive to that neighborhood at night, But I guess I didn't want to pay a mechanic a couple of hundred to fix my car more, so I drive over there. He takes my alternator out, we hop in his truck to drive to auto zone, on the way back, we find who would later be know as slim shady walking the streets with no collar or anything. He was about 8-10 weeks old. A pit/ American bulldog mix. He's been a pain in my ass ever since. He's my boy though, my fault for spoiling him.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:42 AM

1,177 posts, read 8,069,804 times
Lastra so your dog is only an 1/8 Wolf? Does she have any wolf tendencies or all GSD?

Brokencrayola I think you are right. It sounds like he had some serious issues, sad for him though. I wonder what happened to him?

Interesting story AZ91, how old is he now?

Old 10-21-2007, 05:47 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,284,441 times
Well, before I answer - what are you people doing up in the middle of the night???? LOL!

Clancy the mutt - about 11 years old - I watched as some people in a car threw him from the window on a cloverleaf in central Arkansas 10 years ago. I ran through the sleet to get him, he zoomed right past me, jumped in the Suburban, and he's been here since then.

Chelsea - 5 year old Rottie, adopted from rescue after I decided to dog-sit Kaiser, who was actually my son's dog for a couple of weeks until a good home could be found for him when my son went off to college...Kaiser started the love affair with the Rottweiler breed that goes on today.

Ben - also 5, sorta Rottie - came along for the ride with Chelsea to be a foster. Adopted 3 days later.

Annie - Rottie - while doing a Rottie transport, we met another driver at a vet's office in Little Rock. Little Rock Animal Control had just brought in a 2-3 year old female who was starved, hypothermic, had heartworms and intestinal worms and everything known to man....they were going to get her warm and keep her for 3 days, then send her back to the shelter to be put down. I paid for boarding, sprung her after 3 days, got her fat and healthy and spayed and heartworm treated...and she's probably about 7 now.

Kidd - Rottie , about 5 - a rescue from a dogfighting pit - again, every disease known to man except heartworms. Face broken, teeth and parts of his ears missing, infected foot, erlichia, hemolytic anemia. He was only 8 months old or so, but was going to cost thousands to fix if he made it at all. Adopted him, spent thousands, he's fine...

Miss Girl - Rottie - will be 16 in February! Adopted independently out of Mississippi when the family split. She was 12 and they were going to have her put to sleep because she was "so old" and wouldn't transition well. That was almost 4 years ago...she's still clicking along!

Holt -Rottie - 2 in January - he will be celebrating his one year anniversary with us next weekend - adopted from Majesty Rottweiler in Maryland. He had congenital glaucoma and had to have his eyes removed. I donated to his care but then he wrapped himself around my heart from a thousand miles away.....flew to Maryland and drove him back to Arkansas last October 28th! He's blind, but you'd never know it!

Chelsea, Ben, Annie, Kidd and Miss Girl all came along within 6 months of each other....sometimes I wonder where my brain was!

Pix of my crew are here:
City-Data Forum

Old 10-21-2007, 07:14 AM

960 posts, read 1,353,622 times
I was a single woman living alone and thought it was a good idea to get myself a good watchdog, as well as a great companion. One day I went to the Sheriff's Department Animal Services kennel, but all I found were rather large dogs. They were all adorable, but I hadn't seen any dogs that fit the bill. Two weeks later, I drove from one animal shelter to another. I must have driven a hundred miles that day. My last stop was the County Humane Society. They had all types breeds, puppies to seniors. I walked up one side of the kennels and down the other. I took a small "fluffy" dog for a test walk, but the dog didn't really seem all that interested in me. Fustrated with my search, I walked down the last line of cages and headed for the door leading out of the facility. Suddenly, a little black thing jumped up, and caught my eye. It was a little Miniature Pinscher. The minute I saw her, I knew I she was my dog! She was 2 1/2 years old at the time and had been in and out of the "pound" 3 times before. Her long term medical issues were not an issue for me. She is now almost 9 years old, and still acts like the 2 year old that I first met. Pound pups are the greatest.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:04 AM

13,293 posts, read 25,463,471 times
Thanks for asking!

Kona- 11-year-old Border Collie/Corgi. Got him and his brother from a backyard litter with a plan to have two mutt puppy brothers once I'd bought a house with a fence. (His brother died a few months ago from a very rare liver failure).

Dodger- 6-year-old BorderCollie/Cattle Dog mix. Got him from a local family who got him from a shelter. He's a fear biter and was running wild in a house of kids. Very good company in my adult household.

Snoopy- 8-year-old beagle, adopted by a co-worker who then "got tired of him."

Ezra- 16-year-old heeler mix, adopted from Best Friends in Utah two years ago, one of their "special needs," due to age. He grows younger every day,herding, running, delightful mutt.

Chippy- 5-year-old lab/border collie mix, from Best Friends also. She was feral, and lived shyly at B.F. for years. They suggested I take her, and she's slowly become a very endearing dog.

Eloise- 7-year-old aussie mix- coming to me from B.F. soon- also very shy, came from a hoarding situation.

I know there are many dogs closer to me than B.F. that need homes, but I am commited to Best Friends' mission and work, so take dogs that the adoption coordinator suggests to me. I'd like to get my pack down to four, but keep taking older sweeties. I have a large fenced yard, live alone, work nights, and if you adopt older dogs, they are a lot more calm. I'd never have puppies again, as adorable as they are.

Also, if something happened to me, B.F. would take its own dogs back, under any circumstances. This gives me some peace of mind in case of a sudden demise (and I've left instructions and financial donations to this effect in my legal papers).

I will continue to adopt dogs with "problems" that aren't problems for me. I love their company and love giving homeless animals a forever home.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:11 AM

95 posts, read 282,188 times
Smile How did you get your dog?

Doobie was a Chesapeake bay retriever mix my dhs dog before I meet him sweetest thing you ever did see he got him out of the paper for free at 6 weeks he died of liver failure when he was 9 yrs old.

Mojo Merlin was a white gds bought him from a so called breeder for 500. when he was 8 weeks old.
he was 13 weeks old when we had to have him put to sleep for fluid on the brain. Broke our hearts.

Dino was a great Dane mix got him from a local rescue for 275. he was 3 yrs old. He was 6 yrs old when we had to him put to sleep for intestinal cancer . Best dog I ever had the pleasure of being owned by.
My heart dog.

Kimo sabie is a saint Bernard we bought him at 9 weeks for 1100. From a local breeder. He is now 2 an a half yrs old. Best trained dog I ever had. Smart as a whip and very loving an protective. Spoiled as hell but all my fault.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:29 AM

8,191 posts, read 28,051,878 times
Shadow came from the Suncoast Humane Society.

I had recently said goodbye to an old friend, and the house was feeling quite empty. I headed to the shelter "just to look". There was her whole litter, 8 precious baby puppies in one cage. 1/2 Golden Retriever and 1/2 ??? Shadow came right up to the gate and gave me the "get me out of here" look.

24 hours later she was spayed & home learning that the cat rules, no matter who is bigger.
Attached Thumbnails
How did you get your dog?-shadow-baby.jpg   How did you get your dog?-shadow-baby-001.jpg   How did you get your dog?-shadow-baby-002.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or