Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 10:33 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,459,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcla2004 View Post
I just did some more research and discovered that a Great Pyraneese is not capable of fending off wolves. There was an attack in Montana (where I live) and the Pyraneese had been killed (attacked at the throat); very bloody. Guard Dogs protecting livestock killed by wolves | Life with Wolves
no dog can stand a chance against a wolf, let alone a coyote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 10:26 PM

8 posts, read 18,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
You are wrong. Wolves are tough and predatory, yes, but I suggest you take a look at that video that I posted. The breed of dog in that video is bred for guarding sheep, and is well known for fighting, chasing off, and even killing wolves.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:52 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
I agree with you for the most part. I can't see any dog breed killing an adult North American grey wolf in a "1 on 1" fight. Not even a Kangal, Caucasian Shepherd, or Pit Bull would win.

Old 12-26-2014, 07:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,775 times
I realize I am very late in this thread but most European flock guards will certainly do the job. Like others commented, no singular dog will be "safe" against a pack of wolves. However, if you are mostly concerned about the occasional stray wolf you have several options.

The beauty of flock guards is that while they are fierce protectors of the home against predators, they are docile with family members and even your children. Some, in fact, will protect your children with greater rigor than they will adult family members such as the Kuvacz. I owned a Polish Mountain Dog and he was a magnificent, formidable, and gorgeous guardian.

I am probably too late for this thread but if not I hope this helps.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:28 AM

2 posts, read 3,373 times
Even considering the fact, that this post is quite old, i just have to reply
My family lives with Irish Wolfhounds for years now and yes, they are the "gentle giants". But just until you provoke them enough. The IW is one of the nicest dogs in the world and he would probably never attack someone whos is friendly to the dog or his owner and who has nothing bad in mind, but since i have seen an IW snapping once, i would never want to be the one, who he is pissed of.
And originally they have been breed to hunt down wolfes, deers, mooses and even bears. And by hunt down i mean not only to track them, but to kill them.
And if you consider the fact that the original IW was a lot smaller than he is nowadays, i think that he would have a real Chance against a Wolf.
BUT! If you want to own it, than you must deal with the consequents that this Breed brings with it. They are quite easy to train, but they are also quite independent ( if you are breed to kill animals like bears you have to be) what means that you cant expect absolut obedience from them.
And I dont know about the IW Society in the US, but in Europe (exept Russia) this Breed has been pretty "destroyed".
The Goal was to produce even bigger dogs than before and the result is, that they have tons of diseases like cancer, heart condition and so one. So they wont grow very old. The average age is 5-9 years.
Greetings from Germany ( and this is the reason why you, my dear readers, should excuse my bad english. Reading is a lot easier than writing)

Old 03-06-2015, 11:14 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
Realizing that this is an old thread I still wanted to note that as others have said, if it's a pack of wolves no one dog will stand a chance against an entire pack. Wolves run in packs and numbers matter.

Also some of the livestock guardian dogs can be challenging to own and IMO not good choices for novice dog owners. So it is important to do the research on the breed.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:26 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,670,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 258 View Post
Even considering the fact, that this post is quite old, i just have to reply
My family lives with Irish Wolfhounds for years now and yes, they are the "gentle giants". But just until you provoke them enough. The IW is one of the nicest dogs in the world and he would probably never attack someone whos is friendly to the dog or his owner and who has nothing bad in mind, but since i have seen an IW snapping once, i would never want to be the one, who he is pissed of.
And originally they have been breed to hunt down wolfes, deers, mooses and even bears. And by hunt down i mean not only to track them, but to kill them.
And if you consider the fact that the original IW was a lot smaller than he is nowadays, i think that he would have a real Chance against a Wolf.
BUT! If you want to own it, than you must deal with the consequents that this Breed brings with it. They are quite easy to train, but they are also quite independent ( if you are breed to kill animals like bears you have to be) what means that you cant expect absolut obedience from them.
And I dont know about the IW Society in the US, but in Europe (exept Russia) this Breed has been pretty "destroyed".
The Goal was to produce even bigger dogs than before and the result is, that they have tons of diseases like cancer, heart condition and so one. So they wont grow very old. The average age is 5-9 years.
Greetings from Germany ( and this is the reason why you, my dear readers, should excuse my bad english. Reading is a lot easier than writing)
Welcome to the forum! I read German, but I don't think I would try to write a post in German! You come across loud and clear . A friend of mine here in California used to own IWs, but she gave up because of the heartache of losing them every 6-8 years.

I'd be curious to know about the wolf situation in Germany right now. In southern Scandinavia the wolf has made a come-back all by itself (no reintroduction), traveling up from Germany, and there are now several breeding pairs. Is the wolf becoming a problem again in Germany?

Old 03-07-2015, 05:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Welcome to the forum! I read German, but I don't think I would try to write a post in German! You come across loud and clear . A friend of mine here in California used to own IWs, but she gave up because of the heartache of losing them every 6-8 years.

I'd be curious to know about the wolf situation in Germany right now. In southern Scandinavia the wolf has made a come-back all by itself (no reintroduction), traveling up from Germany, and there are now several breeding pairs. Is the wolf becoming a problem again in Germany?
First of all, thank you for your compliment and for wecoming me (whas that right ? )
Ads yes, its really heartbreaking to loose your beloved dog after such a short time, but i wouldnt want to miss even those years.
And yes, there are wolfes back in Germany. We have about 15 Packs at this time ( no reintroduction as well)
and in Lower Saxony were i live for example they are becoming a problem right now , because a few alone traveling ones has been seen in a housing area, so a lot of people are quite scared.
But are you sure that the wolfes in southern Scandinavia had come from Germany? Because there is an ocean between those two countries (the baltic sea). Dont get me wrong, i dont want to upset you, im just confused.
Greeting from "the wolf country"

Old 03-09-2015, 08:20 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
kuvaszclubofamerica.org

I recommend a Kuvasz in a family situation. I just can not say enough good things about well bred examples of this breed. They are extremely healthy, long lived for a giant breed and very very good at their job of protecting everything that belongs to them. Although there are a couple of more formidable guardians like the Komondor for example, they are "Too sharp" for family pets and are working dogs only!!!!!

I have a friend who has a camp in northern Ontario for disadvantaged kids, mostly native kids. Anyway, the camp was plagued with wolves and bears. They were always coming around. He got a male Kuvasz and you should see the way this dog interacts with the kids. He is just fantastic. A couple of times a day, his tail goes up and off he goes running into the bush. In the 5 years he has been guarding the camp, not a single wolf or bear has been seen on the camp property and it's 250 acres in size. The wolves and bears just don't want to mess with him and get injured for their trouble so they just run off. I think that Pyrs are as good at their jobs as the Kuvasz but they have more health issues and their coats mat worse.
The Kuvasz breeder near me here in Ontario has the best dogs in North America. If anyone is ever interested in one just Pmail me.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:58 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
Great Pyrenees
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs